Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell - Not Necessarily A Good Manager

Comments

• Options
    What’s up @PopIcon ?

First a really juvenile and unfunny edit of someone’s quote, and now a thread clearly intended to provoke. 

All a bit unecessary and out of character. You ok?
  • Options
    What about taking us to a 9th place finish in the champ with a threadbare squad and a league one budget, and then to a cup quarter with an even more threadbare squad?

• Options
    Chloe
    Yes
    Yes
  • Options
    There’s a very simple rule in football.

players suss out a bad / poor manager very very quickly.

players don’t put 100% effort in for bad / poor managers

teams don’t achieve anything with bad / poor managers

• Options
    You can say the same about most managers, Wenger, Guardiola Ferguson ...
  • Options
    Good grief. What gave rise to this all of a sudden?
    He just shat himself, while losing his virginity, in public, possibly due to a side effect of having the flu, and wanted to start a thread to take his mind off the embarrassment.
    3 out of 4's not bad - so obviously still a virgin and for the good of manandwomankind staying that way for the remainder of its pitiful existence, joyless keyboard wanker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What’s up @PopIcon ?

First a really juvenile and unfunny edit of someone’s quote, and now a thread clearly intended to provoke. 

The owner of the original post that I edited was behaving like an annoying dick over the weekend, the post was more to rock his boat than benefit others.

I'm not sure provoke is the right word. I doubt any Charlton supporter would question that CP is both a legend and a CAFC hero.

The 'Jill Gascoigne RIP' thread has more views than the 'Jason Euell Interview' one, the 'How Many Holes Does a Straw have' has more than 'The Players Need the Fans' and don't even ask about the 'Our Club, Our Future CAST meets Foundations or Hearts' as 'Which car, from TV or the movies, would you most like to own?', the 'Favourite / Worst Smells?' and 'CL Online Chess Tournament' all have more views.

We have 115 years worth of history and I'd rather have a debate Chris Powells 101 season, than know what shade brown North Stand Steves shit is. 

I'm fine though, thanks for the concerns.

• Options
    Good grief. What gave rise to this all of a sudden?
    He just shat himself, while losing his virginity, in public, possibly due to a side effect of having the flu, and wanted to start a thread to take his mind off the embarrassment.
    3 out of 4's not bad - so obviously still a virgin and for the good of manandwomankind staying that way for the remainder of its pitiful existence, joyless keyboard wanker.
    Come again?
  • Options
    He did a great job for us and had the rug pulled from under him when it was looking like he could take us further. Not sure why this ground needs raking up.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    What’s up @PopIcon ?

The owner of the original post that I edited was behaving like an annoying dick over the weekend, the post was more to rock his boat than benefit others.

I'm not sure provoke is the right word. I doubt any Charlton supporter would question that CP is both a legend and a CAFC hero.

The 'Jill Gascoigne RIP' thread has more views than the 'Jason Euell Interview' one, the 'How Many Holes Does a Straw have' has more than 'The Players Need the Fans' and don't even ask about the 'Our Club, Our Future CAST meets Foundations or Hearts' as 'Which car, from TV or the movies, would you most like to own?', the 'Favourite / Worst Smells?' and 'CL Online Chess Tournament' all have more views.

We have 115 years worth of history and I'd rather have a debate Chris Powells 101 season, than know what shade brown North Stand Steves shit is. 

Can you send a link for that last discussion you mention? Cheers.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Jesus, we have some weird supporters. Quiet news day, so I'll slag off a club legend and see if I can reignite a debate that's already been done to death. Not that there is a debate to be had, the facts speak for themselves:

- 5th highest budget in League 1, finished 1st, 101 points. So over-achieved by 4 places, with a gigantic points tally.

- Tony Jimenez runs out of cash, Lawrie Wilson is the only transfer fee we pay following promotion. Finishes 9th.

- Club on brink of administration, can't even afford to maintain the pitch properly. Then a Belgian idiot turns up and takes a sledgehammer to the squad. SCP takes us to an FA Cup Quarter Final. I think he would have kept us up comfortably, some will disagree. 

Not much to criticise there.

