Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kidbrooke

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Where about's are you looking?
    Trying not to be too specific for a few reasons.cant really afford to be picky, dont know the area very well, also dont want to get set on one particular place as chances are they wont still be on the market in a couple of months when we are actually in a position to put offers down. Our main requirement is to be walking distance to the station (or a station, but we are basing it around Kidbrooke station for now) have looked at a few between the A2 and Rochester way (some nearer Eltham). A couple further south nearer the south circular. Haven't been able to go and have a look round due to lockdown and to be honest we only "discovered" kidbrooke as an option in the last month or so. More after a general feel for the place, connections busyness etc.
     If I were you I would look at some other areas if you want to be close to a station. Have you actually driven round the area as to me there is not much there. To be honest I dont know the area that well ( born & bred in Bexley & went to school in Welling so my area of knowledge is slightly further out). However, I drive that way on the way to The Valley & have clients in Blackheath & the surrounding areas so often take the A20/A2 route and I wouldnt say it would be my first choice of area to live in. 

Problem is the 2 train stations you need to commute into are on 2 different lines. I live in Swanley, which is on the Victoria line, and it's a bugger if you want to get into London Bridge. I'm not sure if there are many areas that would serve both lines. 
    You're absolutely right about the 2 different lines and it's the main reason we have come across this area. Neither of us want to compromise on commute.

Not much there has come up a few times and is precisely why I started this thread. Useful information thanks. We are planning on visiting the area and viewing one (currently empty) place in the next week or so to get more of a feel for the area. 

We've looked at other areas on and off in the last year, including places like st Mary cray as well as awful options like Bromley and Croydon! 
    Oi! 😁

You wait till you have kids and you'll be begging to get them into a Bromley school.
    Was hoping someone would nibble! ;) kids are a long way off...
  • Options
    Kidbrooke has changed alot since I lived on the outskirts of the ferrier (towards Eltham) however personally I'd move a few stops down the same train line, much for value for money to be had and in a few years you'll be doing exactly that I reckon....might as well cut out the moving twice now.
  • Options
    The other thing I would say is that it's in a great location for outdoor adventure. We regularly take the kids out for walks up to Greenwich park and blackheath, up to Oxleas woods, up to eltham park and the well hall pleasance and round the corner to Sutcliffe park. Theres no shortage of green space around the area.

We live just off the Rochester way (Tilbrook Road) and it is absolutely perfect for family life. I gre up more near shooters hill (Dursley road) and that area is nice too but I prefer where I am now. 
  • Options
    be very wary of buying the shared ownership houses there - have heard some nightmare stories about trying to sell them on.
  • Options
    The other thing I would say is that it's in a great location for outdoor adventure. We regularly take the kids out for walks up to Greenwich park and blackheath, up to Oxleas woods, up to eltham park and the well hall pleasance and round the corner to Sutcliffe park. Theres no shortage of green space around the area.

We live just off the Rochester way (Tilbrook Road) and it is absolutely perfect for family life. I gre up more near shooters hill (Dursley road) and that area is nice too but I prefer where I am now. 
    I lived in both Bournebrook Road and subsequently Topley Street before moving down to Welling
  • Options
    be very wary of buying the shared ownership houses there - have heard some nightmare stories about trying to sell them on.
    Yeah not touching shared ownership.
  • Options
    Thanks all, some really useful info. Much food for thought.
  • Options
    Lovely place to live, just a tad expensive for what you get but I guess that's London property these days!
  • Options
    The new park there is really nice too, great if you have kids.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just out of interest, where did Greenwich council rehouse the former residents of the Ferrier ? Must have been thousands living there.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

They opened a Youngs pub there last year which was the main thing it was lacking. It's a bit quiet but decent enough, has a quiz every thursday as well

I heard it's the same clientele as the Wat Tyler  lol
  • Options
    Just out of interest, where did Greenwich council rehouse the former residents of the Ferrier ? Must have been thousands living there.

Quite a lot of the properties adjacent to Sutcliffe park (where Greenwich Borough FC used to be), I believe a lot of those were people that have been rehoused from Ferrier.

Friend of mine told me a lot were rehoused in Mottingham too.

• Options
    Good.
    And if buying leasehold READ YOUR LEASE and find out about maintenance/service charges, rules, regulations etc.
  • Options
    Canters - don't forget to check this site  - check the street you are interested in.

