Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London (Inner City) Wildlife

Comments

• Options
    Reckon a moth and guess at emperor moth as it's the only one I know
    I'm not so sure about that. I think an Emperor is more bristly and often has clearer black bands. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Wilma said:
    Discovered a huge caterpillar in my flowerpot this morning, it's about three inches long. Any idea on what it might transform into? 

I reckon it's more likely to be an Elephant Hawk Moth. By the way this guy, Jason Steel, does some excellent photos:  http://www.jasonsteelwildlifephotography.yolasite.com/butterflies-and-moths.php
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Reckon a moth and guess at emperor moth as it's the only one I know
    I'm not so sure about that. I think an Emperor is more bristly and often has clearer black bands. 
    Definitely not bristly, just went for another look to make sure! I think you're right with Elephant Hawk Moth after looking at that site. How exciting! 
  • Options
    This monster in my garden, hate to see it fully grown!

• Options

Can't see it now. :(
  • Options
    What about now?

• Options
    Careful if you got dogs and they have toys in the garden mate. They can get lungworm of slugs,
  • Options
    Stig said:

Can't see it now. :(
    Raith threw it over the fence into his neighbour's garden!
  • Options
    It's been a fantastic year for moths, I've seen over 36 species this summer.  I was going to put a little collage together and then I thought, fuck it I can't be bothered.

Covid has made it a pretty shitty year for most things. One of the few exceptions being our wildlife which really benefitted from a bit of lockdown respite. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My caterpillar has a buddy! Just went out to say hello and found two of them tucking into my plant.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Wilma said:
    Discovered a huge caterpillar in my flowerpot this morning, it's about three inches long. Any idea on what it might transform into? 

I reckon it's more likely to be an Elephant Hawk Moth. By the way this guy, Jason Steel, does some excellent photos:  http://www.jasonsteelwildlifephotography.yolasite.com/butterflies-and-moths.php
    I wish id seen this earlier. Took a photo of what i thought was an unusual looking buttterfly in Downham at the weekend and spent half an hour online looking to see if it was a rare species.
    Now see thats its a Jersey Tiger Moth. Im obviously no expert so didnt know moths can be day and night just assumed it was a butterfly as it was daylight.
  • Options
    Here's a couple.  First up a Box Tree Moth (White Variety) that was outside yesterday:

And this one's a Silver Y that was in the house earlier:

• Options
    Yeh that Silver Y looks like the most common ones that come in mine at night.
    That one that ME14 posted is freaking me out everytime i open this thread still. I dont like moths faces lol dont mind them face down....insert jokes
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Bob and his girlfriend 
    Wonderful photos.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Bob and his girlfriend 
    Wow, lovely. 
  • Options
    Excellent
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    We usually have a good selection of birds on our garden feeders, but today for the first time we had two great spotted woodpeckers at the same time, normally we see one, they normally grab a nut (oo er missus) and fly off. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    smiffyboy said:

Bob and his girlfriend 
    Envious of this as I think foxes are beautiful animals. I see them occasionally on my drive to work, usually as they run across the fields, never get to see them close up like this. Will never understand how some people get their jollies from chasing them down and watching them get torn to bits by a pack of dogs.
    My hens are pro hunting.

You need to teach them jujitsu. Or give them flick knives.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Bob and his girlfriend 
    Envious of this as I think foxes are beautiful animals. I see them occasionally on my drive to work, usually as they run across the fields, never get to see them close up like this. Will never understand how some people get their jollies from chasing them down and watching them get torn to bits by a pack of dogs.
    I have a garden swing that seats 3. It is covered by a yawning.  
    A bloody fox decided to use it as a bed , dug holes in the soft fabric , picked and shat on the soft seating etc. I had to fold up in big plastic bags and take it to the council  tip. It will cost £69 to replace  the cover and £30 for the soft cushioning. It had been there 5 years no problem  until last month.  Proxy foxes.
    They look so cute though! ;)
  • Options
    I can't see nothing or nothing in that photo.
    Where's the Kingfisher?
  • Options
    I can't see nothing or nothing in that photo.
    Where's the Kingfisher?
    Lol.  Said it was a rubbish phone camera.  Zoomed in so probs see it now but blurry.