Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overseas travel during Covid-19 pandemic this summer?

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Flying to Bodrum this Sunday, unless things change. Weather looks good and not on the quarantine list either.
    That was short lived! Removed from the exempt list as the gov thinks Turkey have been lying about their figures.

If FCO advise changes to 'no non essential travel', does anyone know what that means for refunds? It was a package holiday, paid for on a credit card, so I'm hoping there's some cover somewhere.
    The companies will give you an option for hotel and transfer refunds, if the airline cancel you get this back also, but if the airline and some are, persist in flying you lose that element of your holiday money. 
    Not correct - sorry. if this is booked as a package, then @Croydon is legally entitled to a full refund, which should be paid within 14 days. As its a package, the package provider cannot differentiate between different component elements of the holiday.

That's the legal position. 

Given the circumstances, 14 days may not be achieved, and the holiday provider may offer a Refund Credit Note for future travel (which is as protected as a firm booking) or a credit for future travel at a higher value than the original booking.

There are some travel providers who are acting in the way you describe, but if its a package, a full refund of all elements is (and will eventually) have to be provided.
    Thought that might be the case. Cheers!
    If you dont mind me asking, who did you book with (travel agent and / or Tour operator?) that might influence the response you will get...(not that this will change the legal position).

On the beach. They are claiming that it's not a package, despite paying for it all through the same provider, in one transaction. They've said they can't refund the flights.

I spoke with my insurance and they were adamant that OTB should be offering a full refund.
    OK, slightly more complex for the reasons stated in the attached:-

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/09/love-holidays-follows-on-the-beach-in-quitting-travel-trade-asso/
    Jesus, what a mess. I booked just before they quit ABTA, by the looks of things, so fingers crossed.

I'll just keep at them!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Flying to Bodrum this Sunday, unless things change. Weather looks good and not on the quarantine list either.
    That was short lived! Removed from the exempt list as the gov thinks Turkey have been lying about their figures.

If FCO advise changes to 'no non essential travel', does anyone know what that means for refunds? It was a package holiday, paid for on a credit card, so I'm hoping there's some cover somewhere.
    The companies will give you an option for hotel and transfer refunds, if the airline cancel you get this back also, but if the airline and some are, persist in flying you lose that element of your holiday money. 
    Not correct - sorry. if this is booked as a package, then @Croydon is legally entitled to a full refund, which should be paid within 14 days. As its a package, the package provider cannot differentiate between different component elements of the holiday.

That's the legal position. 

Given the circumstances, 14 days may not be achieved, and the holiday provider may offer a Refund Credit Note for future travel (which is as protected as a firm booking) or a credit for future travel at a higher value than the original booking.

There are some travel providers who are acting in the way you describe, but if its a package, a full refund of all elements is (and will eventually) have to be provided.
    Thought that might be the case. Cheers!
    If you dont mind me asking, who did you book with (travel agent and / or Tour operator?) that might influence the response you will get...(not that this will change the legal position).

On the beach. They are claiming that it's not a package, despite paying for it all through the same provider, in one transaction. They've said they can't refund the flights.

I spoke with my insurance and they were adamant that OTB should be offering a full refund.
    OK, slightly more complex for the reasons stated in the attached:-

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/09/love-holidays-follows-on-the-beach-in-quitting-travel-trade-asso/
    Jesus, what a mess. I booked just before they quit ABTA, by the looks of things, so fingers crossed.

I'll just keep at them!
    Good luck. You should be ok if because of when you booked and what your insurance have said. I think some companies are just trying to make things difficult to put people hoping they can avoid paying some people out.

We booked our holiday as a package, which we don't normally do, as better protected in theory. Ours is with BA Holidays and the fights are a BA flight too. 
  • Options
    Vey impressed with BA. 30 mins to get answered but was advised (accurately) of wait time at start of call. No mucking about, offered full refund first before other options. Will take up to 14 days, but will probably be less. In comparison to Virgin which will take up to 60 days and are giving me replacement vouchers for the ones I used to part pay for the holiday that are valid for 10 months less than the original vouchers! And despite numerous emails back and forth, are so far not budging
  • Options
    Was meant to be in Cape Town for New Years (my birthday) and just been cancelled, absolutely gutted... Anyone got any ideas for somewhere else that doesn't have travel restrictions or an early curfew? Been looking all day and coming up with a blank. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Was meant to be in Cape Town for New Years (my birthday) and just been cancelled, absolutely gutted... Anyone got any ideas for somewhere else that doesn't have travel restrictions or an early curfew? Been looking all day and coming up with a blank. 
    Sorry to hear that. Gutting when you've really looked forward to something.

I fear though that you will be reduced to watching Jools Holland on BBC 2 like the rest of us Old Gits.

Hopefully you will have a decent bottle of something alongside you.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Dubai is about it...if you aren't already doing so, use a good travel agent now moreso than ever.

Also, probably  not worth booking anywhere unless you are available to quarantine for 10 days (or 5 with a test) on your return if the travel advice changes.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Sorry to hear that. Gutting when you've really looked forward to something.

I fear though that you will be reduced to watching Jools Holland on BBC 2 like the rest of us Old Gits.

