Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan financial woes - up for sale again? p40

Comments

• Options
    Sitting  in Black Prince Holiday Inn, lots of Wigan youngsters staying  here. Are they playing one of our youth teams tomorrow?
    They're not staying there, they're working there to pay the cost of the team bus's diesel and driver.
  • Options

Wigan Athletic have failed to pay all players on time on the fifth occasion this season.

BBC Radio Manchester understands some of the first-team squad have been paid for this month while others have not.

A club statement said chairman Talal Al Hammad had on Friday paid 'as many employees as possible within the organisation with the resources available'.

The remaining wages are due to to paid by Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65510041

• Options
    I would bet that a substantial percentage of owners who have taken over in the past ten years have been disastrous. Football economics is broken. Unless you are a small club bouncing between league two and non league, you are racking up significant losses whether it be league one, the championship or the premier league.  The number of remaining super wealthy owners who are willing to subsidize those losses is dwindling which means most of the new owners recently are either naive narcissists who think they can turn a profit or chancers. Neither of which is good for the sport and it won’t get any better.  The only way to fix this is fix core problem with the economics which means a hard salary cap and not some financial fair play with a million loopholes and lack of punishment.  Nobody wants to talk about that though and I fear it won’t until a large club crumbles and goes out of existence
    Salary caps aren't legal are they? Didn't Jimmy Hill get them removed by going to court? And some owners would be very against changes like this resulting in it being very hard to push reform through since the tail wags the dog in football.

Shame because I agree it's just what's needed. I'd also like to see foreign player limit of 3 or 4 per team too, like the old days, while we're making reforms. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    This is why the former CEO walked away. The owner has been a nightmare and Wigan look certain to start next season in League 1 with a point deduction. 
    Let's hope Wigan & Reading get further point deductions and we'll be in with a chance of the top 6  :D
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    This is why the former CEO walked away. The owner has been a nightmare and Wigan look certain to start next season in League 1 with a point deduction. 
    Let's hope Wigan & Reading get further point deductions and we'll be in with a chance of the top 6  :D
    Well, at least it might mean we won't finish bottom 😆
  • Options
    Anthony Scully
    John Kerr

We were after both before,.I wonder if we will go back? Could be some bargains at Wigan.  Will depend on our own issues I guess.
  • Options
    It will never happen but an agreed salary code within each division would help stop the current madness of clubs losing crazy money each year. Current losses not sustainable and Clubs will soon start collapsing
  • Options
    It will never happen but an agreed salary code within each division would help stop the current madness of clubs losing crazy money each year. Current losses not sustainable and Clubs will soon start collapsing
    It was put in place a few years ago before the PFA successfully argued against it. In L1 it favoured smaller clubs as it meant bigger clubs had the same limit despite bringing in much more income.

It returned to being linked to turnover, but given the losses clubs continue to make the current rules aren't helping them become more sustainable.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/09/league-one-two-scrap-salary-cap-after-appeal-by-players-union-pfa
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wigan Athletic players are growing increasingly frustrated and angry with the club, with May wages still to be paid, reports BBC Radio Manchester.

Only a handful of squad members still under contract have been paid salaries while others are yet to be paid.

The remaining wages were due to be paid by Tuesday, but a further deadline of 17:30 BST on Thursday has passed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65559061

• Options
    I think they may struggle to start the new season 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It was put in place a few years ago before the PFA successfully argued against it. In L1 it favoured smaller clubs as it meant bigger clubs had the same limit despite bringing in much more income.

It returned to being linked to turnover, but given the losses clubs continue to make the current rules aren't helping them become more sustainable.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/09/league-one-two-scrap-salary-cap-after-appeal-by-players-union-pfa
    The problem with links to turnover, is that you only only vet them several months after the season is over, when it's too late to impact that season and benefit the teams immediately impacted.

If Ipswich had cheated this season for example, you'd only find out well into next season, so of no use to the teams in L1 who might have benefited from an Ipswich points deduction.
  • Options
    If their players haven't been paid, they can put in notice and leave can't they?  Remember it happening with a different club I think but can't remember.

Wouldn't blame them if they can get another club and an actual wage.  As WelshAddick says, they could struggle to put a team together for next season.
  • Options

Steven Caulker joined Wigan in January 2023. By then they had already missed payment dates to players in Jun, July and October 2022.  Of course it is wrong that Wigan's owners act like this but I suspect SC had other offers in Jan and followed the "highest payers" so ended up at Wigan.  More fool him, it was already obvious they were stuffed.
  • Options
    Anthony Scully
    John Kerr

We were after both before,.I wonder if we will go back? Could be some bargains at Wigan.  Will depend on our own issues I guess.

we would probably sign his brother Wayne
  • Options
    If their players haven't been paid, they can put in notice and leave can't they?  Remember it happening with a different club I think but can't remember.

Wouldn't blame them if they can get another club and an actual wage.  As WelshAddick says, they could struggle to put a team together for next season.
    Not sure whether the owner has been cute here. He seems to have paid the players under contract. Those, like Caulker, who are now out of contract haven’t been paid.  I think the EFL will hammer them this time & they’ll start next season on -12/15 points…if they start at all. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Not sure whether the owner has been cute here. He seems to have paid the players under contract. Those, like Caulker, who are now out of contract haven’t been paid.  I think the EFL will hammer them this time & they’ll start next season on -12/15 points…if they start at all. 
    Ah ok, makes sense (in a messed up way, but you know what I mean!).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TelMc32 said:

They have to or else it sets a really dangerous precedent
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Its so hard to know how to feel about point deductions in these circumstances, once again its the fans who get punished for the shyster owner's decisions.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Anthony Scully
    John Kerr

we would probably sign his brother Wayne
    Wayne Scully? I don’t get it.....

.... ;)
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

They'll definitely be hammered. Already been deducted 3 points this season for the same thing, so you'd have to expect they'll get an even bigger deduction now.
  • Options

From the FFAR (Fifa Football Agent Regulations)

"In the case of a club unlawfully failing to pay a player at least two monthly salaries on their due dates, the player will be deemed to have a just cause to terminate his contract, provided that he has put the debtor club in default in writing and has granted a deadline of at least 15 days for the debtor club to fully comply with its financial obligation(s)."

So yes - yes they can and probablyshould - this is without doubt Just Cause
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Its so hard to know how to feel about point deductions in these circumstances, once again its the fans who get punished for the shyster owner's decisions.
    True, but then their fans benefited from seeing them win L1 a year ago, unaffordably.

If Wigan had spent less on players last season, then they would have missed promotion and 3rd place MK Dons would have gone up instead
  • Options
    They could have a 12 points deduction and lose their whole team and will still probably finish above us, they always manage to find their way out of trouble in this league 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

True, but then their fans benefited from seeing them win L1 a year ago, unaffordably.

If Wigan had spent less on players last season, then they would have missed promotion and 3rd place MK Dons would have gone up instead
    And then MK Dons have gone into L2.