Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan financial woes - up for sale again? p40

Comments

• Options
    Just deduct them points next season when they are back in League 1.

Must be the 3rd or 4th time they've failed to pay wages on time. Problem always lies with someone or something else. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Considering they bought promotion last season (blew other teams away by offering higher wages) it seems daft that they get away with this again!

Yet another shambles of an ownership and someone needs to have an  example made of them.  

I wonder if they’ll go for the tactical “administration” now so they can start next season on zero as opposed to a negative.  What’s the deadline?  End of March isn’t it?
    This was probably the case that Nixon was talking about.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Swisdom said:
    Considering they bought promotion last season (blew other teams away by offering higher wages) it seems daft that they get away with this again!

Yet another shambles of an ownership and someone needs to have an  example made of them.  

I wonder if they’ll go for the tactical “administration” now so they can start next season on zero as opposed to a negative.  What’s the deadline?  End of March isn’t it?
    This was probably the case that Nixon was talking about.

That would make sense , especially if they're having " Liquidity" issues.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    What I laugh my arse off about is.....

@TMFootyFinance

Lauded for his football economics genius.  I had to legally sue the twat for failing to do what he said he would. 

Football is full of idiots 

End of.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Would the points deduction be more points due to this being the 2nd time in 3 years
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    3 points deduction with immediate effect 

Now 8 points off safety 

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/march/efl-statement-wigan-athletic/
  • Options
    Any future points deductions will surely be debited against next season, seeing that they are nearly down already
  • Options
    How Wigan have survived this long is amazing me. They were a football club who punched considerably above its weight when Whelan was at the helm and have no great fanbase to speak of. I think their average gate is about ten thousand and that rises if they play local teams like Preston or Burnley, it makes me wonder what wages they are paying because to be in trouble again smacks of buying promotion and not realising the costs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    If this is what a successful emergence from administration looks like, you can keep it. They are in a far worse position now (league table and squad) than when they entered administration previously. Still waiting to hear which Club is considering going into admin, unless Nixon was wrong 🤔
  • Options
    Totally bizarre takeover (which sadly they seem to attract).  They really couldn't have performed much better than they have since the takeover -ie immediate promotion - yet their owners still seem to have run out of money very quickly.

You have to worry for their existence.  Traditionally tiny club in a stadium too big for them.
  • Options
    One day the queue of snake oil salesmen and chancers will run out...

• Options
    Didn't TS mention he nearly brought them before the Bahrainis did but was dissuaded by advisors? 
  • Options
    At least people will understand there are no riches in the Championship, just large losses.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Didn't TS mention he nearly brought them before the Bahrainis did but was dissuaded by advisors? 
    They were one of the clubs he looked at yeah.
  • Options
    Awful for the fans.
  • Options
    Any future points deductions will surely be debited against next season, seeing that they are nearly down already
    That is how it tends to work if a team are set to be relegated anyway, otherwise there is no punishment.
  • Options
    Likely to be further sanctions against the club. The owner has failed to lodge funds equal to 125% of the monthly wage bill into a club account, which was a condition of previous “agreed decision” with the EFL. Owner also now charged with misconduct. 
  • Options
    Totally bizarre takeover (which sadly they seem to attract).  They really couldn't have performed much better than they have since the takeover -ie immediate promotion - yet their owners still seem to have run out of money very quickly.

You have to worry for their existence.  Traditionally tiny club in a stadium too big for them.
    You have to ask, well I do anyway, why?

What's the point.  They have probably spent North of 20 million since they owned the club, don't actually own anything, and are going to end up loosing every penny they spent.

This isn't a Goldberg or Jordan scenario, I doubt they knew where Wigan was when they bought it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Something of a Sliding Doors moment to consider I suppose... what if he HAD bought Wigan instead? Would some other "saviour" rescued us from the perils of ESI?

I don't think I'd trade positions with them right now if we were in the exact same situation and facing the same consequences but then maybe if it WAS us in the Championship already we'd be tempting bigger fish than Methven or Spiegel...
  • Options
    This could be out future someday if things keep going the way they have went the last couple of years.
  • Options
    Wigan players have gone on strike and are refusing to train after wages not paid again 
  • Options
    Wigan always seemed to me to be a Rugby League town. I always felt that Whelan brought them a Premier League FA Cup history.

Preston , Bolton and even Blackpool have bigger football heritages. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Maybe Brannigan will be out next temp CEO once Storrie’s had his turn?
    Thomas was too busy responding to fans on social media to speak with Mal when he took over.  I’d suggested Mal get in touch with him at the time but, as we now know, Thomas knew football was easy and he didn’t need any help, bar burger flipping. Think Mal’s had enough of delusional owners for a while to come back to London. 
  • Options
    Sitting  in Black Prince Holiday Inn, lots of Wigan youngsters staying  here. Are they playing one of our youth teams tomorrow?
  • Options
    Sitting  in Black Prince Holiday Inn, lots of Wigan youngsters staying  here. Are they playing one of our youth teams tomorrow?
    Their U18s are at Sparrows Lane in the morning.