Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Queens Park Rangers | Sat 27 Jun | 12:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Queens Park Rangers
Saturday 27th June 2020 ... 12:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tim Robinson (West Sussex) - Prev Games: Brentford (H) | Sheff Wed (H)

Introduction
Football returns to SE7 this weekend for the first time since March, it was a weekend that saw the Addicks dropping into the relegation zone following a 1-0 defeat against Middlesbrough and would leave fans in limbo for three months wondering if we'd ever get the opportunity to rectify proceedings. Well last Saturday was just that, it was a chance to show that ideas like PPG were nothing short of a farce and in true Charlton style proved it with a rare impressive display that hasn't been seen too often in 2020 - This Saturday will see Queens Park Rangers making the short hop across from West London, its an opportunity to open a gap between us and the relegation zone, especially with challenging battles on the horizon!!

The Opposition
Name: Queens Park Rangers (13th) | Manager: Mark Warburton
Previous Result: Queens Park Rangers 2-2 Charlton Athletic

The timing of our first two fixtures in this mini season has a touch of irony about them, both reverse fixtures would end 2-2 and on each occasion and last minute equaliser would be achieved - For Charlton in December it wasnt an ideal performance in West London, the hosts would lead twice and it would need Naby Sarr to pop up in the opposing box to steal a point for the travelling side.

Queens Park Rangers in terms of Championship sides are one that you'd seriously expect to see in mid-table - They of course had the period when they thought they'd be the next Manchester City with their Formula One takeover yet various Financial Fair Play infringements have resulted in transfer penalties. As a result its potentially allowed the likes of Eberechi Eze a chance to shine from the youth team, this will surely be his last spell in West London with larger clubs constantly keeping tabs on the exciting forward, should he play on Saturday then he'll certainly offer our Centre-Backs a much sterner test than the one they faced in Yorkshire last week!!

Yet being stuck in mid-table creates a bit of a dilemma for our opponents this Saturday; QPR are in a bit of a position where they're not going to challenge for the Play-Offs and on fifty points are surely safe from relegation so just how easy is it for Warburton to motivate his players when there is all but nothing to play for? - Well by the sounds of things their performance against Barnsley was less than impressive last time out, as Charlton fans we'll be hoping that lightning does strike twice, we just have to hope it wasn't rustiness that was the cause of their previous result.

Charlton Team News
Well it certainly makes you smile doesn't it... At 2pm last weekend social media was once again awash with fan concern over Lee Bowyer's team selection, midway through the first half and those concerns were all but forgotten - Deji Oshilaja at Left-Back was the biggest brow raiser yet post match it was confirmed by Bowyer that it was a tactical selection all along and a clear sign of the indepth analysis that goes into the preparation for any match.

Naturally the issues that the Management team faced last week was the fact that they had no recent Hull games to analyse yet this weekend will be different with the squad able to watch back and find any weaknesses found in the Rangers performance against Barnsley, as a result it makes fan line ups that little bit harder to predict. In terms of actual selection and you have to question if there is a need to change it that much, at we may see a natural Left-Back returning to the team (Ben Purrington and Alfie Doughty contesting that spot), elsewhere and you have to argue that Albie Morgan surely deserves another starting berth after his own impressive performance against Hull; Jason Pearce though could be absent should his wife go into labour

Phillips
Matthews | Lockyer | Sarr | Doughty
Morgan | Cullen | Pratley | McGeady
Hemed | Bonne

Substitutes Bench:
Amos | Purrington | Pearce | Oztumer | Oshilaja | Williams | Aneke | Davison | Field

Prediction
Its so easy to get carried away isnt it... A third win this calendar year (our first on the road since Nottingham Forest) and suddenly its easy to forget the fact that we remain just a point above the relegation zone, thankfully our goal difference virtually makes it two points but it means we cant rest on our achievements - Its also important that we dont throw away all the hard work from the Hull victory, yet whilst the Valley has become a small fortress under Bowyer it'll be interesting to see what happens with no fans, after all results since the restart have all but wiped out home advantage!!

