Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Charlton ‘golden period’

Comments

• Options
    We started to finally get some decent music in the sixties. That coincided with my first full season 63/64 when we came fourth. Kenning and Glover flying down the wings with Firmani leading the line and Bailey driving on from midfield.
    Season 68/69 was equally as good with Firmani as manager and Tees and Treacy knocking in the goals.I loved that era.

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Forgetting the football side of it for moment, I look back fondly on the early to late 80s when I hung around with the B Mob. Travelling to far flung shitholes where we had to watch each other’s back. A tight knit group, often going out on the piss Friday night before an away game or sat night after a home game

fun times !!
    I know it's not PC now but it was the off the field activities from 1970 til the late 80s that provided laughs, friendships and a few black eyes and broken noses. Wouldn't change it for the world though.
    Ever do the spanners?
  • Options
    Interesting to know if your golden period revolves around your favourite player(s). For me it does really, as per my name I fell in love with Charlton when seeing Paul Mortimer play in 88-91 period. Yes we got whalloped a few times and suffered a relegation but i could watch him play all day. When he left i was so gutted and it coincided with some forgetful seasons for me. Then the messiah returned and 94-99ish, although he only played on the rare occasions he wasnt injured, it was great to have a "favourite".

Always liked a maverick style player, so the Kermogant years I also loved, he was so good, i even considered changing my name to KermorgantwasGod!!
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Forgetting the football side of it for moment, I look back fondly on the early to late 80s when I hung around with the B Mob. Travelling to far flung shitholes where we had to watch each other’s back. A tight knit group, often going out on the piss Friday night before an away game or sat night after a home game

fun times !!
    I know it's not PC now but it was the off the field activities from 1970 til the late 80s that provided laughs, friendships and a few black eyes and broken noses. Wouldn't change it for the world though.
    Ever do the spanners?
    Only when they made an unscheduled visit.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

fun times !!
    Ever do the spanners?
    Go on.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

fun times !!
    Ever do the spanners?
    Go on.
    Barnsley at home  (@stonemuse ?) they turned up expecting to lord it up but were chased onto the grassy knoll where our Police room is now. Most ran but some got caught.

This led to repercussions that went on for a while because most of us were known to each other. 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

fun times !!
    Ever do the spanners?
    Go on.
    Barnsley at home  (@stonemuse ?) they turned up expecting to lord it up but were chased onto the grassy knoll where our Police room is now. Most ran but some got caught.

This led to repercussions that went on for a while because most of us were known to each other. 
    Yup, remember it well mate 
  • Options
    1985 - 1988

My first Charlton game was in 1982 aged 14. As a kid like many I had been a TV Liverpool fan as they won everything that was there to be won. I saw Liverpool in a Charity shield game around the early 80's. I had been to a few games by 1985 and had done a few away games too. In 1985 I went to the third round FA cup game away to Tottenham. My memory which may well be flawed was that we packed out the away end and the atmosphere was cracking. I remember going mental when Aizlewood scored ( I think) and as we walked back to the tube singing "well see you at the Valley" I felt proper Charlton.  I think that's where  it all became real and alive and I felt part of something. In 1988 I remember the Chelsea away game vividly when they had the relegation play offs and we avoided them with the 1-1 draw. There was a big turn out at Stamford Bridge and it stayed in the memory to this day

I enjoyed the premiership years and the ups and downs in between. but I think 85-88 was the period that I grew into a proper football supporter of my local club did some home games and away games and became an Addick

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

fun times !!
    Ever do the spanners?
    Go on.

So they got another victory later...............
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

fun times !!
    Ever do the spanners?
    Go on.

