Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan financial woes - up for sale again? p40

Comments

• Options
    Whatever we think of the Wigan situation, rules are rules and the EFL aren’t going to NOT impose the points deduction because that would be unlawful and it would get overturned by any club that challenged it.

The game needs a massive restructuring, I think everyone outside of the EFL agrees that but for now, the rules remain and we are essentially 5 points clear of the bottom 3.
    I can’t bring myself to like this post, despite the impeccable logic. Simply because, I dont trust the bastards. And I speak as someone who has been to their office, sat down and looked them in the eye. On that day the head honcho was Shaun Harvey. It seems to me that they have achieved the impossible since he left. They actually got worse.
    Fair enough. A few people sceptical about the EFL imposing the deduction which I get. Have Wigan even suggested they would appeal a points deduction though? To my knowledge they haven’t, so therefore their silence suggests they won’t challenge the deduction, which the EFL have spelt out loud and clear.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Whatever we think of the Wigan situation, rules are rules and the EFL aren’t going to NOT impose the points deduction because that would be unlawful and it would get overturned by any club that challenged it.

The game needs a massive restructuring, I think everyone outside of the EFL agrees that but for now, the rules remain and we are essentially 5 points clear of the bottom 3.
    I can’t bring myself to like this post, despite the impeccable logic. Simply because, I dont trust the bastards. And I speak as someone who has been to their office, sat down and looked them in the eye. On that day the head honcho was Shaun Harvey. It seems to me that they have achieved the impossible since he left. They actually got worse.
    Fair enough. A few people sceptical about the EFL imposing the deduction which I get. Have Wigan even suggested they would appeal a points deduction though? To my knowledge they haven’t, so therefore their silence suggests they won’t challenge the deduction, which the EFL have spelt out loud and clear.
    Their Supporters Group have sent a letter appealing the decision pending an investigation as per BBC North West news last night. It was also reported the former have raised £120k to cover the teams expenses over the coming matches. Thirty parties have shown an interest which in the Administrator's words has been whittled down to five serious potential owners, who have had to sign NDAs, rather than those that just want to examine the books.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    They have a point. Compare cases. The Massives essentially tried a trick to allow them to overspend and break FFP regulations. For me, it's a clear case of spitting st other clubs, and direct relegation would be fine by me. 
    At Charlton we had a couple of spivs who couldn't provide proof of funds and then painfully squabbles in public. We hope they are gone, and a points deduction would hit the new owner while the previous culprits escape Scot free. Charlton received no benefit from them, they emptied the bank and provoked a transfer embargo. The only club who suffered was us.
    Wigan have a well run club, but a very suspect set of circumstances. The problem is the dodgy owner is still there. The EFL waved this through, despite the dodgy loan with its astronomical interest rates, which threaten to strangle the club. The owner needs to be punished, but the ones who are going to be shafted are the players, supporters and workers. The twelve points deduction is too arbitrary, whenbthe EFL themselves helped the situation to arise.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Their Supporters Group have sent a letter appealing the decision pending an investigation as per BBC North West news last night. It was also reported the former have raised £120k to cover the teams expenses over the coming matches. Thirty parties have shown an interest which in the Administrator's words has been whittled down to five serious potential owners, who have had to sign NDAs, rather than those that just want to examine the books.
    I’m not sure a supporters group would have jurisdiction to make a formal appeal. Nixon has just said on twitter that there will be an appeal but an admin penalty has never been overturned.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    One of the Wigan administrators (Paul Stanley) was just on TalkSport getting duly 'interrogated' by S.Jordan.

Well worth a 'catch-up'. I'll post the link when it becomes available. 
  • Options
    You have to feel sorry for the fans, players and staff in this situation.

They have well and truly shafted and we thought we had it bad at the moment. 

Hopefully this recent Influx of piss taking owners allows for proper legislation to be brought in in to protect those associated with the club's. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I’m not sure a supporters group would have jurisdiction to make a formal appeal. Nixon has just said on twitter that there will be an appeal but an admin penalty has never been overturned.
    Nor am I and never said they did, I'm just putting it out there for info.
  • Options

Hopefully this recent Influx of piss taking owners allows for proper legislation to be brought in in to protect those associated with the club's. 
    Lets hope this is the straw that finally breaks the camel's back and the situation is properly resolved. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lets hope this is the straw that finally breaks the camel's back and the situation is properly resolved. 
    Don't hold your breath mate, that was said after Bury not to mention Bolton then us and now Wigan.
  • Options
    Wigan are currently holding a press conference. The first thing said was the club are appealing the 12 point reduction that will be imposed for going into administration.
  • Options
    Wigan are currently holding a press conference. The first thing said was the club are appealing the 12 point reduction that will be imposed for going into administration.
    I can't see that they have a leg to stand on tbh.  Why even bother?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Don't hold your breath mate, that was said after Bury not to mention Bolton then us and now Wigan.
    If it results in a bond having to be lodged it will be a step in the right direction. 
  • Options
    Ask don't get, don't ask don't get they might as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Neither do I.

I believe their grounds for appeal are based on 'force majeure' - not a chance that holds any water. For that to be a valid ground then there would have had to have been the same owners prior to the pandemic - this mob bought the club 4 weeks ago!
  • Options
    On what grounds can they appeal?

They're either in administration or they're not.
  • Options
    The local MP is there and perhaps she is trying to score a few “Brownie” points with the town.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The local MP is there and perhaps she is trying to score a few “Brownie” points with the town.
    or maybe she is a Wigan supporter
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Nor am I and never said they did, I'm just putting it out there for info.
    Red chaser 👍
  • Options
    The overriding factor is WHO has committed the offence and any negative repercussions or publicity arising for the ruling body if punishment is meted.

We see this in all walks of life now not just corrupt, incompetent bodies like the football governing bodies.

It will not surprise me in the slightest to see any punishment for Wigan deferred until next season and Sheffield Wednesday will probably walk away scot free.

• Options
    Who has the legal authority to call a press conference on behalf of the club?
    (I get the moral authority bit)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I feel sorry for Wigan fans and the way they have been treated. We have been treated in a similar way and we have recently feared going into administration. There have been multiple posts about wages being paid for instance. We realise that should we go into administration, for whatever reason, you get deducted 12 points. It isn't scientific, it is 12 points if you go into administration. The consequences of changing that going forwards and backwards is the reason the EFL will not even entertain it.
  • Options
    Wigan Council own a slice of the DW, and have reassured the Warriors that they'll be ok