Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton confirm list of released and retained players

13»

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I think we only signed Matt Smith as part of Southall’s publicity stunt, just extra bodies through the door to make it seem like he made good use of his ‘supa dupa phone’. Don’t think Bowyer ever fancied him.

Matt Smith was surely cover for Sam Field, just returning from injury at the time and with a setback in training?
    And very soon after, Field hurt the same knee again and returned to West Brom, everyone assuming he was out for the season.

Remember, Matt Smith was the 6th loan signing on the books - so as a last minute insurance policy, was probably all that was available cheaply with decent pedigree.

With only 3 weeks of the season left and carrying a knock, it was doubtful if he would ever get up to game fitness in time.
    And with his loan deal expiring on 30th June, the club surely weren't going to pay for a month extra to have him around?

Funny how people were saying he was the second coming of Colin Bell and Pep really rated him when we signed him. People do really spout a load of twoddle when it supports thier over all impression of the current situation.   Funny the were mainly the same people saying judge them in August and accusing everyone who didn't agree of bed wetting. 

@Cafc43v3r  I don't remember that many posters being excited at Matt Smith's signing.

It was more a case of, "Who?" ...... and a lot of people googling his Wiki page.

And all they found was that he was "highly rated" by Man City, won 7 full caps for Wales, had a very decent last season on loan at FC Twente in the Dutch league, yet failed to make much impression at all on loan at QPR earlier this season.

That's why I said, "Remember, Matt Smith was the 6th loan signing on the books - so as a last minute insurance policy, was probably all that was available cheaply with decent pedigree."

• Options
    dickplumb said:
    Ben18 said:
    dickplumb said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Biggest loss by far is Wilberforce Ocran😭
    He was absolute dog shit, but a good name. What we are lacking is a few more double barrelled names.
    Obviously you’ve got a lot of knowledge on the youth teams, but I don’t think it’s particularly nice to say that about a young player who has just been released.
    Ben18 said:
    dickplumb said:
    Rossman92 said:
    He was absolute dog shit, but a good name. What we are lacking is a few more double barrelled names.
    Obviously you’ve got a lot of knowledge on the youth teams, but I don’t think it’s particularly nice to say that about a young player who has just been released.
    I will rephrase it. He is a lot of dog excrement. Is that more acceptable?
    No. And I’m sure you know that.
    Really strange set of morals on here. I get criticised for saying a player is shit, yet a thread was started with many pages of vitriolic criticism of a seventy year old Wife of the Club Secretary for the heinous crime of attending a Football match.
  • Options
    clive said:

The club can confirm the following U23s players have left the club following the expiration of their contracts with Charlton.

- Kareem Isiaka

- Sam Keefe

- Taylor Maloney

- Wilberforce Ocran

- Abraham Odoh

- Toby Stevenson

- Kenneth Yao

The club can also confirm that David Davis’ loan spell with Charlton has ended following the expiration of the deal and Matt Smith has now returned to his parent club Manchester City.

The club has taken up one-year options on Charles Clayden, Ben Dempsey, Nathan Harness, Jay Mingi, Joseph Osaghae, Johl Powell, Luca Vega and James Vennings, while Wassim Aouchria and Armando Junior Quitirna have signed new one-year contracts with a one-year option.

Meanwhile the following players have all signed pro contracts:

- Richard Afrane-Kesey

- Kasim Aidoo

- Freddie Barton

- Billy French

- Nathan Harvey

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5efda22caea4a/charlton-confirm-list-of-released-and-retained-players

Which one of these is angry millwall fan skid James fan clubs son 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Nicholas said:
    Has David Davis been released by Brum or is he going to be playing for them against us in a couple of weeks and suddenly look a good player. 
    His registration would have been with us for the rest of the season so can't play for Brum until the 20/21 season. Bit like Solly/Taylor, they are no longer Charlton players because their contracts have expired but they cannot register with another club to play this season. 

Nicholas said:
    Has David Davis been released by Brum or is he going to be playing for them against us in a couple of weeks and suddenly look a good player. 
    Nah he wont be allowed to play against us
    He could - they've changed the rules. 
    Thats only returning loan players from lower leagues...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I think we only signed Matt Smith as part of Southall’s publicity stunt, just extra bodies through the door to make it seem like he made good use of his ‘supa dupa phone’. Don’t think Bowyer ever fancied him.

Matt Smith was surely cover for Sam Field, just returning from injury at the time and with a setback in training?
    And very soon after, Field hurt the same knee again and returned to West Brom, everyone assuming he was out for the season.

Remember, Matt Smith was the 6th loan signing on the books - so as a last minute insurance policy, was probably all that was available cheaply with decent pedigree.

With only 3 weeks of the season left and carrying a knock, it was doubtful if he would ever get up to game fitness in time.
    And with his loan deal expiring on 30th June, the club surely weren't going to pay for a month extra to have him around?

