Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overseas travel during Covid-19 pandemic this summer?

Comments

• Options
    msomerton said:
    People who call for regional quarantine instead of national, have not addressed the issue of people who lie. You could book a flight to region a and back, but actually you then travel to region b  which is under quarantine. Whole country solutions the only way, or no quarantine at all.
    Exactly. At lot of the decisions take into account a proportion of people not telling the truth, not acting according to the guidance etc. I am not qualified to determine the effectiveness of wearing a mask in shops and on public transport, in the same way as those who refuse to are probably not to qualified to either. But is hardly a sacrifice for me to wear one, even in the heat as it might make a difference and what we have been asked to do. There is an obvious correlation in the people I have see not wearing a mask where they are supposed to. That said, nationwide may be different as my experience is limited in the scheme of things.
  • Options
    Interesting that none of the towns (as far as I'm aware) which have had mini lockdowns in the UK are tourist destinations.

So far, we haven't seen major spikes as a result of crowded beaches

Not sure your point.

This will be because the reasons for the spikes in those destinations are due to other factors. I suspect the lack of spikes from crowded beaches is because it is an outdoor activity and people travel there by car - this does not mean it is safe to travel overseas
  • Options
    And who checks if people are quarantined ? 

I wouldn’t quarantine if I was coming back from France. I would be careful but wouldn’t be locked up for 14 days 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    And who checks if people are quarantined ? 

I wouldn’t quarantine if I was coming back from France. I would be careful but wouldn’t be locked up for 14 days 
    I don't think that many would quarantine properly. But interesting to see how many have rushed back early etc to avoid it
  • Options
    Rushed back as their workplace probably know where they have been so will only get statutory sick pay for the time off in quarantine 
  • Options
    It's very different in Hungary where I am now to Spain in terms of restrictions and it's been very strange adapting again to not having to wear masks in the street. They put Spain in a new restrictions group (same as UK) just before we flew out so ended up having to have two more Covid tests in the preceding days with 48 hour difference between them and show the certificates, translated into Hungarian on arrival at the airport and maybe show them when moving around the country. Seems like they really acted quickly in March to close the border and again are very strict on entrances, meaning that here in daily life it weirdly feels like the pre Covid age again. Very surreal but fascinating to see a different way of doing things. Here for six weeks so hopefully by the time we are due to go back they haven't shut the borders again.
  • Options
    It's very different in Hungary where I am now to Spain in terms of restrictions and it's been very strange adapting again to not having to wear masks in the street. They put Spain in a new restrictions group (same as UK) just before we flew out so ended up having to have two more Covid tests in the preceding days with 48 hour difference between them and show the certificates, translated into Hungarian on arrival at the airport and maybe show them when moving around the country. Seems like they really acted quickly in March to close the border and again are very strict on entrances, meaning that here in daily life it weirdly feels like the pre Covid age again. Very surreal but fascinating to see a different way of doing things. Here for six weeks so hopefully by the time we are due to go back they haven't shut the borders again.
    The UK would have benefited from closing borders
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    msomerton said:
    People who call for regional quarantine instead of national, have not addressed the issue of people who lie. You could book a flight to region a and back, but actually you then travel to region b  which is under quarantine. Whole country solutions the only way, or no quarantine at all.
    That's a complete red herring and an irrelevance. The quarantine orders aren't in place at a national level in case people lie. The quarantines are in place because Covid19 infection rates are recorded as increasing on a national level. However, those increases are not national, they are regional. Why were The Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands, which both have levels below that which are deemed an issue, included in the quarantine imposition on returnees from Spain?

Applying quarantine to whole countries is a nonsense, scientifically and economically.
  • Options
    Well, that’s our French vineyard holiday in September up the swanee! Going to look at what’s available here in the UK now.
    Don’t hang around, we booked a week in Cornwall from September 5th about a month ago and there was hardly anything left. All the usual hotels and cottage rental companies we use were fully booked.

Other holiday resorts in the UK are reporting being full as well. 

