Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley threatening EFL ahead of Disciplinary action for Wednesday, Derby & Birmingham

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I would be surprised if this was the case. The EFL won't give a points deduction and carry the balance over. When has that ever happened? They could automatically relegate 2 divisions if they felt that was appropriate. I suspect the issue would be more to do with the precedent caused by only giving Brum a 9 point deduction last season. Brum fully co-operated at the time, but then didn't do what they promisedin the January window. I think the EFL want to punish Wednesday harder for not taking the punishment on the chin, as an example, but they have created their own mess through inconsistent punishments.
    20 points for the "fraudulent accounting" plus 12 points for the original FFP breach that the "accounting" avoided?

If the 1st doesn't relegate you, the second one will! 
    That'd be the biggest deduction ever.

How does what Wednesday have done compare to Luton when they were deducted 30 points? 
    It doesn’t 
    EFL savagely fucked over Luton’s then new owners, Nick Owen among them, chiefly for the sins of previous regime. Luton Town won the paint pot trophy the same season EFL’s victimisation relegated them to the conference. Classic case of shithouse cowardly bullying of a defenceless victim. EFL subsequently tuned up the OADT which has gone well 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    ross1 said:
    I do not like seeing clubs in financial problems, and do not know how many points Wigan will be penalised, 8, 10 or 12, which will help our position, providing it is this season, but I hope they get it sorted out and can carry on playing.

Just noticed a Wigan thread so will add it over there
    Administration carries a penalty of 12 points deduction.

If applied immediately, Wigan would now be bottom with 38 points ....... 4 points behind safety with 6 games to play.
    On current form, they would have every chance of safety.

But the double whammy is that should they escape relegation, they start next season in the Championship on minus 12 points.

No. There are 3 alternatives

1) they finish 12 points or better above the bottom 3, get the deduction and stay up
    2) they finish less than 12 points above the bottom 3, get the deduction and go down to L1
    3) they finish in the bottom 3 before any deduction, and start next season in L1 on -12

Fair enough, Killer - thanks for making that clear.

One thing I've never understood ..... a 12 point deduction, that doesn't relegate the guilty team (or deny a club promotion), is no penalty at all.

What point is there in giving out a penalty that effectively doesn't punish a club?

It's still a punishment though. Give Forest a 12 point deduction and they could miss the playoffs. They could have made it stricter I suppose - automatic relegation OR a 12 point deduction if you would have been relegated anyway, but that might be considered too harsh

The difference between Wednesday and Wigan is that the former is a unique situation where the rule book doesn't say what the punishment is, whereas for administration the 12 point deduction is the set punishment
    The penalty for breaching the £39M 3 year aggregate losses IS written down. 
  • Options
    Brum folded like a pack of cards at home to Terriers. Millwall of the midlands indeed wankers all
  • Options
    https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-efl-case-punishment-18553208

they reckon the EFL are poised to make a ruling... well, probably but who knows. 
  • Options
    Will the efl bottle it and make any points issue carry over to next season? I have a feeling they might but several teams won't be happy. 
  • Options
    Wish it were otherwise, but I just cannot see the EFL relegating a club the size of Wednesday; they would not have the nerve. I expect a deduction to be found that will be seen as significant, but not be enough to actually do anything.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Wish it were otherwise, but I just cannot see the EFL relegating a club the size of Wednesday; they would not have the nerve. I expect a deduction to be found that will be seen as significant, but not be enough to actually do anything.
    Wednesday win tonight | Hull lose tonight and they're 10-pts from the relegation zone

Perfect time to give them a 9 point deduction (mirrors what Birmingham got), doesnt relegate them does it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Wednesday are found guilty the minimum punishment would have to be whatever they would have been punished for the FFP breach plus additional sanctions for deliberately trying to cover it up. 

The penalty for the latter should be greater than the FFP penalty. 
  • Options
    Don't forget, this is being heard by a three man independent panel. They will decide the punishment which will be based on the EFLs own scale of punishment for misdemeanours.

I think they'll be lucky to get away with a 12 point penalty. If they're given 21 point deduction or automatically relegated, it could be the saving grace for Wigan.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    If they don’t want to automatically relegate them, the answer is easy, you set a precedent that any cheating of this form gets a hefty points deduction which will effectively relegate Wednesday this season without actually relegating them automatically.

Anything more than an -16 is a fairer deduction and will put them on the verge of relegation.

It will help deter clubs from doing this kind of thing in future if there is to be a significant points deduction.

Fail to do this, and they’re setting a very dangerous precedent going forward where more and more clubs will decide they can deliberately cheat and know they can get away with it.
    I have a feeling they’ll get away with a small enough deduction that keeps them away from the bottom 3. 

