Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley threatening EFL ahead of Disciplinary action for Wednesday, Derby & Birmingham

Comments

• Options
    Quote from the Star article:

"They currently sit on 49 points and have 24 points to play for. A total of 42 points would have seen them stay up in four of the last five seasons....."

Shame this season is not one of the '4 out 5' quoted above, otherwise we would be safe now.... 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    You can never be sure with the EFL but the anticipated punishment is likely to be 12 points or more. If this was to be the case, Wednesday would be at least 5 points behind us. Of course the punishment could be deferred to next season. The indiscretion is there for all to see. I can't see how they can not be found guilty in all honesty. They were not meeting FFP and solved it with an accounting fudge involving a dodgy sale of the ground to themselves they attributed to the wrong financial year. Their argument seems to be that the EFL gave them permission to do this, but surely the EFL would not have taken the action against them if this was the case.
  • Options
    No doubt they are useless but are they corrupt?

We know money talks in football, just saying.

I believe they should be investigated.
    I honestly do believe they are corrupt. 
    Their hapless non-compliance with their own rules and decisions is the corruption, I really don't think they share sufficient intellect to construct a working malpractice for their individual benefit.
  • Options
    The points deducted will depend on the time in the season that they're given - If the season is complete and they're less than 12-pts above the drop then Wednesday are not going to be given a point deduction to that effect

The EFL have already proven in this last week that they wont relegate Macclesfield on their issues this season so certainly wont do it to Sheff Wed or Derby
  • Options
    The fact of selling the ground to the owner and the valuation used are done, finished there's nothing EFL can do about either.  It's far too late and EFL doesn't have the skill.
    The blatant malpractice in reflecting the transaction in financial accounts, months before it was ever considered, let alone took place, is so simplistic as to be comical.  All this 'independent disciplinary commission' has left to consider is Sheff W's contention that EFL was on board with the scheme and its accounting treatment all along.  If the witless twats at EFL, even tacitly, rubber stamped Chansiri's ludicrous chicanery, then no punishment can ever be made to stick and all our righteous indignation will just be so much hot air.  If EFL actively or passively agreed that the ground sale proceeds were legitimately included in the Profitability & Sustainability calculations but not that they could be imagined back a whole year then some punishment might follow.
    EFL's passion for negligent stupidity leads me to fear that Wednesday are free and clear - not cos they didn't cheat but cos the arbiter is inept.
    In the less likely outcome that Wednesday cheated with the timing, we can put our houses on EFL waiting til 46 matches are completed and the positions known, then watch Wednesday get a points penalty which won't impact promotion or relegation.
    EFL should have penalised Brum but let them off for no reason at all. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Thanks for sharing @aliwibble

Chances are they'll get fxck all then.

• Options
    There is an expectation they will be found guilty.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I reckon punishment will likely be suspended til next season. It'd be just the luck of us clubs in the relegation scrap for it to be kept difficult this season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I reckon punishment will likely be suspended til next season. It'd be just the luck of us clubs in the relegation scrap for it to be kept difficult this season. 
    I don’t think so. Burnley and other clubs have threatened legal action if not concluded this season and I think it highly unlikely that legal action would not be taken if the punishment were not applied to this season.

If there is a fudge it will be on the punishment. 

The Covid effect will no doubt have heightened financial implications which may make clubs and the EFL see clubs taking the mick as unacceptable and may want a deterrent out there. Fingers crossed that they are treated fairly and have at least a 12 point deduction.
  • Options
    I hope you're right!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I hope you're right!
    He's not as "Burnley" are not threatening legal action. 
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday fans seem to think that there club is guilty and would prefer to get it all done and dusted once and for all and get on with watching football. (I know how they feel). Some are hoping that they can appeal the decision and get the points deduction next year. 

Not surprisingly they are not thinking how unfair that would be to the club that might go down instead of them.

They are not considering the possibility that an appeal could be heard quite quickly and that the points could then be deducted without any chance of saving themselves.

Feel sorry for any club with stupid owners as it will be fans that suffer. But if the EFL let this go, clubs will be able to ignore the rules at will. Why the EFL have let this drag on is ridiculous. Helps no one.
  • Options
    Owlstalk are suggesting that out of all documents submitted today some of Wednesdays were deemed inadmissible, due to time constraints.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Owlstalk are suggesting that out of all documents submitted today some of Wednesdays were deemed inadmissible, due to time constraints.
    Q argument that we have suffered with this hanging over us for so long we deserve mitigation and we promise not to sell our ground again as we can’t.
  • Options
    As usual i think we got it wrong again der!

Minus ground and training ground and looking for some twerp to amble along to pay 55m to get em back.

Sorry just wanted to use the word twerp!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Can't help thinking that, with Charlton under investigation, this is a case of "be careful what you wish for".

Oh for the days that all football matters could be decided on the pitch and financial madness was not such a feature.
    I think there is a huge gulf between not sending forms in and outright cheating.
    This.

The Company that bought Hillsborough weren't even registered at Companies House until the year after Wednesday put the sale receipts into their accounts.
  • Options
    Just the notion of selling something you own (like a football groud) to yourself is just fraud. No reason for it than to try to get round ffp rules. Anything else than a very stiff penalty (ie, 12 points or automatic relegation) means that there us no deterrent.
  • Options
    Wednesday have released half thier squad as of the end of the month! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Because that know they will be playing league 1 football??? 
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

But they won't be playing League 1 football.
    We all know that the EFL will announce the points deduction at the end of the season - if the massives are 12 points clear of relegation the points deduction will be 11 points.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Stewart said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

We all know that the EFL will announce the points deduction at the end of the season - if the massives are 12 points clear of relegation the points deduction will be 11 points.

My Wednesday supporting friend (yes yes I know) who works in the legal profession thinks they are going to get absolutely hammered by the efl. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    Stewart said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

My Wednesday supporting friend (yes yes I know) who works in the legal profession thinks they are going to get absolutely hammered by the efl. 

I think I said on here after our home game against them that Wednesday fans on the train back to London Bridge were telling me they were expecting a hammering - 26 points they reckoned.
    I really can't see it happening.
  • Options
    Morgan Fox one of the players leaving at the end of June. I wonder if he and Solly are still in touch...
  • Options
    I know it's the EFL we are talking about here but you have to think they must already have a punishment lined up regardless. 

But with those players who are refusing to renew even for the short term. They must know something as they are pretty much safe with a few more points.