Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Charlton ‘golden period’

124»

Comments

• Options
    holyjo said:
    holyjo said:
    holyjo said:
    1985 - 1988

My first Charlton game was in 1982 aged 14. As a kid like many I had been a TV Liverpool fan as they won everything that was there to be won. I saw Liverpool in a Charity shield game around the early 80's. I had been to a few games by 1985 and had done a few away games too. In 1985 I went to the third round FA cup game away to Tottenham. My memory which may well be flawed was that we packed out the away end and the atmosphere was cracking. I remember going mental when Aizlewood scored ( I think) and as we walked back to the tube singing "well see you at the Valley" I felt proper Charlton.  I think that's where  it all became real and alive and I felt part of something. In 1988 I remember the Chelsea away game vividly when they had the relegation play offs and we avoided them with the 1-1 draw. There was a big turn out at Stamford Bridge and it stayed in the memory to this day

I enjoyed the premiership years and the ups and downs in between. but I think 85-88 was the period that I grew into a proper football supporter of my local club did some home games and away games and became an Addick

You remember well, holyjo - atmosphere was indeed cracking in that packed away end at White Hart Lane.  January 1985: we were bottom of the Second Division, and Spurs were doing well in the First.  Aizlewood scored for us, and at 1-1 in the last minute, Mike Flanagan broke clear with only Ray Clemence to beat - and put it an inch wide of the post.  The FA Cup was taken seriously in those days.  We lost the replay at The Valley, 1-2.  
    Was there a tier above the away fans that day with Tottenham in ?...... testing my memories here 😊
    iirc , Charlton fans stood in the bottom section and Spurs were in the seats above , not really a tier , a bit like the old halfawake stand at selhurst 
    Thankyou - that confirms my memory too -including Spurs fans throwing beer off the top when we scored . I’ll move on now 😊
    Your memories are sharper than mine - I can't recall Aizlewood's goal, nor Spurs fans in the upper tier.  What is seared in my mind is Flash breaking free from the halfway line in the last minute, rushing towards us in the away end.  Ray Clemence advanced - and Flash rolled the ball an inch wide of the post.  
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    If only Flash had put that last minute chance away.  Mind you,  we made bloody hard work of that penalty lol.  Great goal celebrations though. 

The replay was more eventful off the pitch than on it sadly. 
    Pretty sure it went in at about the third attempt, including an effort from Gritt ! Seem to recall it being Charlton’s 4000th goal too. Great away following and as you say, if only !

• Options
    Aizelwood took the penalty, Clembce saved it, Gritt followed up the rebound, Clemence saved again for the ball to drop in front of an empty net where Aizlewood stroked it home.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Aizelwood took the penalty, Clembce saved it, Gritt followed up the rebound, Clemence saved again for the ball to drop in front of an empty net where Aizlewood stroked it home.
    E_cafc said:
    If only Flash had put that last minute chance away.  Mind you,  we made bloody hard work of that penalty lol.  Great goal celebrations though. 

The replay was more eventful off the pitch than on it sadly. 
    Pretty sure it went in at about the third attempt, including an effort from Gritt ! Seem to recall it being Charlton’s 4000th goal too. Great away following and as you say, if only !

Superb power of recall, you two.  Can't find the game on YouTube - but here are the goals in the replay.  Ronnie Moore winning - then scoring from - a penalty!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Y7cPrPwEY