Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1998 v 2019.What was the better day?

Both fantastic days out but which one has the edge
For me it is 2019
In 1998 we went into the game knowing if we won we would be in the Premiership for the first time
In 2019' it was the hope that by winning someone would buy the club and it would hopefully be a 'New beginning'
No doubt that 1998 was the better game - probably one of the greatest ever Wembley finals.
The climax of both games was different tho.If we had lost the penalty shoot out in 98 we still had a future.
As we approached the final minute in 2019 I was fearful of another shootout and one I thought we would lose.
So to win the game with the last kick of the match was the best ever experience/feeling I have ever had at a Charlton game.
Just wish I could bottle that moment

Also the day was so much better for being with more of my Charlton mates than in 98
Arriving at Wembley station in 98 seemed to be a sea of Sunderland and the reverse in 2019 
The atmosphere for me was also better in 2019
Anyway 2 fantastic days -Happy days

Comments

• Options
    98 all day long.
    Both great days and I was with you at both matches raytreacy69. 
    But the 98 match was the greatest experience in my 50 odd years of supporting the club. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    98. Was 18 back then. Football seemed better in general and no responsibilities at all back then.

None of the off the field rubbish and club was unified from top to bottom and heading to a premier league where we could compete.

Bloody good day last year though even though even that and the state of the club feels like a lifetime ago at the moment.

Probably appreciated last year more at the time in a way as a rare as hen's teeth day of Charlton joy in a desert of customary bleakness.

• Options
    1998 by a mile. No brainier for me - not even close....

partly driven by the fact that football as a whole was so much more impactful and central to my life back then. As you grow older there are so many other things in life that come into focus - ‘98 was the pinnacle for me and it will never be beaten 
    Watching Harry's Heroes this week and even my missus who has no interest in football commented on it and said they seem so different to modern day players.

Will be interesting to know whether today's generation feels the same way about harry kane and raheem sterling as my generation does about the Italia 90 and euro 96 generation in years to come.

• Options
    It's not even close for me. '98 is so far ahead

2019 was great but it's the sort of day that I could see us having again (if we survive) and the sort of day that lots of clubs have had

'98 was unique, we got to witness one of the greatest games ever played at Wembley for the biggest prize. I just can't see any day coming close to it for drama, importance, the emotional swings or the euphoria at the end
  • Options
    98 all day long.
    Both great days and I was with you at both matches raytreacy69. 
    But the 98 match was the greatest experience in my 50 odd years of supporting the club. 
    I know where you are coming from Stevie - but for me the whole day before during and after in 2019 edged it for me
  • Options
    They were such different experiences for me that it’s so hard to compare - I was 12 in 1998 and 33 in 2019.

Am I allowed to say that I loved them both equally, but differently ? 
  • Options
    2019 - simply because I was able to share the day with my grandson. Have a video of him celebrating Bauer's goal. Pure joy.
  • Options
    2019 as my Son was there and saw us play, and win at Wembley. Overall though for a quite a few reasons, including limiting my emotions after the Doncaster game and concerns about getting back to a campsite in Oxfordshire, as a whole day I didn’t find it really enjoyable.

So, 1998 as well as for me, it was one of the best days ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Thats not even a question 1998 all the way. I was at both with my dad but the 1998 game was so much better it had evething you could ask for in a football match both teams giving it 110% fighting for there lives.

The 2019 game was ok but let's face it Sunderland did not turn up and give us a game. Don't get me wrong the last minute winner was fantastic but does not come close to the legend's of 98.

In 98 the coach trip was so wired as it did not sink in what we had just seen at Wembley till a few days late when they had the open top bus throw charlton.

It will all ways be the best game I have ever seen with my dad and so glad I was there as football is not the same no more sadly 😢 
  • Options
    another vote for 98 .. unfancied and unrated, we made it to the premier league .. still not to diminish the effort and tenacity  of team 19, getting to the premier was the more major achievement
  • Options
    98 as a day, 2019 for Bauer's goal.
  • Options
    Bery different was at both  aged 20 and then 41 , both amazing , the first one was by far the better match but i think we created a better atmosphere 2nd time around. 
  • Options
    they were both great great days. 98 is a faded memory for me now in terms of my day. but there are certain parts are remember really clearly. Sharing it with my dad is a special thing I wont ever forget..but sharing 2019 with my wife and kids was also very special and to win in the way we did was a fairytale. Clearly 98 was the better game and the  higher prize and the start of a tremendous era for the club. I had a feeling 2019 could be the same.. and it still could be.. we might get a decent new owner and stay up yet.. and even if we dont stay up, remember we went down after 98 too.... I really can't say which was the best day for me.... 
  • Options

Remember getting to Wembley by coach. 
    All the colours and had all my family there some who’ve sadly passed since.

