Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Summer 2020

Comments

• Play starts at 4:15
  • 600 for Jimmy!
  • Magnificent achievement.

Arise Sir James.
  • The greatest English bowler of all time!

Yes it could be argued that others may have performed better over a shorter period of time but to do it over 17 years at the very top, as a fast, bowler is simply ridiculous.
  • The game finishes as a draw, but then England were playing Pakistan and not Surrey
  • and that's that. 
  • The game finishes as a draw, but then England were playing Pakistan and not Surrey
    Ouch 
  • Following in his father's footsteps:

JOSH DE CAIRES SIGNS THREE YEAR PROFESSIONAL CONTRACT WITH MIDDLESEX

Middlesex Cricket is today delighted to announce that Josh De Caires has signed a three-year professional contract with the club.

The rookie contract will see De Caires remain a Middlesex player throughout his University studies, until at least the end of the 2023 season.

A product of the Middlesex Academy, right-handed top order batsman De Caires, 18, first represented Middlesex at Under 10 level.

Having represented the club through the age groups, to Under 19’s level, he made his Second Eleven debut in 2017 at the age of just fifteen.

On De Caires signing his three-year contract, Stuart Law, Head Coach of Middlesex, said:

“It’s great to have Josh sign on as a rookie for the next three years.

“He is a very talented top order batsman with good pedigree, and we look forward to working with him over the coming years and helping in his development as a player and a young man.”

De Caires himself commented:

“I’m really excited to have been given the opportunity to be a pro at Middlesex.

I’m looking forward to what the next three years have in store.”

I've never understood the need for him to use his mother's name when most people know that he is the son of Michael Atherton, My son suggested that he should do the same but only because he doesn't want to be seen to be linked to a third rate cricketer! De Caires is a year older than my son and was playing on the next pitch to him where his opposite number was George Ealham, son of Mark and grandson of Alan - both Kent stalwarts. 

What I hadn't realised though that his maternal great grandfather, Frank de Caires, played for the West Indies - his Mum is from Guyana so presumably he too could play for the Windies though I think we will see him opening the batting for England one day.

• Going to University first like his father

I assume that Atherton has become a southern softie rather than staying in Manchester!
  • At 25 years old its very difficult for me to think of an England test match side without Jimmy Anderson. He has just always been there every series (barring 2005 the first series I watched and even then he was in the squad). Proper legend and it will really be the end of an era when he chooses to retire. 
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15189/scorecard/64032/england-vs-zimbabwe-1st-test-zimbabwe-tour-of-england-and-ireland-2003

3 of the England side for  Jimmy's first match were in the commentary box yesterday, Vaughan, Nasser and Key!
  • Jonathon Trott who made his debut 6 years after Jimmy, was on the coaching staff.
  • Have got a vague memory that Anderson only really cemented his place in the team when he was called up to play in Australia after someone got injured - maybe only as he was playing club cricket out there.

Have I made this up ?
  • .killerandflash said:
    Going to University first like his father

I assume that Atherton has become a southern softie rather than staying in Manchester!
    He's been living in London for at least a dozen years. Probably because it suited both him, working for Sky and his wife's business interests. They have owned properties in both Hertfordshire and Notting Hill I believe. 
  • I get it. Nic Cage refused to be a Coppola. This is the same thing ;)
  • Talking of vague memories wasn't Jimmy hailed as an all rounder when he first broke into the one day side? 
  • That is a very vague memory, haha. You might be thinking of Darren Gough ;) 
  • Central contracts have helped Jimmy and broady enormously 
  • Can't see Jimmy's batting ever putting him ias potential all rounder category. But a step up from the Kent bowler a while back (Kevin Jarvis?) who was having a good day if he got 1 not out. That said Bob Woolner started more as a bowler batting 8
  • Talking of vague memories wasn't Jimmy hailed as an all rounder when he first broke into the one day side? 
    Broad, no?
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't see Jimmy's batting ever putting him ias potential all rounder category. But a step up from the Kent bowler a while back (Kevin Jarvis?) who was having a good day if he got 1 not out. That said Bob Woolner started more as a bowler batting 8
    So did Steve Smith!!
  • bobmunro said:

Can't see Jimmy's batting ever putting him ias potential all rounder category. But a step up from the Kent bowler a while back (Kevin Jarvis?) who was having a good day if he got 1 not out. That said Bob Woolner started more as a bowler batting 8
    So did Steve Smith!!
    Wow! Wish he'd stayed there and run out of partners sooner!
    John snow started at Sussex as a bat
    Broad, no?
    No definitely thinking of Jimmy. Maybe hailed is too strong but I thought he was talked up on the back of one or two decent knocks. 

• lolwray said:
    Central contracts have helped Jimmy and broady enormously 
    That's why it's slightly unfair to compare their stats with earlier generations. Both brilliant bowlers, but for several years Jimmy and Broady have been carefully managed to effectively be professional Test bowlers, with no white ball bowling and a bare minimum of county championship, so they've lasted longer in Terst cricket. And in an era with more Test cricket than before

Jimmy for example has 600 Test wickets, but fewer than 1000 first class wickets
    Beefy had 383 Test wickets but 1172 first class wickets
    Trueman had 307 Test wickets but 2304 first class wickets!

If Trueman had been around today, how many Test wickets would he have got?

Malcolm Marshall had 376 Test wickets at 20.9, and an amazing 1651 first class wickets at 19.1
    Broad, no?
    No definitely thinking of Jimmy. Maybe hailed is too strong but I thought he was talked up on the back of one or two decent knocks. 

No I think he had done a lot of batting work in the nets, which is why he was trusted to be England’s night watchman for many years 
  • edited August 2020
    Talking of vague memories wasn't Jimmy hailed as an all rounder when he first broke into the one day side? 
    Broad, no?

No I think he had done a lot of batting work in the nets, which is why he was trusted to be England’s night watchman for many years 

I'm thinking very early in his career when he just broke into the ODI side. His consecutive innings avoiding a duck was a notable test achievement though.
    Broad, no?

I'm thinking very early in his career when he just broke into the ODI side. His consecutive innings avoiding a fuck was a notable test achievement though.
    What he gets up to in his private life is none of our business  :D
  • edited August 2020
    Talking of vague memories wasn't Jimmy hailed as an all rounder when he first broke into the one day side? 
    Broad, no?

I'm thinking very early in his career when he just broke into the ODI side. His consecutive innings avoiding a fuck was a notable test achievement though.
    What he gets up to in his private life is none of our business  :D
    Oops.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53926197

Jason Roy out of the Pakistan T20 series with a side strain

Definitely a sign of the modern white ball era with its power hitting, you can't imagine batsmen 20 years ago being ruled out by side strains!