Funny how people were saying he was the second coming of Colin Bell and Pep really rated him when we signed him. People do really spout a load of twoddle when it supports thier over all impression of the current situation.   Funny the were mainly the same people saying judge them in August and accusing everyone who didn't agree of bed wetting. 

@Cafc43v3r  I don't remember that many posters being excited at Matt Smith's signing.

It was more a case of, "Who?" ...... and a lot of people googling his Wiki page.

And all they found was that he was "highly rated" by Man City, won 7 full caps for Wales, had a very decent last season on loan at FC Twente in the Dutch league, yet failed to make much impression at all on loan at QPR earlier this season.

That's why I said, "Remember, Matt Smith was the 6th loan signing on the books - so as a last minute insurance policy, was probably all that was available cheaply with decent pedigree."

Agreed, the thought processes were
    a) is it the former Doctor Who?
    b) is it the Millwall striker who scored against us?
    c) oh, it's another Matt Smith. He barely played for QPR, that's a bit concerning
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    dickplumb said:
    Ben18 said:
    dickplumb said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Ben18 said:
    dickplumb said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Really strange set of morals on here. I get criticised for saying a player is shit, yet a thread was started with many pages of vitriolic criticism of a seventy year old Wife of the Club Secretary for the heinous crime of attending a Football match.
    Your arguing in bad faith here - no one would be critising Sue Parkes for attending if she didn't have the history she did. And it's not just a player, it's a young kid who has just been released.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    dickplumb said:
    dickplumb said:
    Ben18 said:
    dickplumb said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Ben18 said:
    dickplumb said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Your arguing in bad faith here - no one would be critising Sue Parkes for attending if she didn't have the history she did. And it's not just a player, it's a young kid who has just been released.

That's not true, I critised Sue, but also pointed out the did we really need a stadium announcer and all the other "non necessary" people that were at all the games not just ours.

As did other people. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Agreed, the thought processes were
    a) is it the former Doctor Who?
    b) is it the Millwall striker who scored against us?
    c) oh, it's another Matt Smith. He barely played for QPR, that's a bit concerning
    As someone pointed out on deadline day....

So far he has been a defensive midfielder, a box to box one, a qpr reject, a 6'5 center forward, a Wales legend, only capped by Wales to stop him playing for England, the next Colin Bell, the next Polish Pete, cover for Cullen, Lockyer's best mate, highly rated by Johnny Williams.  Have I missed anything?

On some other thread I clearly remember a "well respected poster" arguing black was white and Pep thought he was the second coming of Xavi.  Purely to defend Southall. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Nicholas said:
    If he does play let's all just be happy we get to see that undoubted ability one more time this season. 
    You know a comment like that means he'll score an injury-time winner, don't you?

Hopefully, it will be an own goal!
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    dickplumb said:
    Ben18 said:
    dickplumb said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Ben18 said:
    dickplumb said:
    Rossman92 said:
    I think you are missing the point, its irrelevant how people have acted towards Mrs Parkes.. He is just a young player who will need to find a new club so you could have been less critical and harsh. I enjoy your feedback on young players always dickplumb, but this was out of line.

To think being younger he could even visit these forums so it would be an awful thing to see/read. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    dickplumb said:
    dickplumb said:
    Ben18 said:
    dickplumb said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Ben18 said:
    dickplumb said:
    Rossman92 said:
    I think you are missing the point, its irrelevant how people have acted towards Mrs Parkes.. He is just a young player who will need to find a new club so you could have been less critical and harsh. I enjoy your feedback on young players always dickplumb, but this was out of line.

To think being younger he could even visit these forums so it would be an awful thing to see/read. 
    The criticism is fine, it's the harshness of the delivery. It was also quite uncharacteristic of DP to speak so harshly about a youngster. 
  • Options
    The definition of a dogchite footballer is/was me.
    Every footballer who has passed through the ranks at Charlton is way better than me.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The definition of a dogchite footballer is/was me.
    Every footballer who has passed through the ranks at Charlton is way better than me.
    I'm sure that'll make him feel much better  :D
  • Options
    Normally players get released when a season is finished and you know what league we are in

With relegation, will one or two of those released players have done a job in L1 as squad players?
  • Options
    Normally players get released when a season is finished and you know what league we are in

With relegation, will one or two of those released players have done a job in L1 as squad players?
    Toby Stevenson perhaps

The regulars who attend the U23 games mentioned he'd gone backwards but do question if he'd been good enough as a League One backup
  • Options

But we don't know what league we are in next season thanks to the incompetence of the EFL.

Total shambles, how can any planning take place (as well as the scum owners).
  • Options

But we don't know what league we are in next season thanks to the incompetence of the EFL.

Total shambles, how can any planning take place (as well as the scum owners).

Were planning for League One. Forget anything else!
  • Options
    SKY short programme on released academy players and their welfare.

Includes positive stuff and interviews at Sparrows Lane.

Sky News Investigates: What happens to released football academy players? | UK News | Sky News