We did before buying a place, and noticed one potential purchase was on a street with a huge ASB rate - turned out it was a route from a flat roofed pub to the 'hood. ;-)

https://www.police.uk/pu/your-area/metropolitan-police-service/blackheath/?tab=CrimeMap
  • Options
    Don't do it. It's nothing more than an overly priced over-spill from the extremely pretentious Blackheath, with it's parents that don't believe in barbers and who love giving their children stupid names.
    Sounds like my gf will fit right in.
    Good.
    And if buying leasehold READ YOUR LEASE and find out about maintenance/service charges, rules, regulations etc.
    Thanks. Had my chartered accountant father banging on about this so I'll probably just get him to read it.

MrWalker said:
    Canters - don't forget to check this site  - check the street you are interested in.

We did before buying a place, and noticed one potential purchase was on a street with a huge ASB rate - turned out it was a route from a flat roofed pub to the 'hood. ;-)

https://www.police.uk/pu/your-area/metropolitan-police-service/blackheath/?tab=CrimeMap
    Useful thanks.
  • Options
    Flat roof.
    Nuff said.
  • Options
    I've lived in Kidbrooke most of my life. Moved to plum stead for 5 years and could not wait to get back. 

Most of Kidbrooke is nice and quiet. The road I live on very rarely has any trouble and most of the neighbours happily stop for a chat. 

As you said it is great for transport links, you've got 2 buses that take you to north greenwich station which run regularly, kidrooke station and the A2 all nice and close. 

Kidbrooke Village for the most part is really nice and they are still building on it and once complete they will be upgrading the station too. 

Not sure what else there is to say really other than I have 3 kids and me and they wife see the area as a great and safe place to bring them up

I always wondered how you chose your user name.

did you get yours because you were shit at football?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've lived in Kidbrooke most of my life. Moved to plum stead for 5 years and could not wait to get back. 

Most of Kidbrooke is nice and quiet. The road I live on very rarely has any trouble and most of the neighbours happily stop for a chat. 

As you said it is great for transport links, you've got 2 buses that take you to north greenwich station which run regularly, kidrooke station and the A2 all nice and close. 

Kidbrooke Village for the most part is really nice and they are still building on it and once complete they will be upgrading the station too. 

Not sure what else there is to say really other than I have 3 kids and me and they wife see the area as a great and safe place to bring them up

Classic.
  • Options
    E_cafc said:

They opened a Youngs pub there last year which was the main thing it was lacking. It's a bit quiet but decent enough, has a quiz every thursday as well

I heard it's the same clientele as the Wat Tyler  lol
    I spent many a lost Friday afternoon in that dump.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I had sampled their expansive range of world lagers, legendary real ales and Michelin rated comestibles in my time.  Were you the regular being sick by the bar with the three legged dog on a bit if string?
  • Options

Yep, when choosing my user name I thought of the worst player I’d ever seen for us.
  • Options
    Surely one of the finest examples of pub architecture ever created. In fairness, when it was built, it was next to a supermarket, newsagent, post office, doctors surgery, library and a branch of NatWest - everything that was required for the local community. We moved onto the brand new Ferrier in c. 1974. Even now my mum says how lovely it was, how spacious the flats were and how the people were all, actually, very nice. Unfortunately, it didnt stay that way for long (we moved out in 1976...)

Wat Tyler  The derelict Wat Tyler Pub  Waterford_Man  Flickr
    It was also next to a fantastic chippy late 70s early 80s.

• Options
    Have you considered Westcombe Park? Not sure what choice of trains you get from the station these days. Back in the day was always London Bridge, Waterloo, Charing Cross but I'm going back to the eighties.

Thing is it's an SE3 Post Code and close to Greenwich (and the Docklands Light Railway if relevant too).

@Len\'s_little_girl has spoken of it as a possibility if she comes back to Blighty permanently.
  • Options
    When I lived there Kate Adie was our Avon lady.My mate was a rear gunner on the Milk Float
    You joke but the milk floats that covered the ferrier estate used to have locking shutters on them.
  • Options
    There’s a new Youngs pub there that opened last year called The Depot that looks decent

Thomas Tallis school was originally going to be called Kidbrooke Depot ... You’re Welcome 
  • Options
    Some of the cheaper housing in Kidbrooke is ex-Council Housing stock around Kidbrooke School. You have slightly better properties on Broad Walk and then there’s Kidbrooke Village 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:

Thanks for this and some extremely revealing results. Figures for number of crimes in March:

Bexley 73
    Chislehurst 84
    Sidcup 104
    Eltham 137
    Bexleyheath 195
    Bromley 325

Wouldn't want to live in Bromley. Imagine how bad their figures would have been if we hadn't all been in lockdown for most of the month!