Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bacon Rind

Where the hell has it gone ?  Can’t remember last time I had bacon with rind still on. I used to love the crispy crunch of the rind or even if it was a bit chewy. Seems to cut off on all supermarket packs both smoked and unsmoked.

Comments

• Mr Porky has cornered the market in scratchings and takes all available pig skin for his perfectly formed little white packets.
  • Good. It should be gone as with all meat fat and offal based products. We’re not from the North....
  • But I bet the real answer is that consumers don't want it any more. There will be some like you and me that like it, but we will be massively outnumbered by those that don't like it and therefore its uneconomical to supply it. A bit like white eggs.

I'm pretty certain a good independent butchers would be more than happy to supply it.
  • Fumbluff said:
    Good. It should be gone as with all meat fat and offal based products. We’re not from the North....
    But the pigs are.🐖🐖🐖🐖🐖🐖
  • But I bet the real answer is that consumers don't want it any more. There will be some like you and me that like it, but we will be massively outnumbered by those that don't like it and therefore its uneconomical to supply it. A bit like white eggs.

I'm pretty certain a good independent butchers would be more than happy to supply it.
    I did think this but it’s more usual to keep things on to push up the packet weight ? For example chicken breast in packs usually have a certain amount of trimming required by the customer that’s hidden below the meat.
  • Used to catch some stonking eels on bacon rind down off Maybanks Pier, along from the Barrier.

Nan always gave us raw bacon rind for the soare throat. Still partial to a bit of raw rind now
  • edited June 2020
    The producers can most likely sell the rind at a higher price for pork scratching etc.
  • Used to catch some stonking eels on bacon rind down off Maybanks Pier, along from the Barrier.

Nan always gave us raw bacon rind for the soare throat. Still partial to a bit of raw rind now

Likewise, but further down by Greenwich Pier.
  • bobmunro said:
    Used to catch some stonking eels on bacon rind down off Maybanks Pier, along from the Barrier.

Likewise, but further down by Greenwich Pier.
    The old Greenwich Yacht Club, where the Greenwich Tent now stands, was another of my favourite spots for eels on bacon rind mate. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Fumbluff said:
    Good. It should be gone as with all meat fat and offal based products. We’re not from the North....
    Pitchforks and torches at the ready boys'n'girls we've got ourselves a troll.
  • Adrian Lewis has it shipped in from Denmark by the ton.
  • Mr Porky has cornered the market in scratchings and takes all available pig skin for his perfectly formed little white packets.
    But it's not as if pork scratching sales have rocketed in the last 40 years, indeed I imagine they're lower than they were back then.

I like a bit of rind, I prefer to trim the fat off, but not the rind
  • I trim the fat off and eat it raw.

The heavenly taste is well worth the 3 days on the bog. 

But it's not as if pork scratching sales have rocketed in the last 40 years, indeed I imagine they're lower than they were back then.

I like a bit of rind, I prefer to trim the fat off, but not the rind
    I have to admit pork scratching are one thing I have started buying since ‘lockdown’ a bag or two with a beer is one of the few highlights in my life at the moment. 
  • Middle Bacon still has the rind on. Available in all the usual supermarkets like this one at Tesco’s:

• now used to make 'leather' goods .. every sq inch of a pig is used for something .. although millions of pigs are being slaughtered and buried in the US as major processing plants (i.e. abattoirs) are closed due to the pandemic
  • Fumbluff said:
    Pitchforks and torches at the ready boys'n'girls we've got ourselves a troll.
    A bacon troll :(

And what about a proper crusty roll?
  • Sponsored links:

• Depends if you have a bacon sandwich after wolfbagging.
  • edited June 2020
    Nothing as primeval as being offered the crackling off of a roast pork joint, the smell, textures and jaw dropping carnivorous splendor of it exploding your taste buds...

Apologies to the lentil molesters tuning in, although i guess i am pretty safe on a thread titled "bacon rind"
  • If you want bacon rind buy quality bacon from a butcher, supermarket bacon is a very poor second injected with water and sliced so thin you can see through it.
  • edited June 2020
    now used to make 'leather' goods .. every sq inch of a pig is used for something .. although millions of pigs are being slaughtered and buried in the US as major processing plants (i.e. abattoirs) are closed due to the pandemic
    It’s hundreds of thousands Lincs not millions, but point taken.
  • Just had a Tesco bacon sarnie and had to cut the rind off...try there shoots....
  • edited June 2020
    Nothing as primeval as being offered the crackling off of a roast pork joint, the smell, textures and jaw dropping carnivorous splendor of it exploding your taste buds...

Apologies to the lentil molesters tuning in, although i guess i am pretty safe on a thread titled "bacon rind"
    You’re not safe. I’m watching you and I hold a grudge. 😉
    I was going to make a comment but I’m worried about what @Arsenetatters might say. I’ll post later when I’ve had time to chew the fat with someone.
  • Nothing as primeval as being offered the crackling off of a roast pork joint, the smell, textures and jaw dropping carnivorous splendor of it exploding your taste buds...

You’re not safe. I’m watching you and I hold a grudge. 😉
    I was gong to make a comment but I’m worried about what @Arsenetatters might say. I’ll post later when I’ve had time to chew the fat with someone.
    As Mrs Doyle would say 
    go on, go on, go on, go on....
  • now used to make 'leather' goods .. every sq inch of a pig is used for something .. although millions of pigs are being slaughtered and buried in the US as major processing plants (i.e. abattoirs) are closed due to the pandemic
    really ? .. read this .. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/29/millions-of-farm-animals-culled-as-us-food-supply-chain-chokes-up-coronavirus
    really ? .. read this .. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/29/millions-of-farm-animals-culled-as-us-food-supply-chain-chokes-up-coronavirus
    That’s not what I read earlier.
    I suppose if it was in The Guardian then it MUST be true.......🤔