Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overseas travel during Covid-19 pandemic this summer?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Went out to Rhodes last week for a 5 day break. Have to say it was great. Gatwick eerily quiet (and if you're travelling from Gatwick be aware that currently Wetherspoons is the food place open, so join the queue quick if you want to eat). Flight out was full, but everybody wore their masks throughout.

We arrived on the 2nd of August, hotel had only reopened on July 31st, so we very quiet. Got busier each day, but not packed by any stretch of the imagination. Staff couldn't have been nicer and only real differences to a normal trip were they served you from the buffet and you could see them regularly disinfecting tables, chairs, etc.

Flight back wasn't as full, had an empty seat next to us, as did a lot of couples. And by pure luck a mate of mine I haven't seen in years as the pilot, so got to reconnect (figuratively, social distancing and all that) with him.

If anybody is going to Rhodes, I highly recommend Vallian Village, really lovely family run hotel. Only thing I'd caution though is you have to like planes as the hotel is litterally at the end of the runway. 
  • Options
    Very similar to me Killarhales. Lads' cycling trip along the Loire mid-September (postponed from June). Just hoping it can go ahead, not fair on the family for me to go and them to have to quarantine afterwards.
  • Options
    Going to Crete next week for 10 days. Greece have just announced bars in the main holiday spots need to close at midnight. Previously this would have been a disaster but I’m an old man now and it’s not such a big deal, hope it isn’t the start of additional restrictions. 
  • Options
    Off to France on Saturday for 2 weeks of isolation over there in the middle of nowhere. I need this break just hope we don’t have to quarantine afterwards otherwise it will cause my kids to miss 2 more weeks of school
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Going to Crete next week for 10 days. Greece have just announced bars in the main holiday spots need to close at midnight. Previously this would have been a disaster but I’m an old man now and it’s not such a big deal, hope it isn’t the start of additional restrictions. 
    Just start at lunchtime...
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Just start at lunchtime...
    Mate these days I can start at 7pm and be done before midnight! 
  • Options
    Went out to Rhodes last week for a 5 day break. Have to say it was great. Gatwick eerily quiet (and if you're travelling from Gatwick be aware that currently Wetherspoons is the food place open, so join the queue quick if you want to eat). Flight out was full, but everybody wore their masks throughout.

We arrived on the 2nd of August, hotel had only reopened on July 31st, so we very quiet. Got busier each day, but not packed by any stretch of the imagination. Staff couldn't have been nicer and only real differences to a normal trip were they served you from the buffet and you could see them regularly disinfecting tables, chairs, etc.

Flight back wasn't as full, had an empty seat next to us, as did a lot of couples. And by pure luck a mate of mine I haven't seen in years as the pilot, so got to reconnect (figuratively, social distancing and all that) with him.

If anybody is going to Rhodes, I highly recommend Vallian Village, really lovely family run hotel. Only thing I'd caution though is you have to like planes as the hotel is litterally at the end of the runway. 
    I'm flying to Rhodes on Saturday for 10 nights and find your post quite reassuring. 
    Glad you had a good time 
  • Options

I'm flying to Rhodes on Saturday for 10 nights and find your post quite reassuring. 
    Glad you had a good time 
    Thought you had booked for Tenerife !

Hope you have a great break.
  • Options

Glad you had a good time 

I booked for Tenerife and Majorca. 
    Both holidays we're cancelled. 
    Hopefully third time lucky. 

Looking forward to seeing you in the not to distant future. Xx
  • Options

Glad you had a good time 

You have a nice one mate.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

Glad you had a good time 

You have a nice one mate.

Cheers Chris. 
  • Options
    Had a Mexico holiday booked for late May (between the end of the domestic season and Euro 2020)

Not bothering with booking anything else, at the moment it doesn't feel worth the stress

May do a quick last minute Eurostar trip in September if things have settled down, otherwise grounded
  • Options

Glad you had a good time 
    Thanks. Hope you have a great time too.
  • Options
    There are some ridiculously cheap holidays abroad at the moment. Live a little. Go for it.
    You will never get the chance of a break in the kids 6 weeks holiday at these prices again.
  • Options

