Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kevin Lisbie Interview with Matt Holland

Currently live on Instagram talking about all Football but currently on Charlton

https://www.instagram.com/kevin_lisbie/live/

Mentioned that there was one away game when Rommedahl was sitting in Ugg Boots because he was cold

Even they admitted he couldnt cross the ball

Comments

• Talal said:
    Another one about Hermann (apologies if common knowledge). Been listening to the Peter Crouch podcast and he said HH would wrestle every new signing, once breaking Glen Little's arm.
    Safe to say Hermann was a character. 
    HH broke Glen Little's toe.  Between them and the physio, they decided not to tell Harry Redknapp. 
  • Oh was it toe, shows how much I was paying attention. 
  • edited April 2020
    Currently live on Instagram talking about all Football but currently on Charlton

Mentioned that there was one away game when Rommedahl was sitting in Ugg Boots because he was cold

His goal against the filth justified his salary with us.

A decent one up at Newcastle as well, although not so important!
    Was at that Newcastle game, should have beaten them that day as Charlton controlled the game when we equalised

Talal said:
    Another one about Hermann (apologies if common knowledge). Been listening to the Peter Crouch podcast and he said HH would wrestle every new signing, once breaking Glen Little's arm.
    Safe to say Hermann was a character. 
    Not to mention he also threw Lisbie across the floor in a nightclub for no reason

Shows how good the unity there was in that Charlton team that they were able to just laugh about it

(cant imagine there would have been issues afterwards as we saw with Todd / Kiely that Curbs didnt mess around)
  • Currently live on Instagram talking about all Football but currently on Charlton

Every goal Dennis got was great - just a shame they were all away from home.
  • Currently live on Instagram talking about all Football but currently on Charlton

"Dennis in the last minute" 

You do realise it was at Selhurst? Or am I being whooshed?

I still love that Curbs persuaded him to join Charlton, I remember being really made-up about it.
    I know he probably didn't deliver all that was expected, but that was probs less to do with him then with us not being quite good enough to accommodate him.
    Anyway, I'll slap anyone I hear dissing him.
    When I say slap, I mean I will look very fierce.

Says the midfielder who couldn't tackle or pass the ball forwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2020

I still love that Curbs persuaded him to join Charlton, I remember being really made-up about it.
    I know he probably didn't deliver all that was expected, but that was probs less to do with him then with us not being quite good enough to accommodate him.
    I have never played football at any level, but even I could see that DR didn't want the ball with his back to goal.  He may have been a shit crosser into a crowded box but if we passed for him to run onto, 1v1 or 2v2 it may have been different.
    Yeah we really didnt play to his strengths, the few times we did he was unplayable

Didnt he put in another really good performance @ Middlesbrough?

Ultimately the biggest disappointed was the fact he couldnt get Mark van Bommel to sign for us (if ever we were truly interested)
  • What I could never understand why Curbs didn’t leave DR on the halfway line when we were defending corners. A quick ball out would have stretched any defence with DR’s pace.

Yes, I was there.  Why the question?

I have never played football at any level, but even I could see that DR didn't want the ball with his back to goal.  He may have been a shit crosser into a crowded box but if we passed for him to run onto, 1v1 or 2v2 it may have been different.
    Yeah we really didnt play to his strengths, the few times we did he was unplayable

Ultimately the biggest disappointed was the fact he couldnt get Mark van Bommel to sign for us (if ever we were truly interested)

3-0 game very early in the season on television.
  • boggzy said:

Says the midfielder who couldn't tackle or pass the ball forwards.
    Sake.
  • What I could never understand why Curbs didn’t leave DR on the halfway line when we were defending corners. A quick ball out would have stretched any defence with DR’s pace.
    Curbs would often bring everyone back which I found frustrating. 

Thats the one... Stephan Anderson played in goal and had a really good couple of games before being replaced by Myhre
  • I remember the Rommedahl signing when we completed it felt like we were really stepping up from little Charlton to a serious Prem team who should be looking to challenge to get into Europe consistently. Every time he was on the teamsheet I felt that he just needed that one burst away from an opposition player to cause some damage, but it almost never happened. I view him as a bit of a watershed for Charlton; I always think that if he'd lived up to his potential we might have been able to attract a few more higher reputation players and turned a corner, we might have had at least one season in Europe and Curbs wouldn't have felt like he'd reached the end when he did. Obviously it wasn't all Dennis's fault but I always associate him with that point where as a club Charlton failed to push on through their ceiling and ultimately started to drift back down to where we are now
  • Sponsored links:

We had Bent, Rommedhal, Murphy and Smertin running the show for those first few games. Incredible attacking football, suited to all of them.

