Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Right thing to do?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I have a different view to most here. I’d do my exercise when the architect was coming round and have the family out of the house at that time. I’d leave a key out for him and ask him to wear gloves so he wasn’t touching anything in the house while I was out.

its not full lock down but it’s close and it means you will be ready later. 

There is little rational about the current UK lockdown. 

If you are prepared to go to the shops with 2m distancing or out for a walk, why not this? 

If you adopt a no risk policy, do not leave the house. 
  • Options
    @Alwaysneil because if he was sick he'd potentially be leaving the house covered with the virus that can stay alive for up to 2 days.

It's quite different to getting in and out of the shops as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    Got to admit have deferred and deferred my decorator coming over for exactly those reasons.

I kind of think if he wears a mask and gloves when he comes over to assess the work to be done later that should be ok, but it’s definitely an increased risk over him not coming. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Going to be having some work done on the house - architect wants to come round this weak and measure up - should i say yes or no? part of me thinks no its not an essential journey, the other part thinks yes coz he can't do
    the work from home and the directive is to travel to work if u can't do it at home. What is the right thing to do??????
    I'd say, yes, he can come round, as long as you're both dressed appropriately.

• Options
    Sorry to go off topic but I have an advert half way down the first page of this thread for Rare historical photos, (why I do not know, I have no interest), and the photo they show is Marilyn Monroe bending over so you can see what she had for breakfast, anyone else got this? 
  • Options
    Kedgeree?
  • Options
    I think you are on a different site ......!!
  • Options
    What you looking to have done @DOUCHER ?

one thing being at home has rammed home to me, there is an absolute fortune that needs to be spent on my gaff :-(
  • Options
    So did he come round then or what? 
  • Options

one thing being at home has rammed home to me, there is an absolute fortune that needs to be spent on my gaff :-(
    Don't! I've known about certain things that I've been saving up to make it worthwhile getting someone in, mostly cosmetic things in fact all cosmetic things but now my wife is starting to notice them and draw up a list. I'm pretty good at DIY but I detest doing it and I'm playing on the lack of supplies excuse. Which is a lie, I've got enough materials sat in my garage I just dont want to do those particular jobs as they will turn into big jobs. I'm happy making the garden look good at the weekend currently 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

Don't! I've known about certain things that I've been saving up to make it worthwhile getting someone in, mostly cosmetic things in fact all cosmetic things but now my wife is starting to notice them and draw up a list. I'm pretty good at DIY but I detest doing it and I'm playing on the lack of supplies excuse. Which is a lie, I've got enough materials sat in my garage I just dont want to do those particular jobs as they will turn into big jobs. I'm happy making the garden look good at the weekend currently 
    I’m lucky mate, as part of the building works done last year we had every room recarpeted/floored and redecorated. I’ve got absolutely F all to do indoors. All I’ve had to do since lockdown is paint the front window ledge and put a picture up. No wonder I’m getting even more fatter
  • Options
    I have a different view to most here. I’d do my exercise when the architect was coming round and have the family out of the house at that time. I’d leave a key out for him and ask him to wear gloves so he wasn’t touching anything in the house while I was out.

its not full lock down but it’s close and it means you will be ready later. 

There is little rational about the current UK lockdown. 

If you are prepared to go to the shops with 2m distancing or out for a walk, why not this? 

If you adopt a no risk policy, do not leave the house. 
    This is the next stage, hopefully two only two weeks away
  • Options
    Carter said:

I've played the same card. My thinking is you start doing the bigger jobs and hit a snag, then your off down B&Q or the builders yard with the sweaty builders in a 2hr Queue.
    Doubt they give a shit.

• Options
    They are still working on the Ferrier (aka Blackheath Quarter). I've seen plenty of other building work going on too, get him round if you want.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I've played the same card. My thinking is you start doing the bigger jobs and hit a snag, then your off down B&Q or the builders yard with the sweaty builders in a 2hr Queue.
    Doubt they give a shit.

Nah I've laid my cards on the table, she wants to paint or decorate she can we live in an equal society. Problem is I will end up doing it. There is a room that needs doing but my view is if something is worth doing it's worth doing properly and that's not just a cats lick, thats skirting boards off, floor up, by that time I'll have the ceiling off as well, old radiators gone and new sockets and light fitting. And then all the new stuff to go in and time and no small level of skill to do it. Nah, I'm not going back and forth the screwfix. I've stayed in for 6 weeks now I'm not risking 2 weeks of worrying if I've picked up coronavirus from a handful (because you always forget something) of trips to screwfix to stand with a scaffolder breathing on me with his mouth open 
  • Options

knocking some walls down to go more open plan to make lighter plus roof lights,  new kitchen, raised patio and opening back of house up to access garden better- nothing urgent, just improvements 
  • Options
    So did he come round then or what? 
    no
  • Options
    Carter said:

Doubt they give a shit.

Doubt they give a shit.
    So how we getting out of this Carly?
    Keep the lockdown or ease the lockdown thousands will die.
    It's alright having a dig at people but there are literally thousands of people who should be going to hospital and are sitting at home sh!thing themselves about going to hospital and by staying at home some will top up dying.
    If we lockdown the country for the rest of the year , not seeing family and friends for the next 9 months with no shops open, how many 80 90 years olds would give up, how many suicides would we see.
    When the lockdown eases maybe in 4-6 weeks even if the government says we can visit family how many of us will be thinking is that the right thing to do or I will but keep a safe distance.
    F@ck me 6 weeks ago I loved a P!seed flavoured roast potato or cheese and biscuit in the pub.
    6 weeks on I've gone into OCD mode.
    So how will we get out of this