Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scout camp

Comments

• Options
    Was in 9th Orpington Beavers then Cubs.  Red pack.  Great times. 

• Options
    Veteran of G57 (Greenwich SAS Division) and used to meet up at Charlton URC Hall up Bramshot Avenue, before taking our outfit up to John Roan. 

We always used the Scouts Camp at Downe near Biggin Hill, can't remember what time of year, just rememebr other Scout troops going Canada and places like that and we'd go to Downe, 5 minutes up the road
    Must have been around the time my brother in law Brian Warwick was there.  I was in the Commandos G54 patrolling out of Charlton Manor school.

My mate had trouble at home and wanted to get away so we got some stuff together and got the train to Bromley and the bus to Downe village. Got some bread and jam from the village shop and trekked to Downe camp and bunked in. Got the key from the lady in the house at top of the lane and had it to ourselves for a few days until we ran out of bread and jam.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Chizz said:
    How would you cook baked beans without a pan? 
    In the tin. Place in the ashes.
    Yep this is how we did it in Cubs... Only a mere 25 years or so ago. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    I am a scout helper in Dartford, yes we do still cook on fires and the kids love it. 
    Justin, which Group are you with? I retired ater a spell of bad health and pressure of work just over 10 years ago. However I had been in Dartford scouting for much of my life. The two Group's I was involved with were 8th Dartford and Sutton. 
    @redman I am at 9th Dartford, by Dunelm on Heath Lane.
    @Justin20474   Yes I know. I don't suppose Neil Gearing still has anything to do with that group does he? 
  • Options
    Veteran of G57 (Greenwich SAS Division) and used to meet up at Charlton URC Hall up Bramshot Avenue, before taking our outfit up to John Roan. 

We always used the Scouts Camp at Downe near Biggin Hill, can't remember what time of year, just rememebr other Scout troops going Canada and places like that and we'd go to Downe, 5 minutes up the road
    Must have been around the time my brother in law Brian Warwick was there.  I was in the Commandos G54 patrolling out of Charlton Manor school.

My mate had trouble at home and wanted to get away so we got some stuff together and got the train to Bromley and the bus to Downe village. Got some bread and jam from the village shop and trekked to Downe camp and bunked in. Got the key from the lady in the house at top of the lane and had it to ourselves for a few days until we ran out of bread and jam.
    Was he the leader, married to Jasmin?
  • Options
    redman said:
    redman said:
    I am a scout helper in Dartford, yes we do still cook on fires and the kids love it. 
    Justin, which Group are you with? I retired ater a spell of bad health and pressure of work just over 10 years ago. However I had been in Dartford scouting for much of my life. The two Group's I was involved with were 8th Dartford and Sutton. 
    @redman I am at 9th Dartford, by Dunelm on Heath Lane.
    @Justin20474   Yes I know. I don't suppose Neil Gearing still has anything to do with that group does he? 
    Yes, he certainly is, he is the group scout leader for 9th and also one of the leaders of the scout section. I have known Neil once I started and have been on many camps with him and Des Harris.
  • Options

Was he the leader, married to Jasmin?
    No he was just a scout. He was heavily involved in the annual Greenwich Gang Shows.
  • Options
    @RolandsOut one of my boys did that last year (aged 8) with Boys Brigade.

He loved it, I can’t remember ever feeling so apprehensive while he was away!
    The Boy's Brigade, oh those were the days. None of that stupid 'dib dib dib' malarkey and 'Arkela, we will do our best' stuff. Absolutely loved the Boy's Brigade and actually met up with my old Captain when in Norfolk last year but I digress. We went on some great summer camps - Harlech, Isle of Wight, Burnham on Sea, Seaford to name a few. Very fond memories of being in The Boy's Brigade.
    Fortunately, in our group there are none of Kipling's names (but believe other groups still do use some) and thankfully the dibs ended ages ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was in the cubs at Deansfield school or it might have been in the scout 'hut' off Rochester Way. Maybe 9th Royal Eltham or something like that. On St Georges's day we would parade with flags aka the Boys Brigade.  
    My scout group was in Forest Hill and we camped at Shoreham, Kent, which is one of the loveliest places in the world.
  • Options
    I was in the cubs as a kid many years ago.  Based out of St Peter's church hall in Woolwich (the 36th I think).  Remember going to Downe a good few times.  Mostly in tents, but once in one of the big huts, where I seem to remember the bunks were three high.  Preferred the tents and we felt we we'd made it when we managed to sneak a few tins of Bass Shandy in...glad to say I soon progressed from the weak stuff!!!  :smiley:
  • Options
    Went to the Downe site when in the cubs. Based in the church hall in Kidbrooke Park Road. 