As I remember we had a capitulation against Spurs or Blackburn at The Valley and Curbishley decided from thereon in it was eleven men behind the ball all the bloody time, which really wasted their talent, (especially Rommedhal), and completely pissed off Murphy. I don't like the bloke but he was initially vocally positive about our getting into Europe the chemistry they had and the way they were playing in those early games.

Big reason Smertin wanted out too I think.

Typical Charlton... "what might have been"
  • edited April 2020
    I remember the Rommedahl signing when we completed it felt like we were really stepping up from little Charlton to a serious Prem team who should be looking to challenge to get into Europe consistently. Every time he was on the teamsheet I felt that he just needed that one burst away from an opposition player to cause some damage, but it almost never happened. I view him as a bit of a watershed for Charlton; I always think that if he'd lived up to his potential we might have been able to attract a few more higher reputation players and turned a corner, we might have had at least one season in Europe and Curbs wouldn't have felt like he'd reached the end when he did. Obviously it wasn't all Dennis's fault but I always associate him with that point where as a club Charlton failed to push on through their ceiling and ultimately started to drift back down to where we are now
    Of course it wasnt till the season after Dennis joined but you then had Dean Kiely dropped from the team whose Charlton career was over too soon

I know we had Scott Carson the following season, he got Player of the Year etc. but wonder if we'd have done better with Deano

We certainly would have done back in the Championship as remember him being a proper thorn in our side when we played West Brom
  • I never understood why Rommedahl didn't just knock it past a full back and run onto it all the time, bit like how Doughty plays now. 
  • Talal said:
    I never understood why Rommedahl didn't just knock it past a full back and run onto it all the time, bit like how Doughty plays now. 
    Do wonder how he played for PSV or Denmark

Remember the Manager of the latter being outspoken at times about his playing time etc. with us
  • Kiely was on the downward spiral then though, lets not forget he let in a lot of goals when he got back in for Andersen.
  • boggzy said:

We had Bent, Rommedhal, Murphy and Smertin running the show for those first few games. Incredible attacking football, suited to all of them.

As I remember we had a capitulation against Spurs or Blackburn at The Valley and Curbishley decided from thereon in it was eleven men behind the ball all the bloody time, which really wasted their talent, (especially Rommedhal), and completely pissed off Murphy. I don't like the bloke but he was initially vocally positive about our getting into Europe the chemistry they had and the way they were playing in those early games.

I remember that Spurs game as well!!

We were 2-0 up and bloody cruising... Heavens suddenly opened and think Spurs got a lucky goal as a result - Game completely changed from that moment

I then went to that Blackburn game in the Carling Cup and was an exact repeat - 2-0 up and then capitulated in the last 15mins to lose 3-2 again
  • I remember the Rommedahl signing when we completed it felt like we were really stepping up from little Charlton to a serious Prem team who should be looking to challenge to get into Europe consistently. Every time he was on the teamsheet I felt that he just needed that one burst away from an opposition player to cause some damage, but it almost never happened. I view him as a bit of a watershed for Charlton; I always think that if he'd lived up to his potential we might have been able to attract a few more higher reputation players and turned a corner, we might have had at least one season in Europe and Curbs wouldn't have felt like he'd reached the end when he did. Obviously it wasn't all Dennis's fault but I always associate him with that point where as a club Charlton failed to push on through their ceiling and ultimately started to drift back down to where we are now
    Of course it wasnt till the season after Dennis joined but you then had Dean Kiely dropped from the team whose Charlton career was over too soon

I know we had Scott Carson the following season, he got Player of the Year etc. but wonder if we'd have done better with Deano

We certainly would have done back in the Championship as remember him being a proper thorn in our side when we played West Brom
    As IsawPouso says Kiely wasn't playing so well. I really rated Myhre, thought he should've stayed longer. 
  • Yeah after Pouso's comments I jumped on to SoccerBase - Really dont remember that 5-2 defeat against Man City at the Valley
  • boggzy said:

Did Smertin want out? I thought he said in a recent interview the move back to Chelsea was forced?
  • Croydon said:
    boggzy said:

Did Smertin want out? I thought he said in a recent interview the move back to Chelsea was forced?
    He had an offer from Russia and wanted to take it.