Comments

• Thanks again, @ForeverAddickted

I do worry about their threatening pace. Our defence seems to always struggle with pacey wingers/forwards. Can see Purrington in at LB for this game.

I'm going for a draw in this one. This relegation battle will not be an easy ride, that's for sure.

• The QPR Chief Exec was and almost certainly still is vehemently opposed to the restart - whether that rubs off on the players or not is another question, but it won't help that's for sure. The loss against Barnsley pretty much puts paid to any outside chance they had of a playoff so it appears their season is to all intents and purposes over.

Another 1-0 to the mighty Addicks.
  • bobmunro said:
    The QPR Chief Exec was and almost certainly still is vehemently opposed to the restart - whether that rubs off on the players or not is another question, but it won't help that's for sure. The loss against Barnsley pretty much puts paid to any outside chance they had of a playoff so it appears their season is to all intents and purposes over.

Completely forgot that QPR were one of the sides that were opposed to the restart

Bit strange really seeing by completing the season they shouldnt really suffer in terms of position unless he's bemoaning the lost ticket revenue?

Must remember that Grant Hall (Captain) and Marc Pugh are absent as both have refused to play, the latter is a bonus as he's a very good player
  • This match is so, so important. The result could change absolutely everything. If we win then we're looking good, look like we're having the usual good start under Bowyer and we're doing as well as we possibly can in getting our points target. If the teams around us also lose then we're also creating daylight. Confidence will flow and we'll be feeling good.
    Losing though, that's a real difference-maker. We'll be less confident and suddenly our great win against Hull will look less like a great start and a bit more like we just barely beat the worst team going 1-0. I think we need another 10 points to be sure, and getting knocked down by QPR ahead of games against promotion-chasing Cardiff and bloody Millwall could see us looking at needing to take a lot from some difficult remaining games. That's a lot of negativity to take from one loss, but when you're staring at relegation in a small 9 game season these things can get into the players' heads. Assuming we turn up, the question becomes what QPR are feeling like. They're somewhere in the middle; unlikely to go up or down so you would imagine they aren't too bothered. They definitely seemed that way against Barnsley, but maybe that result stung them and now they'll wake up in time to play us. I hope they've just lost interest.
    I'm going with a draw, just to make everything I've typed pointless. More pointless. God I'd love a win though. Getting 6 points out of the way of the 13 overall we need in two games would be wonderful
  • I can not see past a narrow loss. 0-1 or 1-2. It's important one of Hemed, Davison, Bonne or Aneke score. 

I'd go with the the old 41212 

Phillips 
    Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce| Oshilaja
    Pratley
    Field | Cullen
    Williams 
    Bonne | Hemed
    I think that's our best chance of points. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I can not see past a narrow loss. 0-1 or 1-2. It's important one of Hemed, Davison, Bonne or Aneke score. 

Phillips 
    Pratley
    Field | Cullen
    Williams 
    Bonne | Hemed
    Why would you drop Albie?
  • A win on Saturday, following the win at Hull, would be  a great confidence boost for the remaining games. 2-1 Charlton
  • edited June 2020
    I can't see Oshilaja playing LB, that was just for a specific game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Another good preview FA , Lapslie , must make the bench now after the birth of his daughter earlier in the week. Another 1 -0 to us, Hemed to get off the mark.
  • Another good preview FA , Lapslie , must make the bench now after the birth of his daughter earlier in the week. Another 1 -0 to us, Hemed to get off the mark.
    Cheers I did think of Lapslie, wont be surprised to see him come on to the bench in place of Davison
  • ‘Pearce may be missing if his wife goes into labour’ ??
    I wouldn’t miss this game if my wife went into labour ffs. 

A hard fought 1-0 win with a rare Darren Pratley goal. 
  • edited June 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    I can not see past a narrow loss. 0-1 or 1-2. It's important one of Hemed, Davison, Bonne or Aneke score. 

