Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton furlough staff

Comments

• Options
    Copied from the bonkers thread.

Why would you pay the extra 20% if you don't have any money coming in and weren't obliged to? Nothing to read into this.
    Because it’s the right thing to do - let’s not forget how many times they have been shit upon in the past we well. 
    Maybe you should try running a business during the current pandemic then you would see how utterly ridiculous that statement is.

I must buy you a pint next time I go to The Valley.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    The furlough scheme is designed to protect jobs that would otherwise have been made redundant. Redundancy: work of that nature has diminished or ceased at that location.
    Why would anyone be against any organisation using a scheme to protect jobs, rather than throw people out of work? Why is a football club different to a restaurant, pub, hairdressers et al?
    We are not talking about £50k a week footballers here - these are operational staff, many of whom would not be on much more than the minimum wage.

I get this. But theoretically we're owned by a man with a lot of money. So why isn't he offering to top up the remaining 20%? You know, since he's "Red Army" and all that. 

This is not a question for you Bob, more a rhetorical one. 
  • Options
    I can’t see why some people think it’s wrong . It’s a sensible decision that most firms have had to make . 
  • Options
    Can’t see the problem myself, just surprised it hasn’t happened sooner.
  • Options
    Agree with others that its a sensible decision, yet people are using it to attack the club read the responses to that tweet and pretty much all of them are saying it proves TN has no money.

Does it?
    Or is he trying to be sensible and not lose any extra money with no revenue currently coming in.
  • Options
    Agree with others that its a sensible decision, yet people are using it to attack the club read the responses to that tweet and pretty much all of them are saying it proves TN has no money.

Does it?
    Or is he trying to be sensible and not lose any extra money with no revenue currently coming in.
    Or course it doesn't prove it but can anyone say with confidence that they expect money to be put in? I'd say it's looking extremely unlikely. 
  • Options
    let's get real here, there are many companies furloughing staff and not toping up the wages, not pleasant for the staff on furlough but better than being made redundant which is the other option for companies with no income but still have overheads.
  • Options

Why would you pay the extra 20% if you don't have any money coming in and weren't obliged to? Nothing to read into this.
    Because it’s the right thing to do - let’s not forget how many times they have been shit upon in the past we well. 
    Where should the money for the extra 20% come from considering there's currently no income coming in to the business?
  • Options
    Out of interest, does anybody know if the government scheme actually allows firms to not pay the 20% when the government is paying 80% ? Surely the intention is to pay 80% of the wages, which charlton are now saying are only 80% of what they were.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    let's get real here, there are many companies furloughing staff and not toping up the wages, not pleasant for the staff on furlough but better than being made redundant which is the other option for companies with no income but still have overheads.
    Our company have now furloughed 11 members of staff. I’d like to be furloughed but they see me as an essential staff member. I believe that on furlough you are in reality no worse off. Savings on buying lunch, coffees, petrol or other travel and other incidentals plus savings on things like Sky subscriptions etc without taking into account mortgage holidays and most people’s jobs will be there for them at the end of this.
  • Options
    I find it strange that the medical department have been specified as included in the furlough.
    Surely with players on self training programmes, then their fitness should be monitored, even if remotely looking at data, and any niggles/injuries assessed and programmes adjusted.
    also unclear whether the ground staff are included. You won be able to get pitches and training areas up to scratch overnight if they are left unmaintained for a month or 2. Also not sure that all players have adequate accommodation to undertake the programmes. I know Lyle Taylor has been seen out (on his own) on the pitches at the training ground.
  • Options

Where should the money for the extra 20% come from considering there's currently no income coming in to the business?
    I do know that if Southall hadn’t gone on his spending spree there would be a hell of a lot of money available to have covered the 20% that people are missing out on - for how long, I don’t know.   Obviously if there is no source of income you can’t just find money. It just seems a bit unjust that money was squandered that could have been put to better use. 
  • Options
    Out of interest, does anybody know if the government scheme actually allows firms to not pay the 20% when the government is paying 80% ? Surely the intention is to pay 80% of the wages, which charlton are now saying are only 80% of what they were.

There is no obligation for the employer to top-up the 20%, although many will be doing so if cash flow allows.
  • Options
    The extra 20% is an optional top up at the discretion of the employer 
  • Options
    Completely the right decision from the club 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

There is no obligation for the employer to top-up the 20%, although many will be doing so if cash flow allows.
    and many won’t even if cash flow does allow as they will just see it as an excuse to save money.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

and many won’t even if cash flow does allow as they will just see it as an excuse to save money.

There's always some ....
  • Options

Maybe you should try running a business during the current pandemic then you would see how utterly ridiculous that statement is.

I must buy you a pint next time I go to The Valley.
    I should imagine he will want to enjoy going to football, no need to ruin it for him. 
  • Options

I do know that if Southall hadn’t gone on his spending spree there would be a hell of a lot of money available to have covered the 20% that people are missing out on - for how long, I don’t know.   Obviously if there is no source of income you can’t just find money. It just seems a bit unjust that money was squandered that could have been put to better use. 
    Do we know if the money that Nimer has shown us post Social Media meltdown has actually been paid to all those listed?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    at the moment is there a lot for the staff to do ? .. better to stay at home on 80% than be made redundant .. the government/tax payer will be picking up the tab and I am sure that many other football club fans will be cheesed off at the thought of subsidising CAFC as well as other club's personnel .. has Southall been furloughed ? .. though in his case defenestration or at best eviction would be well in order
  • Options

Totally agree with regards to Southall, the bloke is a lower than a snakes belly thief and I hope he gets taken to the cleaners, but we are where we are at the moment
  • Options
    My only real question would be why didn't this happen weeks ago?
    it did
  • Options

Does it?
    I mean the thing that proves that TN doesn’t have any money to put in us that he hasn’t put any money in (unless I’ve missed something, disengaged with the “bonkers” thread a couple of weeks ago).

This is probably a good business move, wish we could have topped up the 20% for those impacted. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Does it?
    I mean the thing that proves that TN doesn’t have any money to put in us that he hasn’t put any money in (unless I’ve missed something, disengaged with the “bonkers” thread a couple of weeks ago).

This is probably a good business move, wish we could have topped up the 20% for those impacted. 
    Obviously this isn't the thread to discuss this lol, but I dont get people saying this.

Why does he need to put loads of money in right this second, as long as the club has enough to survive then its ok, then we will see what money gets put in when the transfer window is open and we are able to actually spend money
  • Options
    Inevitable unfortunately & why wouldn't the club use the Govt Scheme to protect jobs, this bloody virus is a menace. 
  • Options

My company is topping it up... Why would you purposefully leave your staff financially compromised?
  • Options
    My only real question would be why didn't this happen weeks ago?
    it did
    Surprised no one heard about the furlough if it did happen.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Furlough has been introduced to enable businesses to offset cost and ensure there is a business to return to. Millions are furloughed. I don't see why Charlton doing this is wrong? 
    The only wrong thing is to not pay the 20% top up on salaries. I can't imagine many of our staff are on more than £2.5k a month anyway so it's not going to be a lot of topping up. Compare that to our players that I am certain they are still claiming full salaries. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

My company is topping it up... Why would you purposefully leave your staff financially compromised?
    Staff wages are usually paid for by profits. It's not necessarily about leaving staff compromised, but topping up the 20% when your business is closed is not an option for many businesses.