Bit random but was pilots initials LH ? 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Off to France on Saturday for 2 weeks of isolation over there in the middle of nowhere. I need this break just hope we don’t have to quarantine afterwards otherwise it will cause my kids to miss 2 more weeks of school
    Are you still going then???? We are not now, due to the increase of cases and hospitalisations. Risk the FCO TA will change and travel insurance not valid amongst other things. And we don't have kids missing another 2 weeks of school
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Bit random but was pilots initials LH ? 
    No, DS, we used to call him Mad Dave when we were younger, thankfully he's calmed down lol
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Are you still going then???? We are not now, due to the increase of cases and hospitalisations. Risk the FCO TA will change and travel insurance not valid amongst other things. And we don't have kids missing another 2 weeks of school
    Just returned from 3 weeks in the South of France. No problems at all.
    Masks worn in shops. Reasonable social distancing on the beach. Didn't go to bars or restaurants, just had bbqs at the property or cooked.
    Really glad we went. Missed out on another planned holiday, due to include the French Grand Prix, weeks earlier, so really needed this one.
    Due to go to Murcia in late October. Hoping it goes ahead but could go either way between now and then. 
  • Options
    I’m off to France in a couple of weeks time (some you win and some you Toulouse). Might head over to Spain for a few days  if the border is open. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Solidgone said:
    I’m off to France in a couple of weeks time (some you win and some you Toulouse). Might head over to Spain for a few days  if the border is open. 
    It seems France is still not a cert, unfortunately

Edit might be ok for France after all, despite the number of cases increasing :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fuck this Panpanic and its hysteria. Im going to France in two weeks - assuming the nanny state will allow it - and will celebrate life with the peoples of Bergerac.
    Vive la Révolution!
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Fuck this Panpanic and its hysteria. Im going to France in two weeks - assuming the nanny state will allow it - and will celebrate life with the peoples of Bergerac.
    Vive la Révolution!
    I can't speak for other parts of the government and the covid response etc, but the FCO don't change any Travel Advice lightly as it has all sorts of complicated diplomatic repercussions and implications
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Redskin said:
    Vive la Révolution!
    I can't speak for other parts of the government and the covid response etc, but the FCO don't change any Travel Advice lightly as it has all sorts of complicated diplomatic repercussions and implications
    Right, so it's yet more politicisation of a situation that's initial respose was to Follow the Science.
    The FCO is just another governmental rabbit caught in the media headlights making panicked decisions to save their own careers.
    Those who are scared to go abroad, or go to the supermarket, send their children to school, or leave their home, fine, but don't get all judgemental - not aimed at you, PF - about those mask-wearing, social distancing people who are getting on with living.

• Options
    Redskin said:
    Redskin said:
    Vive la Révolution!
    Right, so it's yet more politicisation of a situation that's initial respose was to Follow the Science.
    The FCO is just another governmental rabbit caught in the media headlights making panicked decisions to save their own careers.
    Those who are scared to go abroad, or go to the supermarket, send their children to school, or leave their home, fine, but don't get all judgemental - not aimed at you, PF - about those mask-wearing, social distancing people who are getting on with living.

Any changes made to TA are made after a lot of consideration and discussion with numerous people; even in a crisis, a lot of work goes into it.

I am really hoping to get a holiday overseas soon. But mindful the Travel Advice could change at any moment and at short notice. And chose not to go to France after all. But France may be ok. May be. With everything going on at the moment, personally, I can forgo a holiday for a while longer (helped by the summer weather here).
  • Options
    BA just cancelled our flights to Ibiza at the end of August, so our all inclusive week holiday has been cancelled as well. Least we get a full cash refund.

• Options
    Just arrived in Hungary. Very strange flight with less than thirty people on it - felt very odd!
  • Options

Holidaymakers Returning From France Will Have To Quarantine For 14 Days, Government Announces

The Netherlands, Monaco, Malta, Turks & Caicos and Aruba have also been added to the quarantine list from 4am on Saturday

• Options

Holidaymakers Returning From France Will Have To Quarantine For 14 Days, Government Announces

The Netherlands, Monaco, Malta, Turks & Caicos and Aruba have also been added to the quarantine list from 4am on Saturday

Not decided what we are going to do. May now just go for a week as that means the kids only miss 2/3 days as opposed to 2 weeks.

fuck you covid 
  • Options
    Let’s be honest - how many people are going to actually quarantine coming back from all these places?

• Options
    My flight to Greece from gatwick was very busy. About 2 or 3 spare seats on the flight. When getting off the plane, you couldn't move out of your seat until the row in front of you was making their way to the exit.

Still got the usual nobheads jumping up to get their hand luggage the minute we touched down despite all the announcements.