We thought with the kids going back to school in September things would be less busy however it seems the older, child free crowd like us that normally go abroad in September are having a staycation.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    msomerton said:
    That's a complete red herring and an irrelevance. The quarantine orders aren't in place at a national level in case people lie. The quarantines are in place because Covid19 infection rates are recorded as increasing on a national level. However, those increases are not national, they are regional. Why were The Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands, which both have levels below that which are deemed an issue, included in the quarantine imposition on returnees from Spain?

Applying quarantine to whole countries is a nonsense, scientifically and economically.
    But people would just fly into a region that is ok then go elsewhere if that were the case. But I do agree with the Balearic Islands as a separate entity as such
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Last week went down to Dawlish Warren,Devon for the week Saturday to Saturday.

Cost of the holiday camp, food and drink (even with discount mon-fri) and rubbish weather reminded us why we love all inclusive holidays in the sun.

That is why people want to go abroad.

• Options
    I came back from the Canary Islands a couple of weeks ago so have just finished my quarantine, no one checked up on me and no one else I was with checked either. When I arrived in the UK no one checked that I had filled out the required documentation, and the documentation only required me to leave a mobile number. Not saying it's right but they've made it very easy not to quarantine if you don't fancy it.

Re flying into a different region before returning  home, you have to disclose where you've been the past 14 days before arriving in the UK, so unless you can go to another region for a couple of weeks it won't work.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    I came back from the Canary Islands a couple of weeks ago so have just finished my quarantine, no one checked up on me and no one else I was with checked either. When I arrived in the UK no one checked that I had filled out the required documentation, and the documentation only required me to leave a mobile number. Not saying it's right but they've made it very easy not to quarantine if you don't fancy it.

Re flying into a different region before returning  home, you have to disclose where you've been the past 14 days before arriving in the UK, so unless you can go to another region for a couple of weeks it won't work.
    Yes, it isn't enforced, In the same way you could fly into one region and go to another, and not comply. There are more holes than a Sheffield Wednesday defence (and I don't mean on the pitch). Not sure what the answers are but if the TA is changed, you're scuppered. When the french follow suit, you won't be able to go to a supermarket and would have to take absolutely everything with you (so would have to be driving if you did still go). All in all, it is a non starter
  • Options
    Maybe the governement are relying too much on people's honesty and need to nanny them more. Wait for the whingeing if that was to happen
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Last week went down to Dawlish Warren,Devon for the week Saturday to Saturday.

Cost of the holiday camp, food and drink (even with discount mon-fri) and rubbish weather reminded us why we love all inclusive holidays in the sun.

That is why people want to go abroad.

Thats next week, this past week the UK was hotter than the surface of the sun 
  • Options
    Had a lovely two weeks in Greece. Most places are very quite which is good by not having to queue but it’s a shame as they need the business. If you have the ability to go on holiday I would take the opportunity, but can understand why having to quarantine is impossible to take overseas travel.

• Options
    Had a lovely two weeks in Greece. Most places are very quite which is good by not having to queue but it’s a shame as they need the business. If you have the ability to go on holiday I would take the opportunity, but can understand why having to quarantine is impossible to take overseas travel.
    I thought they hadn't had many cases but unfortunately Greece may be next on the quarantine list. Which is a shame, as you say, they need the business, possibly even more than the other countries
  • Options
    I thought they hadn't had many cases but unfortunately Greece may be next on the quarantine list. Which is a shame, as you say, they need the business, possibly even more than the other countries
    Hope not. I'm here now :neutral:
  • Options
    I hope not too but it is possible. Not sure how soon. When are you due back?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope not too but it is possible. Not sure how soon. When are you due back?
    Next friday. If I have to stay in for 2 week I have to stay in. Doesn't really bother me tbh. 
  • Options
    Watching BBC Breakfast this morning and they are making a lot of the epic journeys people are making to 'beat' quarantine rules and almost treating them as heroes. Some of them have driven many hours, so are tired and therefore shouldn't be driving. Once in the UK many may have long onward journeys and pose a risk to other road users,

They are really missing the point that France has a higher rate of infection than the UK and that the quarantine rules have been brought in to protect people in this country. We now have thousands of people, some of whom may already be incubating the virus, who will be free to spread it throughout the community.