Cooked sausages in aluminium foil. Always burnt on the outside but not cooked in the middle!!
  • Options
    @RolandsOut one of my boys did that last year (aged 8) with Boys Brigade.

He loved it, I can’t remember ever feeling so apprehensive while he was away!
    The Boy's Brigade, oh those were the days. None of that stupid 'dib dib dib' malarkey and 'Arkela, we will do our best' stuff. Absolutely loved the Boy's Brigade and actually met up with my old Captain when in Norfolk last year but I digress. We went on some great summer camps - Harlech, Isle of Wight, Burnham on Sea, Seaford to name a few. Very fond memories of being in The Boy's Brigade.
    That sort of disrespect to us chaps that were proudly led by Akela and Bargheera and aspired to be the 'Sixer' or even, in our wildest dreams, the Chief Scout, could lead to a very nasty punch-up in the Makro's car park!
  • Options
    another tick for the G54 group based at Charlton Manor School, remember camping at Downe - am sure I did my swimming badge there in their pool which was absolutely ice cold.

wasn't in the cubs for long, but definitely remember enjoying it
  • Options
    another tick for the G54 group based at Charlton Manor School, remember camping at Downe - am sure I did my swimming badge there in their pool which was absolutely ice cold.

wasn't in the cubs for long, but definitely remember enjoying it
    What year was you there.
    There were two camps from memory one was for Greenwich troops only, near to Downe village, the other with the open air swimming pool a little further on.  Only went there once I think.
  • Options
    early - mid 80's 
  • Options

An activity centre used by generations of scouts and school children is to be sold due to the impact of the pandemic.

The Downe Scout Activity Centre, on the Bromley-Kent border, was set up in 1929 by Scout Association founder Lord Baden-Powell to train scout leaders.

The hostel and conference centre, Baden-Powell House in South Kensington, London, will also be sold.

The Scout Association said a "drastic downturn" in income since March had led to "severe financial difficulty".

It added that a "massive drop in commercial activity" had already resulted in a number of difficult decisions, including cutting services and making 100 redundancies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-54842923

• Options
    Sad times
  • Options

I was in the 9th Dartford cubs and scouts. 

Looking back, I suspect that my first "camping" with the Cubs would have been in one of the lodges at Downe, I would have been young and it was all very exciting!

The furthest I went with the Scouts was Poole I think, where we camped. I remember visiting Brownsea Island.
    We were always in tents mate. Not good for my brother and fellow scouts one time as about 6 of us was in a tent, with me at one end and at the top of a small slope and I used to wet the bed. 
    Wanna get that checked out  - might be kidney problems 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:

An activity centre used by generations of scouts and school children is to be sold due to the impact of the pandemic.

The Downe Scout Activity Centre, on the Bromley-Kent border, was set up in 1929 by Scout Association founder Lord Baden-Powell to train scout leaders.

The hostel and conference centre, Baden-Powell House in South Kensington, London, will also be sold.

The Scout Association said a "drastic downturn" in income since March had led to "severe financial difficulty".

It added that a "massive drop in commercial activity" had already resulted in a number of difficult decisions, including cutting services and making 100 redundancies.

Spent many a happy time there as a cub
  • Options
    Got one in beavers and one in Cubs. 
    They love it. 
    Weekends at Thriftwood camp Brentwood. 
    Overnight stays at the secret nuclear bunker. 
  • Options
    clive said:

Spent many a happy time there as a cub
    Thats very said, both my girls have had camps there 3/4 times with the brownies/guides. Surprised the Scouting Network couldn't do fundraisers to try and save it.
  • Options
    9th Lewisham North. Nothing tastes like breakfast cooked over a wood fire. A word of advice - always remembet to soap your billy..
  • Options
    9th Lewisham North. Nothing tastes like breakfast cooked over a wood fire. A word of advice - always remembet to soap your billy..
    I was in the 9th. What years? 
  • Options
    Ambulance service always used the downe camp for “Accident Management” training for all newbies, so they’ll be hit at the loss of the camp 

I was in Sunfields Cubs (up at the royal standard) in the 70s for a year or so and loved  it
  • Options
    Talal said:
    1960-1980

• Options
    I was in the cubs in the 60s & never once got to go camping, I wouldn't mind but my Mum was the bloody Akela. She was in the scouting movement for over 50 years & went to Windsor Castle & received a presentation from the Queen Mum for services to scouting. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    1960-1980

👍 Before I was born! 
  • Options
    8th Royal eltham, camping in the late 70's early 80's was not good. Tents didn't have a floor you just had a ground sheet, the wind and rain would come in, of which there was always loads!