Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VE DAY

Comments

• Options
    Today has made me revisit a video I put together for my school's pupils four years ago. It was the culmination of a project that I had put together in which Year 8 and Year 10 pupils wrote to the last-surviving pilots of the Battle of Britain. There were 19 alive then and there are only two alive today. We had a big presentation in the school hall at the end of the project for pupils, parents and staff and this video had a few people in tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqL-gGod3X4

Plus, here's a link to an interview that one of the pilots did just for us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va8j9xuItg0
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Is it because the memory is a double edged sword?
    Celebrate the end of suffering by remembering suffering. 

I'm not sure but I believe celebration and commemoration are both fitting.

Commemorate the lives that were lost and the suffering and the sacrifice of the greatest generation.

Celebrate peace and the freeing of the world from the evil that was Nazism.

Remember that evil and the lessons that should lead to 'never again' being shouted from the rooftops, although I fear those lessons do not live long enough in the memory.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Rothko said:

Always remembered on days like today.

Robert Zarb, born in Port Said, held British citizenship. He was studying medicine in Grenoble (Isère). As an enemy alien, he was placed under police supervision. Zarb became friends with Jean Feigelson, a fellow medical student who was a Jewish refugee from Russia. On August 25, 1942, Zarb and Feigelson discovered that the police were about to conduct mass arrests of foreign Jews. Zarb managed to warn Feigelson’s parents, and he concealed Jean and his brother Simon in his apartment. That night, police visited the Feigelsons’ apartment and found it empty. In December 1942, Feigelson was prosecuted on suspicion of activity in the Resistance. The court convicted him and sentenced him to eight days in prison, but he was released at once because he had been interned for three weeks before his trial. Zarb, his friend, waited for him outside the courthouse and immediately led him to a hideout, knowing that as a Jew, Feigelson would automatically be placed in administrative detention, meaning that he would be turned over to the Germans. Thus, Zarb saved his Jewish friend’s life again. Several days later, after obtaining a forged identification card, Feigelson fled and joined a Resistance unit. Zarb, his friend, was arrested on suspicion of activity against the authorities and deported to the Mauthausen camp. Fortunately, he survived, but he returned to France in extremely poor health. On December 16, 1998, Yad Vashem recognized Robert Zarb as Righteous Among the Nations.

https://righteous.yadvashem.org/?search=Zarb&searchType=righteous_only&language=en&itemId=4018373&ind=0
    Wow, what a hero and what an honour to be remembered in Vad Vashem.

What relation is he to you @rothko ?
  • Options
    Just did a virtual visit to a local care home who start their VE Day celebrations soon. One gentleman told one of the carers showing the dogs on the tv. “ on the day we see off one lot of Germans another lot turn up on the telly” lol 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52574748

Pleased to see that Berlin is marking VE Day and Germans have a national day's holiday to mark the end of WWll and liberation from the Nazi.
  • Options
    We are bringing barbecues out the front to have a socially distanced VE celebration with our neighbours. There is a Spitfire flypast today, I dont think it's going over Chatham but is definitely going over Maidstone 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spitfire just gone over on way to worthing . 
  • Options
    Spitfire just gone over on way to worthing . 
    Where are you @sinceiwasyoung
  • Options
    Shoreham in sussex .
  • Options
    I was surprised by the number of flags and VE stuff I saw on my House Arrest permiited exercise walk earlier.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I wonder if there will be a marking of the end of the far east (forgotten) war.
    My father (like Captain Tom actually) was in Burma.
    Wasn't captured or killed by the way, and didn't build the bridge over the river Kwai.
    I've got some great family letters describing celebrations in Piccadilly Circus and other London spots.  Will post them n August.
  • Options
    Cycled over to see my mum, who lives off Days Lane in Sidcup and they were having a street party whilst observing social distancing. It was a lovely atmosphere, one house had wartime songs playing and most houses were decorated. It was actually quite emotional, a lot of families who were there when I was a kid are still living there.
    Love that. 

Have had Absolute 40s playing all afternoon in the garden. You forget how pure and innocent the music was. Been great 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cycled over to see my mum, who lives off Days Lane in Sidcup and they were having a street party whilst observing social distancing. It was a lovely atmosphere, one house had wartime songs playing and most houses were decorated. It was actually quite emotional, a lot of families who were there when I was a kid are still living there.
    Love that. 

Have had Absolute 40s playing all afternoon in the garden. You forget how pure and innocent the music was. Been great 
    We’ve got Alexa blasting WW2 songs while we sit in the garden supping a few drinks. 
  • Options
    With got James , all sit down playing down our road.
    Not one 40s song, I've abandoned the street party.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    My Grandmother, a nurse during the war and an absolute saint wrote a 'book' (collection of memories really) about growing up and her experiences during the war. It really is like looking into a different world and great insight into the family. The house in south Croydon she lived in (she was born there) had a fire bomb land in the garden. It was only after the family had managed to put the fire out that they realised another had hit the house and the roof was on fire. By the time it was put out there was significant damage to the house. It was condemned. They didn't want to give up the family home so an uncle in the building business and a volunteer army of friends did rebuild work and when officials came to see it knocked down they found it fully repaired. Her and my Grandfather brought that house a few years after getting married (for something silly like £400) and lived there all their lives. My Dad was born there and it's a very special part of all the Grandchildrens upbringing. She died there aged 86 only a couple weeks after receiving a letter from the Queen for their diamond wedding anniversary. Sadly the family had to sell that house after my grandfather died a couple of years ago aged 94. If ever I come into money I am buying that house back. They were the stereotypical people of that generation, born in the early 20s lived through the war and saw an immense amount of change on their lives. Things like these always get me thinking of them.

Unfortunately my copy of her 'book' is at my parents. Would have loved to have a read of it today see if there were any mentions of VE day celebrations. 
    Always knew you were a closet Palace fan what with living in Streatham and supporting Surrey ;)

A lovely story and a shame your family had to sell a house with so many memories.

Incidentally, I'm joshing you about Croydon but my own late grandmother, who took me to Charlton when I was young, was born there too. Mind you her ancestors were all from a village close to a village called Charlton in Northamptonshire. That's my defence and I'm sticking to it.
    Haha knew I would get that one. That's where the Surrey cricket connection comes from. Their garden backed on to Whitgift school grounds where surrey used to play so we used to hop the fence and get in for free. My Grandfather used to tell me the same story about a relative on his side of the family Albert Relf who played test cricket for England. 

Luckily neither my Granfather nor my dad are into football otherwise I could have been Palarse.
  • Options
    Not been impressed with social distancing in our small village. Even the local GP who lives three doors down the lane had a couple of relatives sun lounging in their driveway. They were seated nearby, maybe at the correct distance, but what happens when they need to go in to use their loo. And we saw our next door neighbour sitting on someone’s front lawn round the corner sitting with friends and playing with a baby. What is the matter with some people.

we are not ready for a relaxation of lockdown, so many are going to use itvan an excuse to do what they like.
  • Options
    My street are having a bit of a shindig. Social distancing of course, but everyone's getting well oiled.
    Can see a breakout of the conga at around 9'oclock tonight..which won't be good.