Phillips 
    Pratley
    Field | Cullen
    Williams 
    Bonne | Hemed
    Why would you drop Albie?
    I love like Albie, but not sure where he'd fit, maybe in place of Williams?

I also think we need more of the older heads on the pitch for a better side. 
  • Great preview as usual FA. 
    With a couple of tough games to follow I see this as another must win game. 
    2.0 to the mighty Addicks 
    A Hemed brace. 
  • bobmunro said:
    The QPR Chief Exec was and almost certainly still is vehemently opposed to the restart - whether that rubs off on the players or not is another question, but it won't help that's for sure. The loss against Barnsley pretty much puts paid to any outside chance they had of a playoff so it appears their season is to all intents and purposes over.

Completely forgot that QPR were one of the sides that were opposed to the restart

Bit strange really seeing by completing the season they shouldnt really suffer in terms of position unless he's bemoaning the lost ticket revenue?

Must remember that Grant Hall (Captain) and Marc Pugh are absent as both have refused to play, the latter is a bonus as he's a very good player
    Both pretty regular starters, so definitely a bonus.

My team:
    .................Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Morgan Cullen Pratley Williams 
    ............Hemed Green

Could also see it being a 4-2-3-1 at times with Green pulling out wide, as Bonne did at times against Hull. Could also see McGeady keeping his place for Williams or Bonne, the former leading to a 4-2-3-1 from the off.

Bench: Amos, Pearce, Oshilaja, Doughty, Field, JFC, McGeady, Aneke, Bonne
  • Can't see us scoring more than one and that will be a struggle. Even our best players (Cullen, Williams, Morgan) rarely score. Can't keep relying on our defenders to nick goals. 

Can't see them scoring less than one and there is no real home advantage in an empty stadium.

0.1 or 0.2.

Depression and gloom descends as rivals pick up points.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we will win

My boss is a Rangers season ticket holder and he watched their match last w/e online - said they were dreadful and looked demotivated and uninterested

Our performance last w/e (ok Hull were shit) was good considering the circumstances - we looked much better in defence compared to pre-lockdown

I’m going 2-0 to Charlton with usual squeaky bum time in final 10 minutes as we drop back and then ref adds on the usual 5 or 6 minutes added time which nobody can work out where he got that from
  • I'm going for a 1-0 or 2-1 win. Remember back to how good we were with a full squad at the beginning of the season, before we were hit by injuries galore. With most of the team back to fitness after the Covid break, obviously excepting Taylor and Conor Gallagher from that period, I think we have more than enough talent and teamwork to forge away form relegation zone
  • Predicting a draw. QPR are a better side than hull but don't have much to play for. we should be winning these games in a relegation battle but I think it will be a draw.
  • Bowyer should and will change it accordingly. It’s the first of 3 games in 6 days, so he’s not gonna play the same team for all 3 of them and will base who he plays depending on the opponent like he played Oshilaja at left back due to Hull’s right winger only being able to cut in last Saturday. If QPR's right winger likes to get down the line and cross it in then no doubt Purrington will be back playing at left back.

Despite the three traitors, we have a fair amount of options now so need to make the most of them. I don't know enough about QPR, Cardiff and Millwall's teams to know what changes to make for each game but Bowyer would have done his homework over lockdown and would have prepared his lineup for each of the three games according to the opponent. 90% of the time he makes questionable decisions like playing Osh at left back he gets it right so whatever team Lee goes with I'll agree with.

• Think this is a key game for us, I reckon 3 more wins will be enough and this game is one of the more winnable on paper 
  • Fancy 2-1 Charlton here
  • Cant argue with forevers team or keeping with the same. 
  • Can't see us scoring more than one and that will be a struggle. Even our best players (Cullen, Williams, Morgan) rarely score. Can't keep relying on our defenders to nick goals. 

Can't see them scoring less than one and there is no real home advantage in an empty stadium.

0.1 or 0.2.

Depression and gloom descends as rivals pick up points.
    Neither Williams or Morgan have scored for us have they?

I know Cullen has a PK and one against Gills.