As a youngster I had briefly couldn’t comprehend what Sasa had done and had to ask my dad what that meant. 

Unreal.

2019 - couldn’t write a better script. 

• Options
    So different and loved both occasions. 98 went with my dad, uncle and brother all who are no longer alive. My son was 10 and went to. Such an incredible day and weekend with both pre and post match party. Last year just me and 30 year old son went. Brilliant day again. Loved every minute. Game no where near as good but never forget 94th minute celebrations!!! Both great days for very different reasons personally. 

• Options
    2019 for that one moment of sheer joy and mayhem that I doubt I will ever experience again.
    1998 for the game itself and the feeling of relief and mental exhaustion that lasted until my head hit the pillow some 10 hours later.
    Two very different emotions that I wouldn’t change for the world.
  • Options
    1998 easily 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ‘98 for me. Was only 8 years old at the time And went with my dad, can’t be beaten imo. It had everything.
  • Options
    2019 for me

I'd only been a Charlton fan for four years prior to '98 so the win at the time felt great but deep down didnt mean as much as what it should have done

Although it was nice as learnt what the Charlton family was about, got the coach from Welling on my own as a 15-year old and everyone made sure I was safe and welcome

Last year I knew I'd struggle to get through the game and was feeling the nerves in the pit of my stomach the closer we got to Extra-Time

Still remember getting back on the High Speed @ St. Pancras, phone battery almost dead and just collapsed into the seat as the day had drained me... In a weird way was a great feeling

In terms of games; '98 had everythig, whilst '19 virtually had nothing, when the former went to a penalty shootout it meant there would be no shocks (in the sense that you knew the winning moment was close) - 2019 on the other hand didnt have that moment, it effectively came out of nowhere... I remember celebrating the goal that finally came in Carlisle and then learning that our rivals had lost, but a bit like Jackson against Queens Park Rangers, you just cannot beat a last minute winner... the bigger the game just makes the moment 10x better
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Enjoyed both but if forced to choose then 1998.

I took all 3 of my daughters and it was @Len\'s_little_girl 's first ever game. I was worried that at just 7 she would be too young but she loved the day with her old man and big sisters. We met up with my brother and his wife too at the match. 'Er indoors didn't come as we were light of a ticket.

Just so she learned what being a Charlton fan was really like her second match was a pre season friendly away at Sittingbourne which Charlton lost after an error by a young Jon Fortune.

Last year 'Er indoors came with 2 of my daughters and one of their partners. The other daughter and my grandsons were on a prearranged holiday so I was spared the dilemma of whether or not to take my oldest grandson for his first game.

Unfortunately for various reasons he still has not attended his first game and, given the Shitfest, I wonder whether he ever will as the Club won't be there.
  • Options
    Enjoyed both obviously but definitely 98 for me as well. To reach the Premier League in such dramatic style after a fantastic game and the drama of the penalties not to mention the Mendonca hat trick and Richard Rufus first ever goal for us. Can't beat that.
  • Options
    2019 for me. First time my Boys had seen Charlton play at Wembley. 

• Options
    Close for me. 1998 was a day like I had previously thought I would never experience, as a Charlton fan. 2019 was a day that I could hardly have believed would come round again, - and might not come again in my lifetime -  and so I made the very most of it, treating both my UK family and my Czech buddy to the full Wembley works.

But as @oohaahmortimer says, the dark shadow of Duchatelet was still hanging over us. We could put it aside for a while, but it was still there. In 1998 all the stars seemed aligned, the boardroom, our Valley back and being rebuilt..

And in 1998 I didn't get my voice back for three days, whereas it only took 24 hours last year.
  • Options
    As I never went to 1988 as I wasn’t even a Charlton fan has to be 2019. 
  • Options

Probably for the last time ☹️
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Probably for the last time ☹️
    Unfortunately so.