Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League One curtailed - PPG promotes Coventry and Rotherham

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Playoffs will be Wycombe, Oxford, Portsmouth and Fleetwood.
    Relegated teams: Bolton, Southend, Tranmere.
    So just as it is then? Wait no? Just seen Wycombe have jumped 2 places and moved Peterborough out of play offs... 

Cruel and wrong IMO
    Its probably more harsh on Tranmere than the rest, they were in form and had a game in hand against Wimbledon three points above them

Certainly not been boring being a fan of them though

Relegated | Relegated | Promoted | Promoted | Relegated has been their last five seasons
    Their next game was at Wimbledon, if that weekends fixtures were fulfilled, it could have been very different
    So, Tranmere had a game in hand over Wimbledon AND had to play them as well.

So how does relegating Tranmere make sense. 

Because there is no guarantee that tranmere would have won them both.

say tranmere had won their game in hand, they still would have finished below Wimbledon on goal difference 
    Eh...? They still had to play Wimbledon so if they beat them by a few goals & won their game in hand they would be above them. 

A bit like us & Hull apart from the game in game.

You can't just end a season without playing all the games. Otherwise I would like the records changed to show that in 1998/99 we didnt play our last game & we stayed up. 
    And what if they lost to Wimbledon and their game in hand. We will never find out. But agree, if you can’t finish the season, void it
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Wycombe votes to end the season but are just fine with playing in the play-offs. Funny how that works!
    They were on a bad run of form - Agreeing to continue the season could have seen them drop away further

Especially as their game in hand was against Coventry

Good to see Coventry back in the Championship, cant believe its nearly been a decade since they were last at this level
    Couldn’t give a sh!t about Coventry. There only claim to fame is SCP scored his last goal against them. 

1987 FA Cup winners.
    and the first club to convert their stadium to all seating
  • Options
    Pleased that Rotherham got promoted. Normally favourites for relegation and quite a decent away ground. Coventry is rubbish. Been Ricoh Arena twice and have not enjoyed either trips. Empty bowl with no pubs nearby. Cannot see these two doing much next season than trying to survive. 

Was wondering if Coventry were back at the Ricoh next season or staying at St Andrews. Are they definitely moving back?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Playoffs will be Wycombe, Oxford, Portsmouth and Fleetwood.
    Relegated teams: Bolton, Southend, Tranmere.
    So just as it is then? Wait no? Just seen Wycombe have jumped 2 places and moved Peterborough out of play offs... 

Cruel and wrong IMO
    Its probably more harsh on Tranmere than the rest, they were in form and had a game in hand against Wimbledon three points above them

Certainly not been boring being a fan of them though

Relegated | Relegated | Promoted | Promoted | Relegated has been their last five seasons
    Their next game was at Wimbledon, if that weekends fixtures were fulfilled, it could have been very different
    So, Tranmere had a game in hand over Wimbledon AND had to play them as well.

So how does relegating Tranmere make sense. 

Because there is no guarantee that tranmere would have won them both.

say tranmere had won their game in hand, they still would have finished below Wimbledon on goal difference 
    But that assumes that would be the only game played.

Don't forget Tranmere also still had to play Wimbledon  - and if they had won that they would have been 3 points above Wimbledon.
    And if the season had been fulfilled, plenty of other twists and turns could have seen other clubs drawn into a relegation position.

Remember also, that if PPG had been applied after 35 games last season, both Oxford and Wimbledon would have been relegated.
    Both escaped relegation!

It's a farce; outside of the rules applied to the the competition at the commencement of the season.
    A mockery of the spirit of the game and totally unsporting.

• Options
    It doesn't appear set in stone that Coventry are back at the Ricoh Arena next season, no agreement has yet been reached

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/mps-call-coventry-return-sky-18390166.amp

Does make you wonder if no agreement is reached, will Birmingham still be happy to share St Andrews now Coventry have been promoted and they will have 2 games against Coventry one of which they would have to be the away team at their own ground
  • Options
    It doesn't appear set in stone that Coventry are back at the Ricoh Arena next season, no agreement has yet been reached

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/mps-call-coventry-return-sky-18390166.amp

Does make you wonder if no agreement is reached, will Birmingham still be happy to share St Andrews now Coventry have been promoted and they will have 2 games against Coventry one of which they would have to be the away team at their own ground
    Didn’t that happen anyway this season in one of the cups?
  • Options