Also, there’s already a precedent where clubs can deliberately cheat and get away with it. We’ve seen many clubs get promoted from crossing ffp by a mile, and they never get punished. But I know what you mean, that if they get away with it, more teams will try this selling of ground to themselves idea. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    If they don’t want to automatically relegate them, the answer is easy, you set a precedent that any cheating of this form gets a hefty points deduction which will effectively relegate Wednesday this season without actually relegating them automatically.

Anything more than an -16 is a fairer deduction and will put them on the verge of relegation.

It will help deter clubs from doing this kind of thing in future if there is to be a significant points deduction.

Fail to do this, and they’re setting a very dangerous precedent going forward where more and more clubs will decide they can deliberately cheat and know they can get away with it.
    I have a feeling they’ll get away with a small enough deduction that keeps them away from the bottom 3. 

Also, there’s already a precedent where clubs can deliberately cheat and get away with it. We’ve seen many clubs get promoted from crossing ffp by a mile, and they never get punished. But I know what you mean, that if they get away with it, more teams will try this selling of ground to themselves idea. 
    The EFL effectively see a club as part of the Premier League the moment they win promotion so act in a way as though the club is already under a different governing body
  • Options
    Sage said:

The EFL effectively see a club as part of the Premier League the moment they win promotion so act in a way as though the club is already under a different governing body
    Yup agreed, it’s not right though. Apart from QPR I cant think of another team that’s been punished upon relegation back to championship either. Presumably Villa are in trouble if they get relegated as they spent 175% of turnover last season on wages alone. 
  • Options
    Sage said:

Yup agreed, it’s not right though. Apart from QPR I cant think of another team that’s been punished upon relegation back to championship either. Presumably Villa are in trouble if they get relegated as they spent 175% of turnover last season on wages alone. 
    Isnt that how QPR got in trouble with the EFL and got the transfer embargo etc.?

E.g. Because they came back down they effectively became under the EFL's control again who remembered the rules they'd broken?
  • Options
    Massive jokes aside, Wednesday are hardly one of the giants of the Championship, it's 20 years since they were last in the PL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:

Isnt that how QPR got in trouble with the EFL and got the transfer embargo etc.?

E.g. Because they came back down they effectively became under the EFL's control again who remembered the rules they'd broken?
    Yes it was exactly that, and more teams should have this happen to them on relegation. Issue is that some who have breached ffp have ended up staying in premier league, so they get away with cheating. 
  • Options
    Massive jokes aside, Wednesday are hardly one of the giants of the Championship, it's 20 years since they were last in the PL
    Not giants they are massive 
  • Options
    Sage said:

Bournemouth will also be in trouble if they get relegated.
  • Options
    Remember the EFL where quite happy to ensure both Leeds and Southampton were in league 1 for a minimum of 2 seasons.  
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Sage said:

Bournemouth will also be in trouble if they get relegated.
    One would hope so. 15 point deduction and welcome back card.
  • Options
    Sorry for being lazy 

are Wednesday in trouble for putting money in to the club ?

have they laden the club with more debt ?

to me if owners want to burn cash on their own club without putting said club in to debt then I think they should be allowed to 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Sorry for being lazy 

are Wednesday in trouble for putting money in to the club ?

have they laden the club with more debt ?

to me if owners want to burn cash on their own club without putting said club in to debt then I think they should be allowed to 
    Owner sold their ground to himself for a figure (60m).

Then put the figure into the 17-18 accounting year, when the ground was sold a year later. This obviously just so happened to be the year they overspent and would've been in trouble with FFP. It meant they made a 2.5m pre-tax profit that year instead of a 50m+ loss.

Pretty blatant financial misconduct. I'd love to know how they're even arguing this case and why it's dragging on so long.
  • Options
    So did the owner cover the loss with his moody accounting or just cook the books and load them up with more debt ..
    obviously they’ve broken current rules and should be punished but to me if it’s mad stupidity of an owner gifting a club dough then it should be allowed , the racking up of debt is a no no
  • Options
    Needless to say that after last nights defeat, Owlstalk are a bit negative. This post made me laugh:

We'll be deducted 9 points, or 12, or whatever.

Instantaneously, there'll be a statement on the club website decrying how ridiculous the decision is.

We've put in an appeal.

End up getting relegated.

Appeal drags on. Fixtures for new season come out.

Appeal rejected.

Appeal to Court of Arbitration for Sport. No players signing because we don't know what division we're in.

Appeal rejected.

Appeal to Court for Human Rights and so on and blah blah blah.

Appeal rejected.

Teetering on the brink of League 2 before accepting we've fucked up.

True though. The same with Wigan, they need to accept it or the above could become reality