Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London (Inner City) Wildlife

Comments

• Options
    Oh ffs I was really enjoying the pictures on this thread then a bloody rat pops up ! I'm phobic about them mate. I would literally have to move house
  • Options
    Not my photo sadly, but a mates. Not London either, obviously, but indulge me with a pair of White Tailed Eagles larking about around a mile up the road from my gaff.

Wow, lucky you.
    I presume these are a pair from the rewilding programme on Culver on the Isle of Wight.
    Hope they swing over Wallisdown way next time  :)
  • Options
    Its a rat
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Sutcliffe Park
    Cormorant? Lovely. I hate seagulls by the way, greedy buggers. 
  • Options
    Re woodpeckers. (No picture) Apparently they do not have a bird song so when we hear them battering a tree they are actually calling for a mate.
  • Options
    Re woodpeckers. (No picture) Apparently they do not have a bird song so when we hear them battering a tree they are actually calling for a mate.
    Incorrect.
    When battering a tree they are disturbing insects in the bark on which they feed.
    Also, they do have individual calls (depending on the species), which they use for attracting others and announcing their territory.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm fairly confident this is a woodpecker, he battered the bark for about 20mins, crap photo but was a screenshot from a video clip

That’s a Greater Spotted.
    Yup, female.  The male has a red flash on the back of his neck.  These guys are regular visitors to our garden. 

Very occasionally we get the big green ones too.  These guys eat ants mainly, so you see them on the ground. And boy, is their cackling laugh call LOUD!  Our neighbours are convinced they are escaped parrots lol.
  • Options
    Not my photo sadly, but a mates. Not London either, obviously, but indulge me with a pair of White Tailed Eagles larking about around a mile up the road from my gaff.

Wow, lucky you.
    I presume these are a pair from the rewilding programme on Culver on the Isle of Wight.
    Hope they swing over Wallisdown way next time  :)
    Yes, I believe they are resident on the IoW but do like a wander around southern England from time to time. I have seen them in person, from a distance but useless trying to get a snap at that range just on a phone. Magnificent beasts. 

• Options

I hope you didn't start chanting "Eagles!" when you saw them...
  • Options
    we've got one in the trees at the bottom of our garden, haven't spotted him/her yet....but it's a noisy f**ker
  • Options
    We had hedgehogs almost every night last year from March to October, saw our first one this year on Sunday night. Just hope they haven't come out too early in this cold snap.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    A most stupid place for a couple of mallards to nest. Right next to the road that goes under Southend Pier.

Bless them. I can’t believe how chilled they are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have Blackbirds nesting in our apple tree, have seen a pair of blue tits a few times as well, they were having a nose around inside our summer house last week. We’ve a Robin who is always about when I’m digging the garden and always have loads of parakeets when the apples are out. 

We also get frogs In our pond and have a pair of toads living in the bushes behind it. 

You do know you'll get Warts now!
  • Options

• Options
     At my parents in Eltham, my dad made a birdhouse currently home to what they believe are sparrows.

They’ve been reading up on it and apparently once they fledge, they cannot fly for a up to 2 weeks.

They have a dog, so to have them on the ground in the garden is far from ideal. Anybody know what we can do with them or how we can help? 

• Options
    Not quite wild
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    We regularly get woodpeckers but I've no idea if they're quite common or not. 
    Greater Spotteds are fairly common in SE London; Greens are a bit more unusual in the city. Lesser Spotteds would be an insane find; I've never seen one
    Loads of green woodpeckers living in Camberwell New Cemetery / One Tree Hill. Never seem to see them beyond there though
    A lesser spotted in my friend's garden in (whisper it) Croydon - he's an Addick though (my friend, didn't ask the woodpecker) so it still counts.
  • Options
    Just literally ran into this guy in the Starbucks queue. Only second time I’ve seen a bear in whistler village in 13 years...
    The pictures are sideways because you dropped your 'phone as you were running away?
  • Options
    Went on a bit of a road trip and took the injured oriole to a wildlife centre today. Other than the woman saying she thought he was a kingfisher, I think its the best place for him
    How did he enjoy the wildlife centre?  You should take him to the zoo next.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Wilma said:
    Discovered a huge caterpillar in my flowerpot this morning, it's about three inches long. Any idea on what it might transform into? 

I reckon it's more likely to be an Elephant Hawk Moth. By the way this guy, Jason Steel, does some excellent photos:  http://www.jasonsteelwildlifephotography.yolasite.com/butterflies-and-moths.php
    I wish id seen this earlier. Took a photo of what i thought was an unusual looking buttterfly in Downham at the weekend and spent half an hour online looking to see if it was a rare species.
    Now see thats its a Jersey Tiger Moth. Im obviously no expert so didnt know moths can be day and night just assumed it was a butterfly as it was daylight.
    I think that moths land with flat wings and butterflies with raised wings so that makes them easy to differentiate.  I could be wrong, of course, and can't be arsed to look it up.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Is she waiting for you to clear the snow off her frisbee?