Didn’t that happen anyway this season in one of the cups?
    Yeah was the FA Cup, ironically it went to replay
  • Options
    Given that they’ve already been there a season, I wouldn’t be against it if I was a Brum fan, I’ve always wanted to know what it’s like to have an “away day” at the Valley.
  • Options
    Given that they’ve already been there a season, I wouldn’t be against it if I was a Brum fan, I’ve always wanted to know what it’s like to have an “away day” at the Valley.
    I couldn't think of anything worse 

my view is fulfil the fixtures or void the season 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joke of a decision to curtail L1 & L2 and promote and relegate clubs when the season isn't finished. As others have said if you can't complete the season then it should be voided. 
  • Options
    Pleased that Rotherham got promoted. Normally favourites for relegation and quite a decent away ground. Coventry is rubbish. Been Ricoh Arena twice and have not enjoyed either trips. Empty bowl with no pubs nearby.Cannot see these two doing much next season than trying to survive. 

So the same as us this season .

Coventry were brilliant at The Valley during the protests .
  • Options
    Didn’t the Peterborough Chairman say on a tweet in a response to Charlton fan he didn’t really know Southall at all and took him at face value (once it came out what a twunt he was) 
    so basically what 99% of Charlton fans did and he got conned as well by lapping up the pricks bullshit 
  • Options
    The maths isn't working out 

So that tweet says bravo to the 4 clubs who did vote to play on

Peterborough 
    Tranmere
    Sunderland owner wanted to play on
    Ipswich wanted to play on
    Portsmouth CEO has said they voted to play
    Oxford have apparently said all along they want to finish it on the pitch

Thats 6 for a start, so either the maths is wrong or 2 clubs didnt vote how they said they would 
  • Options
    Wait just re  read what Darragh said inthe tweet, 18 clubs voted not to play, so that would leave 5 clubs that voted to play on, which probably were 5 of the 6 I listed above lol. so only one of those probably changed their mind either Oxford or Ipswich my guess

Darragh confused me by saying 4 clubs voted to play on
  • Options
    Assume that MacAnthony means bravo to the 4 clubs other than his own that voted to play on.

Sunderland, Pompey, Ipswich, Tranmere.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Will be actively rooting against Wycombe. Vote to void and grab a playoff place instead. Disgusting 
    Quiz question in a few years time though if they do go up. Which team finished 8th but ended the season promoted?
  • Options
    Wycombe were level on points with Sunderland in 7th and Peterborough in 6th. Sunderland has played two games more.

im glad Peterborough miss out because of their owners friendship and praise for southall
    McAnthony has been a proper whingy bitch throughout all this too

Complaining that they're the highest scorers | have the best goal difference in the league so its not fair they shouldnt be in the Play-Offs

Well how about you make sure you've got the most points for once rather than pointless stats
    That’s all I saw on here to be honest, when there was talk of Charlton getting relegated via PPG. Bowyer all over the media as well, being what some would call a ‘whingy bitch, going on about only falling in to the PPG relegation zone with the last Kick of the last game. 
  • Options
    P.s. I don’t think he was being a whingy bitch, I think both of them was making fair points. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of that post 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I couldn't think of anything worse 

my view is fulfil the fixtures or void the season 
    I agree with complete or void. PPG is still nonsense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The EFL have lost the integrity of its competitions by doing this. In football you win and you lose, but you haven't won until you have won and you haven't lost until you have lost. Except in Leagues One and Two.
  • Options
    hopefully the EFL will now face a few legal battles from affected clubs
  • Options
    That will make
    league one very hard next year. IF we go down 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Macclesfield players feel they are being thrown out the league by the EFL. Its because the club were unable to pay the wages of the players early in the season. "The fans deserve happier days, so I hope that common sense will prevail at the EFL, in terms of the current 'unfair' PPG calculations."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52988026

the club only have 7 players for next season. if they go down i believe that could be the end for them. 

but who gives a shit as now it looks that goodison can hold the merseyside derby. 

• Options
    i cant see how anyone even if their club does ok out of it will feel this PPG is fair. 

its a fucking joke and the EFL will get away with it due to it being the lower leagues and the media dont give a toss outside the premiership. 
  • Options
    I remember being at the match when Charlton were at home to Palace ....... at Sh*thurst.

Palace in the away dressing room.

• Options
    If you are going to have play off games, why not have Posh v Wycombe to see which one of them should be in the play offs? I don't think this should happen btw, but it is fairer than what is happening.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I remember being at the match when Charlton were at home to Palace ....... at Sh*thurst.

Palace in the away dressing room.

I remember us playing away at Upton Park when we were groundsharing there. By the time the reverse fixture was played we were at The Valley so the West Ham fans never had the pleasure of being the away team at their own ground!
  • Options
    Yes,  that was a bit strange.  We were used to standing on the North Bank and then for that game we were up the other end.