Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Right thing to do?

Going to be having some work done on the house - architect wants to come round this weak and measure up - should i say yes or no? part of me thinks no its not an essential journey, the other part thinks yes coz he can't do the work from home and the directive is to travel to work if u can't do it at home. What is the right thing to do??????

Comments

• DOUCHER said:
    Going to be having some work done on the house - architect wants to come round this weak and measure up - should i say yes or no? part of me thinks no its not an essential journey, the other part thinks yes coz he can't do the work from home and the directive is to travel to work if u can't do it at home. What is the right thing to do??????
    MUST the work be carried out now?

If the answer is no, then have the work done at a later date.
  • It’s a no from me. My work means I need to get into people’s houses and I’ve been shut for four weeks. The architect will need to get into every room and touch every door handle. Where else has he been and who has he been in contact with
  • DOUCHER said:
    MUST the work be carried out now?

If the answer is no, then have the work done at a later date.
    no, there is no rush for it - just like most of the building sites that are still operating at the moment
  • Can you take the measurements? If you video called him, he could guide you through what he wants? 
  • possibly but wouldn't want to - its his job to do / responsibility to get right  - its more about the principle - the govts direction on it is so half arsed and conflicting - go to work if u can't work from home but no non essential journeys - anyone's guess what that means in reality
  • i'm happy to delay it but if everybody does that then he'd likely go bankrupt
  • In a word, No
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2020
    DOUCHER said:
    possibly but wouldn't want to - its his job to do / responsibility to get right  - its more about the principle - the govts direction on it is so half arsed and conflicting - go to work if u can't work from home but no non essential journeys - anyone's guess what that means in reality
     But you couldn't really care less?  
    Are you not somewhat responsible for those in your household?

Come on Douche. Do you know where this bloke has been for a start?

• DOUCHER said:
    i'm happy to delay it but if everybody does that then he'd likely go bankrupt
    He'd be able to apply for the Government grant though wouldnt he? - Provided he's been submitted his HMRC properly
  • The right thing to do is to wait until the lockdown is over.
  • DOUCHER said:
    There's the Government support schemes he can call on, Doucher ...... he might well have to tighten his belt, but he shouldn't go bankrupt.

Anyway, architects that I've come across invariably seem to be reasonably comfortable; hopefully he's been prudent and has a little extra put by to fall back on. And other members of his family may still be contributing financially to his household.

I'm afraid, right now I'd prioritise protecting my family, rather than worrying about his income. 

• Virtually everyone has said no, but your comments clearly indicate you want to say yes. 

Your decision, but must admit I think you should say no. We’ve delayed a lot of work, some of which we had considered essential. 

In current circumstances, obvious it isn’t essential.   
  • I agree with you that the government's message hasn't been as clear as it might be, but notwithstanding that there's no way this is essential. Also, if he's so keen to get into your house, how many other houses is he trying to get into? It's a firm but polite no from me.
  • edited April 2020

• DOUCHER said:
    possibly but wouldn't want to - its his job to do / responsibility to get right  - its more about the principle - the govts direction on it is so half arsed and conflicting - go to work if u can't work from home but no non essential journeys - anyone's guess what that means in reality
    He needs to work, agreed. But you and your family need to be safe. He will need access to all rooms and will be in your home for 2-3 hrs! 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2020
    DOUCHER said:
    Unfortunately that’s life at the moment. He isn’t the only one. He needs to be creative to survive like everyone else. Sounds harsh but it’s reality. Your safety is the important thing here

im sure he works with developers and can visit an empty property if he pushes and does a bit of creative thinking
  • Definitely not 
  • It’s a no from me. My work means I need to get into people’s houses and I’ve been shut for four weeks. The architect will need to get into every room and touch every door handle. Where else has he been and who has he been in contact with
    Same here,  been off for 5 weeks now and already looking at a minimum of another 4 weeks.  The tenants whose homes we attend are elderly and vulnerable,  disabled,  etc so no way will risks be taken. 
  • @DOUCHER I have messaged you with options. I don’t want to openly share my trade secrets 
  • edited April 2020
    ok thanks people - right thing, which was and has been my opinion for the last month is to say no, wait til lockdown over - just wanted a check on it coz i work in the construction industry and they seem to be operating in a different way in some respects to the rest of the country. Its a no from me.
  • @DOUCHER I have messaged you with options. I don’t want to openly share my trade secrets 
    thanks, will pick up tomorrow but no it is 
  • E_cafc said:
    It’s a no from me. My work means I need to get into people’s houses and I’ve been shut for four weeks. The architect will need to get into every room and touch every door handle. Where else has he been and who has he been in contact with
    Same here,  been off for 5 weeks now and already looking at a minimum of another 4 weeks.  The tenants whose homes we attend are elderly and vulnerable,  disabled,  etc so no way will risks be taken. 
    You still at the same thing @E_cafc mate?
  • Yes , not for much longer though.  Had plans for this year but obviously that's all on hold now for the foreseeable future anyway. 
  • We were in the middle of having substantial garden work done, gardeners wanted to continue but even though it's outside have put them off until restrictions are lifted. I know it's less work for them but just doesn't feel right getting it done at this time.