Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley

2»

Comments

• Options
    I remember as a 14 year old, that hut on the mound had gone 72/73 ish and been replaced by a goal I used to put a pair of adidas boots given to me by one of the players and wellying balls into the goal until Mr Banham shouted Raymond lunchtime is over.
     I’d love to know how long I was there, Rodney Stone told me I was a bigger pain in the arse than all the apprentices put together so I doubt it was long. 
    Less than a year would be my guess, I had more jobs between 14/17 than I did for the rest of my working life but I loved every minute at The Valley in my own warped little way. 
  • Options
    I can remember the goal but not that hut, would of been 7/8 in 72/73.
  • Options
    Saw this picture yesterday for the first time, apparently it's from 1956.
    Looking at this photo the wooden hut at the foot of the grass hill was in late 1960s the building used by The Saint John Ambulance.
    Also to left of photo the wall to the gents  toilets can be seen. The club shop would have been further along to the left an old (garden )
    hut type building.
    Football was working man’s game back then.
  • Options
    Looking at this photo the wooden hut at the foot of the grass hill was in late 1960s the building used by The Saint John Ambulance.
    Also to left of photo the wall to the gents  toilets can be seen. The club shop would have been further along to the left an old (garden )
    hut type building.
    The wooden hut was the gym, and only used by SJA on match days.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    hut type building.
    The wooden hut was the gym, and only used by SJA on match days.
    Was going to say that. Remember one summer (67 or 68 ?) I went down to buy my (Ground only) season ticket & the players were having a 5/6/7/8 ? a side game in there. it was bigger than it looks in that picture. 
  • Options
    I remember the player's entrance at the back of the West Stand which was just an ordinary door manned by a commissionaire in the early 60's.  I once followed Frank Haydock all the way to the station trying to get his autograph as he was reluctant to sign any.  He rewarded me at the end with a signature and a piece of advice. 'Now, Fuck Off' he said.  I was elated.

• Options
    I remember the player's entrance at the back of the West Stand which was just an ordinary door manned by a commissionaire in the early 60's.  I once followed Frank Haydock all the way to the station trying to get his autograph as he was reluctant to sign any.  He rewarded me at the end with a signature and a piece of advice. 'Now, Fuck Off' he said.  I was elated.

Hey, we have that in common. He told me to eff off when I asked for his autograph too.
    At least you actually got yours.
  • Options

Hey, we have that in common. He told me to eff off when I asked for his autograph too.
    Imagine if a player said that tomorrow, to a kid asking for a selfie  :D
  • Options
    Anyone got any pictures of the old supporters club? Derek Hales used to go in there after a game and had a few pints, think he smoked as well! This would be early 70's I guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    New bowl stadiums tend to be free standing so you can walk around them  e.g. Man City, Arsenal, Leicester, Coventry (when back), Stoke, MKD, Doncaster etc

Trad grounds are often restricted on one or more sides
    You can walk round old Trafford quite easily. 
    There's a railway line in the way of one side, isn't there?
    You can walk under the stand. 
  • Options
    You can walk all around Brighton’s stadium.
  • Options
    You can walk all the way around Carrow Road - nice ground, I like it there
  • Options
    You can walk all the way around Carrow Road - nice ground, I like it there
    Don't give the new owners any ideas for a move!
  • Options
    hut type building.
    When you think of the relative fortunes of Charlton and Arsenal. Investment was sadly lacking. 
  • Options

Imagine if a player said that tomorrow, to a kid asking for a selfie  :D

Yeh, talk about different times.
    These days they are expected to act in a professional way on and off the pitch.
    To be fair most players were accommodating back in the day, some more enthusiastic than others.
    The most gracious and friendly I remember was, unsurprisingly, Keith Peacock. He was chatty with fans and their Dad's.
    I remember him saying once "I'm glad there wasn't a penalty today, I was down to take them".
    I was standing next to my kid brother and Keith put his hand on my brothers head and said "All line up behind this boy". I turned to get behind my brother and somebody was already there, and then another, then another. I ended up about 25th in the line, whilst my kid brother was standing around autograph book in hand smirking at me. :)