So they got another victory later...............
    Some you win, some you lose. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    holyjo said:
    1985 - 1988

My first Charlton game was in 1982 aged 14. As a kid like many I had been a TV Liverpool fan as they won everything that was there to be won. I saw Liverpool in a Charity shield game around the early 80's. I had been to a few games by 1985 and had done a few away games too. In 1985 I went to the third round FA cup game away to Tottenham. My memory which may well be flawed was that we packed out the away end and the atmosphere was cracking. I remember going mental when Aizlewood scored ( I think) and as we walked back to the tube singing "well see you at the Valley" I felt proper Charlton.  I think that's where  it all became real and alive and I felt part of something. In 1988 I remember the Chelsea away game vividly when they had the relegation play offs and we avoided them with the 1-1 draw. There was a big turn out at Stamford Bridge and it stayed in the memory to this day

I enjoyed the premiership years and the ups and downs in between. but I think 85-88 was the period that I grew into a proper football supporter of my local club did some home games and away games and became an Addick

You remember well, holyjo - atmosphere was indeed cracking in that packed away end at White Hart Lane.  January 1985: we were bottom of the Second Division, and Spurs were doing well in the First.  Aizlewood scored for us, and at 1-1 in the last minute, Mike Flanagan broke clear with only Ray Clemence to beat - and put it an inch wide of the post.  The FA Cup was taken seriously in those days.  We lost the replay at The Valley, 1-2.  
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    I'd agree with the OP. I loved the Selhurst teams; Humphrey, Melrose, Crooks, Leaburn, Williams, Bennett, Pates, Miller, Mortimer etc etc. I was doing most of the aways then too and saw all the memorable ones, except Chelsea 1-1 draw!!!! (I'd just been made 1st XI cricket captain, so felt obliged to do that instead!!!) 

In our 1986-87 season, our little group of about 3 or 4 decided we would do a pub crawl before every home, working our way week by week, down from Victoria Station to Selhurst. It took ages, as we did every pub we could see through Victoria, Battersea (that was interesting, even on a Sat morning!), Clapham Junction, Balham (The Balham Hotel was a bit lively) etc etc. I don't think we finished it until sometime the following season. We used to turn up lashed but still able to remember the games! Very very occasionally we could sneak into the Clifton Arms by the Holmesdale End literally just before kick-off, as I'm not sure it was ever really open to Charlton fans? 

After that crawl was exhausted, we embarked on another one; attempting some sort of route from Charlton to Selhurst. I know one day, we got a bit involved in the Deptford/New Cross area somewhere and had to jump in a black cab to make kick-off. I seem to remember a tiny pub, I think in Deptford, that had a circular pool table. You twisted it round to your standing position each time because there was no room to walk round it! 

I also really loved my early period at The Valley 1982 to 1985 (especially 1982-83). Simonsen, Hales, Johns, Robinson, Lennie, Gritt.....classic games, Chelsea, Wolves, Ipswich, Bolton and often classic fightbacks. 
    The Clifton Arms was always open for Charlton fans,the landlord Dave Harper made us welcome he did play for Orient and Millwall.His son worked behind the jump and was a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Yep 1987-1992.

Young, had my own money & loved the players (especially Carl).
  • Options
    68/69 season for me. We played some fantastic football that season just come up short in the bid for promotion. I can still name the players without having to think. Wright,Curtis,Kinsey, Reeves ,Went, Moore,Peacock,Gregory,Tees,,Treacy&Campbell
    15th April 1969......

Acorns to Oak Tr........👍👍

• Options
    Ps.....

Millwall FFS...,. 😩

• Options
    And before these games-Lost 4-3 home to Scumwall
    won away at Cardiff
    beat Pompey and Norwich at home - Great team and great era -Oh what might have been had we gone up.Loved that team.
    Move on to the 70's and there was as much going on off  the pitch as on it.
    Just can't compare the game and stadiums/ fans to today.
    On the pitch Hales/Flanagan/Powell and Peacock
    off the pitch and in the Coveredend and building a lifetime of memories and friends I am still proud to have to today including Blackpool 72
    Happy days
  • Options
    Well I'm a senior, so I was thinking about 68-69, the Treacy-Tees team; or the Derek Hales years, when from Portsmouth (at Uni) and Grimsby I went off on awaydays to places like Bournemouth  Aldershot and Chesterfield. But the thing was, we got stuffed there. I mean twice, at Aldershot!!. So I'm with @Garrymanilow about the 1998-2004 time. By that time I had moved abroad, and so going to the Valley was "coming home" in a very intense way, and  the fact that the opponents would be Man Utd, or Liverpool or Arsenal, after all that had gone before, that for me makes them  the Golden years
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    My golden era is from 5 December 1992 to 25 May 1998.
    We returned to The Valley and step by step, with the fans and the club in perfect harmony, we improved the club on and off the pitch, culminating in that wonderful day at Wembley when we won our place in the Premier League for the first time. 
    Culminating in your user name too.  :smiley:
  • Options
    And before these games-Lost 4-3 home to Scumwall
    won away at Cardiff
    beat Pompey and Norwich at home - Great team and great era -Oh what might have been had we gone up.Loved that team.
    Move on to the 70's and there was as much going on off  the pitch as on it.
    Just can't compare the game and stadiums/ fans to today.
    On the pitch Hales/Flanagan/Powell and Peacock
    off the pitch and in the Coveredend and building a lifetime of memories and friends I am still proud to have to today including Blackpool 72
    Happy days
    Great days indeed Stevie boy.
    Definitely my favourite time as a Charlton supporter. 
    The worse time for me was at sellout. 
    As for the future let's just hope we have a club to support. 