If quarantine is needed it should be brought in immediately and people should not be going abroad if quarantine is a problem for them.
    Spot on.

Can't see why they come over in the first place, if having to quarantine on their return was going to be an issue.

My brother and his family were coming over (mum hasn't seen her grandson since Christmas), but that got knocked on the head a couple of weeks back because my brother can't take 2 weeks off, should this announcement had been made and the measures imposed, while they we still here.

• Options
    Watching BBC Breakfast this morning and they are making a lot of the epic journeys people are making to 'beat' quarantine rules and almost treating them as heroes. Some of them have driven many hours, so are tired and therefore shouldn't be driving. Once in the UK many may have long onward journeys and pose a risk to other road users,

They are really missing the point that France has a higher rate of infection than the UK and that the quarantine rules have been brought in to protect people in this country. We now have thousands of people, some of whom may already be incubating the virus, who will be free to spread it throughout the community.

If quarantine is needed it should be brought in immediately and people should not be going abroad if quarantine is a problem for them.
    100% this.
  • Options
    On the other hand.
    If everyone in the country took my view the tourism industry would crash tomorrow.
    I had to wait 4 months for a refund , I've no intentions of spending £1000s to enjoy a so called holiday.
    I'm quite happy not to go on holiday for at least a couple of years.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    On the other hand.
    If everyone in the country took my view the tourism industry would crash tomorrow.
    I had to wait 4 months for a refund , I've no intentions of spending £1000s to enjoy a so called holiday.

There are numerous industries that are suffering and crashing at the moment. Why should the one that enables the virus to be spread from one country to another be one of the first ones to be rushed back into service.

Like you we will not be considering going abroad until all of this is well out the way and trust me we love a foreign holiday so it will be disappointing.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    eaststandmike said:
    clb74 said:
    On the other hand.

There are numerous industries that are suffering and crashing at the moment. Why should the one that enables the virus to be spread from one country to another be one of the first ones to be rushed back into service.

Like you we will not be considering going abroad until all of this is well out the way and trust me we love a foreign holiday so it will be disappointing.
    I would argue every industry is suffering at the moment. For example, Chinese TV are refusing to pay £140m to premier league for their right. Even the Premier league are suffering. 

Whatever industries you work in it will be effected by job losses. Even the NHS will see job losses arise due to the virus. Right or wrong won’t help people pay for their mortgage when they go on Universal Credit. My sister has already lost her job in the tourism industry and a very close friend will be made redundant from Eurostar in upcoming days. 
  • Options
    Currently waiting at Zante airport to come home, never seen a airport so quite, glad we went ahead with our holiday (booked last year) it was gradually getting busier by the day in Kalamaki but not too many Brits there mostly German and Polish, had to wear masks in shops, taxi drivers wasn't bothered if you wore one or not, a few police driving around at midnight to check bars were shutting at 12.
  • Options
    “ UK tourists will no longer need to quarantine after holidaying in Portugal, but travellers returning from Croatia will now have to self-isolate.
    Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said people will need to self-isolate for 14 days on return from Croatia, Austria and Trinidad and Tobago.”
  • Options
    Currently in the south of France (Gers) and I must say the wearing of masks is immaculately observed. Every shop has sanitiser upon entry and all shop staff wearing masks too.

far better than UK to be honest.

glad we came in the end as we are spending quality time together, the weather is amazing and the isolation here is more remote than at home.

• Options
    “ UK tourists will no longer need to quarantine after holidaying in Portugal, but travellers returning from Croatia will now have to self-isolate.
    Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said people will need to self-isolate for 14 days on return from Croatia, Austria and Trinidad and Tobago.”
    Someone I know had been in Austria on holiday and returned (by car) on Monday. Good timing!