Hopefully you will have a decent bottle of something alongside you.
    Sorry to hear this. I am wondering why I haven't seen any comments criticising Kay Burley for going to South Africa (suspended on full pay!)
  • Options
    She is above the law....or thinks she is.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    She is above the law....or thinks she is.
    exactly
  • Options
    Right then...back 11 months later. Anybody know the cheapest albeit efficient service for a private PCR test I need to swap my antigen ones for this week?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now need a 2 day PCR test on return, upgraded from Anitgen.

This page is good for boarder information. I was in Cape Town in December 2020!
  • Options
     Is it a 48 hour isolation on return regardless of Vax status?
  • Options
    Need some advice, book flights to newcastle via Gdansk, double jabbed etc... but I'm seeing some conflicting information in regards to PCR testing. 

Can anyone shed any light. Cheers 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I believe it is. For me that will be wfh with no gym. 

Need some advice, book flights to newcastle via Gdansk, double jabbed etc... but I'm seeing some conflicting information in regards to PCR testing. 

You've not mentioned where the flight is from? The fact you will be travelling into the UK from abroad will mean a PCR test is required.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Isolation until you receive the result of your PCR test.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Unless i've read the new rules incorrectly it doesn't mean you have to isolate for 48 hours. It just says you must isolate on arrival until you've got a negative test result and that test can be taken at any time from your arrival until the end of the second day.

So technically if you landed at 7am and took a test that morning and got the results back later that day, you'd then be allowed 'out' well before the 48 hour point.

Happy for someone to correct me if that's wrong. 
  • Options
    That is correct but requires a strict and organised approach, including efficiency of PCR test service.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Croydon said:
    I believe it is. For me that will be wfh with no gym. 

You've not mentioned where the flight is from? The fact you will be travelling into the UK from abroad will mean a PCR test is required.
    Luton-gdansk-newcastle.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    The South African authorities are moaning on the lines of 'we discovered Omicron and now we're penalised (travel bans) for letting the world know about it' .. 
    Yesterday a plane from SA landed in Amsterdam, 61 people on board tested positive for Covid, 13 of whom had the Omicron strain.
    As soon as the new variant was discovered and I mean AS SOON AS, all travel to and from Southern Africa should have been stopped, not a 24/48 hour delay. Anyone 'trapped' abroad ?, tough but the health and safety of the UK population must be the priority and everything possible done to prevent the import of more dangerous viruses
    Israel is banning ALL foreigners from entering the country for 14 days from midnight tonight
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Before I booked a flight to Brasil forJanuary I made sure I have a job to come back to if things go sideways whilst out there, and I'm not coming back home for a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The South African authorities are moaning on the lines of 'we discovered Omicron and now we're penalised (travel bans) for letting the world know about it' .. 
    Yesterday a plane from SA landed in Amsterdam, 61 people on board tested positive for Covid, 13 of whom had the Omicron strain.
    As soon as the new variant was discovered and I mean AS SOON AS, all travel to and from Southern Africa should have been stopped, not a 24/48 hour delay. Anyone 'trapped' abroad ?, tough but the health and safety of the UK population must be the priority and everything possible done to prevent the import of more dangerous viruses
    Israel is banning ALL foreigners from entering the country for 14 days from midnight tonight
    Did they not have pre flight tests for that flight? How can 61 people onboard one plane have Covid, it's crazy. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Did they not have pre flight tests for that flight? How can 61 people onboard one plane have Covid, it's crazy. 
    indeed it is crazy .. I suspect most of the passengers were Dutch and British anxious to get 'to safety' and the SA authorities were pleased to see them go .. also, I doubt that the SA health system is the best organised or funded
  • Options
    r me that will be wfh with no gym. 

Luton-gdansk-newcastle.

Interesting journey path! Was that the cheapest fare or are you picking up some beers along the way?!
  • Options
    Easy to say that if you're not affected but realistically i think it's reasonable that they give people 24-48 hours notice.

Let's say for arguments sake you were on holiday in Spain and a variant was discovered there and Spain closed it's borders with immediate effect for a month. Would you have wanted that 1-2 day window to get home or you'd be happy to spend a month paying for a hotel in Spain and it potentially affecting your job if you can't work remotely?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    r me that will be wfh with no gym. 

Luton-gdansk-newcastle.

Interesting journey path! Was that the cheapest fare or are you picking up some beers along the way?!
    Bit of both 16 quid for the flight. Get into Newcastle 8am Friday morning. And can also utilise the duty free 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Right then...back 11 months later. Anybody know the cheapest albeit efficient service for a private PCR test I need to swap my antigen ones for this week?
    Am in the same situation as due to be arriving  back from São Paulo on Friday.

Eurofins seems to be offering just about the best price but no idea if they would be any good…but possibly not, as I’ve just got a code for the locator form from them without even completing a booking!
  • Options
    Just put in a bogus number RANDOX 12435
    its not being checked. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Am in the same situation as due to be arriving  back from São Paulo on Friday.

Eurofins seems to be offering just about the best price but no idea if they would be any good…but possibly not, as I’ve just got a code for the locator form from them without even completing a booking!
    Used Eurofins drive through at Warrington in September. All went well. Very professional set up.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Wake up! Can You not see what is happening?