Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VE DAY

1235»

Comments

• Options
    The house I grew up in at Kinveachy Gardens SE7 was severely damaged by a high explosive bomb but not demolished. The bomb fell directly opposite and I’m guessing about 8 - 10 houses destroyed. A small block was built on that site opposite my house in the late fifties I think. 
    9.38 am, 14th November 1944. V2 rocket attack. 3 killed, 35 wounded. 
    Reccomend this book. Not cheap but it's a large heavy book and fascinating
    https://thamesandhudson.com/catalog/product/view/id/3267/s/the-london-county-council-bomb-damage-maps-1939-1945-9780500518250/category/2/

Map shows clearly the houses hit by a V1 (doodlebug) (Charlton Village end) and also, nearer the Thorntree Road end, by the V2.
  • Options
    A picture in today's paper of a pretty 11 year old Russian girl in a girl guides type uniform, standing on pads of nails in celebration of the (then) Soviet Union's victory over the Nazis .. strange celebration but presumably meant to indicate how tough and resilient Russia still is 
  • Options
    Brilliant in our road, must’ve been at least 2/3 of the 60 houses out with bunting, flags, garden furniture and BBQ’s on the front drive. My missus stuck a note through every door encouraging people and it paid off. We spoke to people we never had done before. Plenty were still sitting out late into the evening. Real community spirit with music and loads of laughs. Just a shame we couldn’t have shut the road off and done it properly
    same - luckily our road is shut off at end with a barrier so everybody ended up there - socially distanced although the booze did make people forget occasionally unfortunately - no closer than people walking past each other in supermarket aisles and the like mind you.