Pardew, Parky, Peeters, Luzon, Fraeye, Riga, Slade, Robinson - none of them get close. 

I’m not sure if Powell would have kept us up, the Roland interference seemed to weigh him down and deflate him (understandably). I wouldn’t have blamed him if we went down that year, just like bowyer has zero blame now. I remember posting at the time, when the Roland affect was starting to become public, that Powell didn’t need to be sacked but needed a director of football just to take some of the Roland interference away from him and to let him do what he was paid to do.....manage.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Oooh......I love this type of thread.

Starsky & Hutch   (2 Guinea pigs)
    Yes
    Yes.......on a golf course a few times.

As for Chris Powell......he brought in Yann Kormorgant so he's in credit with me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well that all went very well.
  • Options
    SCP is a legend... Period. This discussion is pointless and should be consigned to the bin! We have far graver things to be concerned about. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    seth plum said:
    Boo Boo, never had sex with a coastal seabird, don't know, yes.
    Chris Powell gave us that Cardiff game that will live long in the memory.
    I'd like to hear more about the shitting yourself in a public place please. 

I once had chronic diarrhoea at a Charlton match and no fewer than six lavvy visits during the match. In hindsight I should have gone home.
    That must have been while Charlton were desperately defending a 1 goal lead during the 7 minutes of Added Time.
    You know what I mean, all 22 players were in our box including the oppo keeper.

No wonder you had chronic diarhoea. So did our players, I bet.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Never had a pet, a gentleman never tells, no and no.

Great thread
    In that case, Henry, there’s no reason you can’t tell us.
  • Options
    Blackie, pipe tobacco’s not my thing, twice, no. 
  • Options

• Options
    Stig said:
    I think the opening post might have a little more credibility if any of the managers since had come anywhere near to Powell's 101 points. That record still stands and is (unfortunately) likely to do so for many many years.
    I would never knock what Powell achieves but I think bowyer finishing 3rd with loans and frees working under Roland is a lot bigger achievement than Powell winning the league. I’m not taking anything away from Powell. Under him, Charlton felt like Charlton and he gave us a promotion and he deserves all the credit for that! I think that bowyers task was harder and finishing 3rd with that squad is a bigger achievement, but both big achievements.

No offence but these kinds of comparisons are very daft and unnecessary.

It is way too direct.

The situations are a lot more complicated.

Would bowyer have got Charlton 101 points with Powell's squad?

I don't think so.

Would Powell have finished in the top 6 under Roland. The bloke who naturally obviously hated him.

No, of course not.

The two seperate situations are very different and they had loads of different kinds of challenges.

It's not about a who is better then who.

They both did great jobs. End of story.

Managers can be just like players. They rise and they fall.

Or they start off shit...but get a lot better as time passes by.

Or, they are like Russel Slade. Or they are as consistently great as sir Alex.

Football managers are not machines. They are just people.

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Stig said:
    I think the opening post might have a little more credibility if any of the managers since had come anywhere near to Powell's 101 points. That record still stands and is (unfortunately) likely to do so for many many years.
    I would never knock what Powell achieves but I think bowyer finishing 3rd with loans and frees working under Roland is a lot bigger achievement than Powell winning the league. I’m not taking anything away from Powell. Under him, Charlton felt like Charlton and he gave us a promotion and he deserves all the credit for that! I think that bowyers task was harder and finishing 3rd with that squad is a bigger achievement, but both big achievements.

No offence but these kinds of comparisons are very daft and unnecessary.

Or they start off shit...but get a lot better as time passes by.

Or, they are like Russel Slade. Or they are as consistently great as sir Alex.

Football managers are not machines. They are just people.

Sir Alex didn't make the best of starts at Man Utd.

He really struggled in his first couple of seasons there. 
    In your own immortal words, "Or they start off shit...but get a lot better as time passes by."

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    What’s up @PopIcon ?

Really? Doesn't sound like it.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    PopIcon said:
    What’s up @PopIcon ?

Really? Doesn't sound like it.
    Is that all you could think of to say? How fitting.

As a striker, if you score 15/20 goals in a season and never replicate the feat, does that make you a good striker?

I can think of loads of players who've had one or two good seasons and then vanished in to obscurity.