Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League One curtailed - PPG promotes Coventry and Rotherham

124»

Comments

• Options
    Macclesfield players feel they are being thrown out the league by the EFL. Its because the club were unable to pay the wages of the players early in the season. "The fans deserve happier days, so I hope that common sense will prevail at the EFL, in terms of the current 'unfair' PPG calculations."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52988026

the club only have 7 players for next season. if they go down i believe that could be the end for them. 

but who gives a shit as now it looks that goodison can hold the merseyside derby. 

I get why the players are upset, but the clubs owners have constantly broke rules and not paud wages this season, and have to face the punishment, if they had only done it once then they would only have got the Points deduction once, but its been 3 or 4 times.

Whilst I think its wrong the club is punished for what the owner is doing, that is how the rules currently are so there can be no complaints and if they get another deduction which they should get after being charged again, then they will get relegated 
  • Options
    all about money and practicality for leagues 1 & 2 .. most of the clubs just can't afford to be travelling up and down the country to play games in empty stadia, paying for travel, insurances, wages and everything else, with zero income .. as it is they can now sort out contracts, dump and sign players, and prepare for next season
    ANY decision other than playing out the season is unsatisfactory. This outcome is unfair to some, but fair to the majority and is the best available compromise 
    No. The best compromise is to finish the 46 games whenever and with whoever that may be. Then do the next 46.
    It's simple and fairest.
    The problem here starts with not having any rules about this in place. We have had to curtail a season before so I'm still surprised that clubs haven't had a chance to vote on this before starting a season. It's too late to do it now. 
  • Options
    No matter the result how is that fair? Surely either play and finish or void. Teams promoted/relegated seems like a legal battle waiting to happen. Feel for Peterborough really  as they would have made the play offs, possibly sunderland too. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Macclesfield players feel they are being thrown out the league by the EFL. Its because the club were unable to pay the wages of the players early in the season. "The fans deserve happier days, so I hope that common sense will prevail at the EFL, in terms of the current 'unfair' PPG calculations."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52988026

the club only have 7 players for next season. if they go down i believe that could be the end for them. 

but who gives a shit as now it looks that goodison can hold the merseyside derby. 

I get why the players are upset, but the clubs owners have constantly broke rules and not paud wages this season, and have to face the punishment, if they had only done it once then they would only have got the Points deduction once, but its been 3 or 4 times.

Whilst I think its wrong the club is punished for what the owner is doing, that is how the rules currently are so there can be no complaints and if they get another deduction which they should get after being charged again, then they will get relegated 
    they are the rules so i agree though its unfair due to it being the owners fault and not the club but what about the rules regarding Derby and Sheffield wed? seems the EFL are happy to throw points deductions at certain clubs but not others. 
  • Options
    If you are going to have play off games, why not have Posh v Wycombe to see which one of them should be in the play offs? I don't think this should happen btw, but it is fairer than what is happening.
    I touched on this yesterday and concluded where do you draw the line.

sunderland could then say they were level on points and push for a match against Peterborough to play Wycombe to get to the play offs. Void the season and let the top two be promoted. 
  • Options
    all about money and practicality for leagues 1 & 2 .. most of the clubs just can't afford to be travelling up and down the country to play games in empty stadia, paying for travel, insurances, wages and everything else, with zero income .. as it is they can now sort out contracts, dump and sign players, and prepare for next season
    ANY decision other than playing out the season is unsatisfactory. This outcome is unfair to some, but fair to the majority and is the best available compromise 
    No. The best compromise is to finish the 46 games whenever and with whoever that may be. Then do the next 46.
    It's simple and fairest.
    The problem here starts with not having any rules about this in place. We have had to curtail a season before so I'm still surprised that clubs haven't had a chance to vote on this before starting a season. It's too late to do it now. 
    It's simple and fairest.

well, a question of semantics  .. the whole point is that this EFL fudge is a COMPROMISE .. playing out the season would be the right thing and would therefore not need a compromise
  • Options
    If you are going to have play off games, why not have Posh v Wycombe to see which one of them should be in the play offs? I don't think this should happen btw, but it is fairer than what is happening.
    I touched on this yesterday and concluded where do you draw the line.

sunderland could then say they were level on points and push for a match against Peterborough to play Wycombe to get to the play offs. Void the season and let the top two be promoted. 
    How can you promote if voided? 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Now that the Championship is going to continue, I can say, without the accusation of bias, that promoting the top two is the fairest way if you feel you have to promote and relegate. The teams in the play offs have a far more dubious claim to promotion than the top two. The play offs are designed to give the season interest which is not the main objective now. 

It is a failing of the league that it had no contigency as any vote now is in the most part made around self interest. Considering the lack of a contingency, the fair way is to complete the season or void the season if that is not possible.
  • Options
    Pleased that Rotherham got promoted. Normally favourites for relegation and quite a decent away ground. Coventry is rubbish. Been Ricoh Arena twice and have not enjoyed either trips. Empty bowl with no pubs nearby. Cannot see these two doing much next season than trying to survive. 

Coventry are ground sharing at St Andrews.
  • Options
    Wycombe votes to end the season but are just fine with playing in the play-offs. Funny how that works!
    They were on a bad run of form - Agreeing to continue the season could have seen them drop away further

Especially as their game in hand was against Coventry

Good to see Coventry back in the Championship, cant believe its nearly been a decade since they were last at this level
    Couldn’t give a sh!t about Coventry. There only claim to fame is SCP scored his last goal against them. 

1987 FA Cup winners.
    and the first club to convert their stadium to all seating
    Under Jimmy Hill?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wycombe votes to end the season but are just fine with playing in the play-offs. Funny how that works!
    They were on a bad run of form - Agreeing to continue the season could have seen them drop away further

Good to see Coventry back in the Championship, cant believe its nearly been a decade since they were last at this level
    Couldn’t give a sh!t about Coventry. There only claim to fame is SCP scored his last goal against them. 

1987 FA Cup winners.
    Under Jimmy Hill?
    They were under everyone - that's the point of seating...
  • Options

1987 FA Cup winners.
    Under Jimmy Hill?
    t'was lol
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Given that they’ve already been there a season, I wouldn’t be against it if I was a Brum fan, I’ve always wanted to know what it’s like to have an “away day” at the Valley.
    I remember being at the match when Charlton were at home to Palace ....... at Sh*thurst.

Palace in the away dressing room.

I remember us playing away at Upton Park when we were groundsharing there. By the time the reverse fixture was played we were at The Valley so the West Ham fans never had the pleasure of being the away team at their own ground!
    Did we play them that season 92/93 ?
    Yes, they had a 1 season spell out of the top flight

We won 1-0 at Upton Park, Pardew with the goal
  • Options
    I recall plans to make The Valley all seater at about the same time as Coventry. God knows how they would have bolted seats onto the East Terrace - it wasn't exactly the the most level set of steps.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    When they seated the Covered End in 80/81 it was a crime against goal celebrations. Used to love a good surge. 
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    When they seated the Covered End in 80/81 it was a crime against goal celebrations. Used to love a good surge. 

Every time we scored, arms round shoulders in a long line doing the knees up and singing, "Knees up Mother Brown".

And then tumbling down the terracing.

Miss those days (sigh).