Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1998 v 2019.What was the better day?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Both were great days against the Mackems at Wembley but for me the almost forgotten playoff final decider against Leeds in 1987 @ Birmingham City was our best playoff final win . . . The atmosphere was hostile to say the least but to be on the Tilton Road terracing when Shirtliff scored with 4 min to go in extra time was off the scale . . . . They had capped the attendance @ 18,000 with 16,000 Leeds & 2000 us and we did not sellout !! . . . . 
  • Options
    German said:
    Both were great days against the Mackems at Wembley but for me the almost forgotten playoff final decider against Leeds in 1987 @ Birmingham City was our best playoff final win . . . The atmosphere was hostile to say the least but to be on the Tilton Road terracing when Shirtliff scored with 4 min to go in extra time was off the scale . . . . They had capped the attendance @ 18,000 with 16,000 Leeds & 2000 us and we did not sellout !! . . . . 

1,500 that night was generous. Leeds were led out of our seating area as well.
    Plod gave us a few minutes to celebrate then told us to f*** off lively as they were keeping Leeds in the ground.
    On the walk back to New Street we were near the Bull Ring and a load of Zulus were waiting for Leeds(as they had before the game), once they knew we were Charlton they congratulated us and wished us a safe journey home!

• Options
  • Options
    They were different experiences and so it's hard to choose - like being asked which of your kids is your favourite. 

98 was unforgettable of course, we knew we were seeing something special (looks like it's going to win the BBC 'best play-off game poll').   And it meant so much - we'd finally see top-flight football at The Valley, we'd be on MOTD every week, the club would be well-minted for years (ha!), etc.  On the day and for weeks, months, afterwards, it didn't matter that everyone said we'd be certs for relegation - we knew that just a season up could push us forward - and it did.

But the actual experience of 2019 was much better - partly down to age and better planning.  Instead of a crowded Micky D's with an 8 y/o, a meet up with friends & family over beer & pizza, where the day could be properly savoured.  Better seats and view (I'm not really sure I saw Sasa's save properly), a fantastic ending (winning with a goal beats winning with a save) and great music - our music - at the end.  And not being sat 10m from the drum for 2 hours was a bonus.

So I'm giving it to 2019, but entirely for personal reasons, and in particular that being with younger kids made the day slightly hard work (if I'm honest).  Not that I regret one bit taking them - my Gooner nephew (one of the 8 y/olds in '98) has said it's still the best game he's ever seen, and remembers it vividly.