Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley threatening EFL ahead of Disciplinary action for Wednesday, Derby & Birmingham

Comments

• Options
    Wednesday 1/100 on to be relegated. Bookies know something?
  • Options
    If if if if we stay up it's actually better for us if Wigan and Wednesday have their points deductions next season.

That would be, in the case of Wednesday, grossly unfair on the other relegated sides.

But I wouldn't put it passed the EFL to deflect criticism about their treatment of Wigan by putting Wednesday beneath them so keeping Wigan up.

And no, I've not had a drink. Yet

• Options
    dickplumb said:
    Covering themselves just in case they get the deduction?
  • Options
    As far as I have understood it it’s the independent panel that gives the points deduction, not the EFL.

The article in the Athletic the other day said the EFL had been pushing the panel to announce something before this weekend, but that obviously didn’t happen. If the EFL don’t think the points deduction is sufficient they could appeal to the panel to increase it (as they have done with Macclesfield).

I know the EFL have been painfully slow with a lot of other things, but from what I’ve read the delay in this announcement isn’t directly because of their incompetence.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    True Dat.

• Options
    Sage said:
    The EFL will wait for the season to finish, then announce that Wednesday will receive X points deduction that puts them just outside the bottom 3. They will then have a further Y points deduction suspended or applied at the start of next season. 

There is no chance they’ll punish them properly now, it’s too late, it’s ridiculous. 
    I thought this, but they gave Birmingham 9 points & they assisted in the enquiry. Even a 9 point deduction might not be enough with then losing today. And they can't give them less than 9 surely. 

I'm just assuming that they are waiting until after all the games have been played & then either relegating them completely or giving them an enough of a points deduction that will relegate them anyway.....which would also get the EFL out of trouble with Wigan if it means Wigan  staying up. 
    If the EFL could make a choice they would almost certainly relegate Wednesday not Wigan. 
  • Options
    Bookies arnt normally out of kilter too often... Couple that we the meltdown I'm reading on owl's talk it seems that the club know their guilty and what's going to happen.... Of course they could all be bollox but that bit of hope will keep me going for a few days. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The FFP standard deduction is 12 points but with potential for it to be higher. Birmingham got a reduction of 3 points because they alerted the EFL to the issue and co-operated at the time. There is no way, if found guilty, Sheffield Wednesday will get less than 12 points.

We know when the hearing started and I think we can be pretty sure it is not still going on. I can only think Wednesday have been found guilty as if they were found innocent, that would have been announced straight away. We can only speculate why it is taking so long to hear the punishment.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    True Dat.

I’m not a gambler so the above means very little to me....

Would someone mind Krypton Factoring it for me so the ones they think are most likely to go down are at the bottom (assume that’s now Wednesday) and the rest in ascending order with less likeliness to go down?
    Also where‘s Barnsley and Hull?
    I’m confooosed...
  • Options
    Adrian Durham mentioned a 9 point deduction for Wednesday earlier today. If they fail to win their last match would take them below us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Latest rumour on Owlstalk is that a poster there reckons he's heard from ' 2 very trustworthy sources' that Wednesday were found guilty at the hearing and have known the outcome for over a week.

Again, could just be another made up rumour, but it does seem weird that we know their case has finished but we haven't heard the outcome.

Speculation is that both sides agreed not to announce the outcome until an appeal had been heard.
  • Options
    Latest rumour on Owlstalk is that a poster there reckons he's heard from ' 2 very trustworthy sources' that Wednesday were found guilty at the hearing and have known the outcome for over a week.

Again, could just be another made up rumour, but it does seem weird that we know their case has finished but we haven't heard the outcome.

Speculation is that both sides agreed not to announce the outcome until an appeal had been heard.
    If that's true, wonder if the players are aware of the outcome or if it's just the people upstairs. Little bit of me feels a bit sorry for the fans in total limbo over this, especially as those not particularly following the story (if that's even possible) could be in for a very nasty shock.
  • Options
    Bonne's late, late goal could be vital as if Wednesday get deducted 12, they can't catch us!
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Adrian Durham mentioned a 9 point deduction for Wednesday earlier today. If they fail to win their last match would take them below us
    With Middlesbrough their last game. 

Whoever is third from bottom if it is not them should Crowd fund to sue them and the EFL. I think a lot of fans would chip in.
  • Options
    Durham is an idiot.... Fact!

I'd trust Nixon for information more than him! 
  • Options
    I can just imagine Wednesday night's Quest show as the punishments are announced

"Before the break we saw the heartbroken Wigan players, relegated by their 12 point deduction but during the break we heard that the EFL have now deducted 12 points from Sheffield Wednesday so they are relegated and Wigan are safe...hold on, another announcement"
  • Options
    MattF said:

If that's true, wonder if the players are aware of the outcome or if it's just the people upstairs. Little bit of me feels a bit sorry for the fans in total limbo over this, especially as those not particularly following the story (if that's even possible) could be in for a very nasty shock.
    100% if the outcome is known by the suits upstairs, then Monk and his players will also know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    The odds indicate that no bookies want to take a bet on Wednesday because of the unspecified punishment rather than knowing they're nailed on for relegation (imo). They're not offering odds on Wigan for the same reason.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cheers, Redrobo ....... though it's a syndicated article that's been published in on-line 'newspapers' all over the country.

• Options
    It is the plain sight cheating that shows the extent of the problem. Classing Rooney as a coach is a great example of how they are getting round player salary budget rules. And add to that selling the ground to themselves!!Wednesday have invented sponsors to pull the wool over the authority's eyes! They sold the ground to themselves too, but moved the tax year falsely to not fall foul of the rules. Apart from being ridiculous,this is dishonest and unfair on those clubs trying to compete fairly.
    ....and no money has actually been paid yet. 
  • Options
    Interesting post Muttley.  Enjoy L1 the Massives.  Would be delighted if they went down and Luton, Wigan and us all stay up.
  • Options
    Why would they not at least make a statement to explain the delay?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    This is what I don't understand and nor does anybody else. But there has to be an outcome and a reason any statement has been delayed. Maybe Wednesday have requested no announcement subject to appeal. Ultimately there has to be a decision, guilty or not guilty and then punishment or no punishment. Maybe the points deduction cannot be announced legally until the EFL Know what it is in each season.