Stay safe everyone. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    BR3red said:
    Ps.....

Millwall FFS...,. 😩

51 years on and I can remember that last game against Preston as if it was yesterday. I know we couldn't go up if we won (f*cking Palace) but wanted to finish the season with a bang. Two penalties missed - Gregory and Curtis (and Bob didn't miss many!).

68/69 was a great season though - almost but not quite. 74/75 made up for it though and that Tuesday night against Preston again is still one of my best memories.

• Options
    1975- 1981 . Started with promotion.  Ended with promotion. 

Was young and just getting into football in 75 and quickly grew to love the atmosphere and emotions of the game  goal celebrations,  etc. 

Watching Charlton was exciting,  win,  lose or draw there was drama and goals galore. 

First away game outside London was the 5.5 at Eastville in 78 at the age of 12 on Lewis coaches.  
  • Options
    May 98 to summer 2004. I was 14 when we won the play-off final, to have those successful Curbishley years as I was in my teens and then at university was a magnificent time.

The two are completely intertwined and the memories of the days when I first started going away, watching the biggest teams at The Valley, the push towards the European places, incredible.

Cut off comes post Parker leaving, never the same since. But what awesome years they were.
  • Options
    Definitely, the Selhurst Years , St Andrews never to be forgotten .
    I did every game in a season home and away back then Including cup stuff ,not sure which season , will have to look to confirm , how many Charlton freaks have got that on their CV 

• Options
    I did every game in a season home and away back then Including cup stuff ,not sure which season , will have to look to confirm , how many Charlton freaks have got that on their CV 

I did home and away 87-88 but not all cup games
  • Options

Coming out of St Andrews, privileged to be one of the FEW there.
    15th May 2005, eclipses all our suffering.
    Bauer's goal, better than sex.
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    1985 - 1988

You remember well, holyjo - atmosphere was indeed cracking in that packed away end at White Hart Lane.  January 1985: we were bottom of the Second Division, and Spurs were doing well in the First.  Aizlewood scored for us, and at 1-1 in the last minute, Mike Flanagan broke clear with only Ray Clemence to beat - and put it an inch wide of the post.  The FA Cup was taken seriously in those days.  We lost the replay at The Valley, 1-2.  
    Was there a tier above the away fans that day with Tottenham in ?...... testing my memories here 😊
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    holyjo said:
    1985 - 1988

Was there a tier above the away fans that day with Tottenham in ?...... testing my memories here 😊
    iirc , Charlton fans stood in the bottom section and Spurs were in the seats above , not really a tier , a bit like the old halfawake stand at selhurst 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    holyjo said:
    holyjo said:
    1985 - 1988

iirc , Charlton fans stood in the bottom section and Spurs were in the seats above , not really a tier , a bit like the old halfawake stand at selhurst 
    Thankyou - that confirms my memory too -including Spurs fans throwing beer off the top when we scored . I’ll move on now 😊
  • Options
    If only Flash had put that last minute chance away.  Mind you,  we made bloody hard work of that penalty lol.  Great goal celebrations though. 

The replay was more eventful off the pitch than on it sadly.