Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan financial woes - up for sale again? p40

Comments

• Options
    So do we know that Wigan are definitely getting a 12 point deduction? Or are they still appealing? 
    Jeff Stelling on Soccer Saturday yesterday said that Wigan had put in an appeal.
    Read somewhere that they have appealed and that the hearing is Wednesday.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The sun reckons Wigan needs to offload players to raise £5 million for bills due next month; and to reduce a £19 million payroll. Next month’s bills include payments to Barnsley, Everton and Birmingham. Makes you wonder what happens how much those clubs are expecting and if Barnsley and Birmingham don’t receive their money what impact it will have on them
    We are so lucky to have not signed anybody for a fee*, otherwise we would no doubt be in debt to who we bought them from.

*Macca aside for £200k.
  • Options
    The sun reckons Wigan needs to offload players to raise £5 million for bills due next month; and to reduce a £19 million payroll. Next month’s bills include payments to Barnsley, Everton and Birmingham. Makes you wonder what happens how much those clubs are expecting and if Barnsley and Birmingham don’t receive their money what impact it will have on them
    On the BBC football gossip web page this morning, the same paper is reporting the£19 million payroll has already put off 2 buyers who have walked away, and hence Wigan are desperately trying to sell players to reduce the huge payroll.
  • Options
    On the BBC football gossip web page this morning, the same paper is reporting the£19 million payroll has already put off 2 buyers who have walked away, and hence Wigan are desperately trying to sell players to reduce the huge payroll.
    It certainly gives a different slant to their situation. Big payroll AND chunky transfer money due to be paid to other clubs.
  • Options
    It certainly gives a different slant to their situation. Big payroll AND chunky transfer money due to be paid to other clubs.
    Living way beyond their means would suggest that FFP was coming to get them.
  • Options
    We should be talking to agents of their players. They wouldn’t want to relegate their potential new employers 😉
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    We should be talking to agents of their players. They wouldn’t want to relegate their potential new employers 😉
    Half the Wigan squad "do a Lyle Taylor", swayed by the prospect of a life changing move to Charlton next season  :D
    With that payroll they have already had it!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    But, but, but Wigan were such a well run club!!?!!!!?!!?

The EFL must have made them buy all those players they couldn't really afford.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I remember a time when that was said about Charlton  :)
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I remember a time when that was said about Charlton  :)
    But it wasn't said after we went into administration.  That's my point. 
  • Options
    I suspect that Wigan will be smashed because they aren't Leeds, Sheff W or Birmingham...

Absolute cowards.
  • Options
    I suspect that Wigan will be smashed because they aren't Leeds, Sheff W or Birmingham...

Absolute cowards.
    Leeds?  Leeds fans hate the EFL and think they were scapgoated.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Absolute cowards.
    Yes.  The bigger the club the more leniency from the footballing authorities. 

Manchester City apparently have done nothing wrong propelling themselves from a perennial 2nd division outfit to Premier League winners, it's rags to riches i tell you, a real Roy of the Rovers story.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Absolute cowards.

Manchester City apparently have done nothing wrong propelling themselves from a perennial 2nd division outfit to Premier League winners, it's rags to riches i tell you, a real Roy of the Rovers story.
    But the EFL have hammered Leeds in the past, which was my point, countering your original comment. In fact I think it's only Luton and Bolton who have been docked more points.

But they let the "big boys" like Macclesfield off.

There are inconsistencies and an apparent randomness but it's wrong to say they only go after the small clubs. 
  • Options
    I still maintain that the bigger your perceived "profile" in the game as a club, the less chance you have of being dealt with in a proportionate and equal manner to a less fashionable club.  As for Leeds, hammered yes, but that would only make me wonder what the fuck they have got away with.

I would say that we have now reached the tipping point.  Football is now so corrupt, perversely so and with the shake out from covid we are going to see much more of this.  Us, Brum, Sheff W, Wigan this season all in just one division requiring sanction metted out by ruling bodies not fit for purpose. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Absolute cowards.

But the EFL have hammered Leeds in the past, which was my point, countering your original comment. In fact I think it's only Luton and Bolton who have been docked more points.

But they let the "big boys" like Macclesfield off.

There are inconsistencies and an apparent randomness but it's wrong to say they only go after the small clubs. 
    Please don’t let facts get in the way of a narrative.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Points deduction has now been applied on TransferMarkt:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/tabelle/wettbewerb/GB2/saison_id/2019

I feel less stressed again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/tabelle/wettbewerb/GB2/saison_id/2019

Shame that Wednesdays hasnt been applied 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

They are going to tear us a new one on Saturday...
  • Options
    Wigan are going to finish more than 12 points ahead of CAFC, so we need to find 3 other teams to be ahead of.

Unless we are going to beat them Saturday?
  • Options
    We are not favourites to do that but it isn't an impossibility.
  • Options
    Wigan are going to finish more than 12 points ahead of CAFC, so we need to find 3 other teams to be ahead of.

If we draw then we go above Huddersfield as long as they lose both their matches...
  • Options

If we draw then we go above Huddersfield as long as they lose both their matches...
    And none of it matters so long as Hull, Luton and Barnsley stay down there beneath us.
  • Options
    I've just caught up with last night's Quest Championship action. Colin Murray seemed to be implying that Wigan's points deduction may be increased. Anyone know anything about this? Hadn't heard that any appeal could be ruled frivolous and increased before.
  • Options
    I've just caught up with last night's Quest Championship action. Colin Murray seemed to be implying that Wigan's points deduction may be increased. Anyone know anything about this? Hadn't heard that any appeal could be ruled frivolous and increased before.
    I'd love that. 
  • Options
    Maybe there IS a Higher being after all ! 

( NOT Henners !)