Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best And Worst Loan Players

Comments

• Options
    Some decent loans from my earlier years supporting Charlton that all played a part:

1) Jason Lee (scored a couple of vital goals if memory serves right including in the classic 4-4 v Norwich

2) Chris Whyte

3) Kevin Scott

Then more recently:

I liked Leroy Lita.... thought he was better than some may recall.
  • Options
    Some decent loans from my earlier years supporting Charlton that all played a part:

1) Jason Lee (scored a couple of vital goals if memory serves right including in the classic 4-4 v Norwich

2) Chris Whyte

3) Kevin Scott

Then more recently:

I scrolled through every comment, hoping I’d be the first to say Jason Lee. Then got to the last comment and you said it, so now I have nothing to offer goddammit. 
  • Options
    cafckev said:
    Absolutely shocked at only one mention for Mike Small! He easily goes down as the worst I have ever seen at Charlton 
    As people have said we have had a load of crap in the past few years and even before the turn of the century, Small Is up there if not the worst of the lot. 
    That night at Millwall will unfortunately live in the memory. He was beyond bad that night and is probably the slowest player ever to have Disgraced a Charlton shirt. I swear he was wearing deep sea diving and not football boots that night. 
    Even Gary Doherty would look like Usain Bolt next too Small! 

• Options
    Song, Smertin, Jorge Costa.

Think that's my top 3. All fantastic.

Steph Mavididi was the most fun to watch, absolutely mental pace. Incredibly fun.

Worst:
    Yaya Sanogo
    I'm sure there have actually been worst players because he was actually quite useful, but that red card was fucking stupid and fucked us.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Surprised no one's mentioned Pouso yet. Easily one of the best we've had. 
    I went to an event a few years ago in Bartrams (might have been the launch of the Supporters' Trust. Mark Kinsella was part of a panel of legends answering questions from supporters about their time at the club.

Reflecting on his time as coach under Dowie, he told the story of an unnamed player (that could only have been Pouso from the description) whose poor attitude and disruptive influence on the rest of squad lead to Kins taking him running around Charlton Park during training, just to get him away from the rest of the squad.
  • Options

2) Chris Whyte

3) Kevin Scott

Then more recently:

Wasn't Whyte a short term contract rather than loan? A bit like John Barnes or Jonny Williams. 
  • Options

2) Chris Whyte

3) Kevin Scott

Then more recently:

Not sure about Kevin Scott. For someone of his size he got beaten in the air an awful lot. 
  • Options

2) Chris Whyte

3) Kevin Scott

Then more recently:

Jason Lee also scored in our first league victory over Palace for 12 years.
  • Options
    Mike Small.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    Talal said:
    I went to an event a few years ago in Bartrams (might have been the launch of the Supporters' Trust. Mark Kinsella was part of a panel of legends answering questions from supporters about their time at the club.

Reflecting on his time as coach under Dowie, he told the story of an unnamed player (that could only have been Pouso from the description) whose poor attitude and disruptive influence on the rest of squad lead to Kins taking him running around Charlton Park during training, just to get him away from the rest of the squad.
    Kinsella was not at the club during the Dowie reign. Kinsella was brought in after the club sacked Dowie and moved all the people in the Management structure up 1 e.g Reed and Robson moved up and Kinsella became the development coach. It was like the club were saying the structure is fine and Dowie was the only issue. That was soon shit 7 games later when Les was sacked and in came Pardew brining in Parkinson 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Talal said:

Would not surprise me if it was Puoso as he was blowing out of his are during his 1 appearance. Think we got shot of him fairly soon after Dowie went
  • Options
    Not the worst but Jonathan Spector was totally out of his depth in the prem. Rob Hulse did an important job for us while Yann was injured.
  • Options
    Not the worst but Jonathan Spector was totally out of his depth in the prem. Rob Hulse did an important job for us while Yann was injured.
    Wasn't Spector played at left back a fair bit? Was right footed as far as I recall and better at centre back. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    MrLargo said:
    Talal said:

Kinsella was not at the club during the Dowie reign. Kinsella was brought in after the club sacked Dowie and moved all the people in the Management structure up 1 e.g Reed and Robson moved up and Kinsella became the development coach. It was like the club were saying the structure is fine and Dowie was the only issue. That was soon shit 7 games later when Les was sacked and in came Pardew brining in Parkinson 
    You're correct. Just checked on Wikipedia, Kinsella came back in December '06, Pouso was released by Pardew in February '07, so that makes sense.
  • Options
    Alan Kerneghan on loan from Boro like a defensive rock in the Lennie Lawrence era.  Talk of him signing permanently then Lennie got made the Boro manager and Kerneghan got recalled and made captain up there. 
  • Options
    Song, Smertin, Jorge Costa.

Think that's my top 3. All fantastic.

Steph Mavididi was the most fun to watch, absolutely mental pace. Incredibly fun.

Worst:
    Yaya Sanogo
    I'm sure there have actually been worst players because he was actually quite useful, but that red card was fucking stupid and fucked us.
    A great summary of what Sanogo brought to us is that he scored a hattrick in a game we lost 4-3. Those were his only goals for us. He had a contract where we paid less for him the more he played and we still didn't play him much in a team where we had Makienok and Reza as alternative options. He got as many cards as he did goals. He's currently 27 and without a club after scoring 12 goals for Toulouse in 3 years. Hope he knows another skill..
  • Options
    How about Rueben Agboola - dreadful
  • Options
    Most of the worst have been defenders, Seabiscuit stood out as one particularly shit player, so I'll (sugar) lump for him.

When they were good they were very very good, of all the decent ones I really liked Buyens, Coquelin, Carson, Smertin, Gallagher and Costa.

But Alex Song was the best, for one so young at the time he came to us, he was so good for such a short spell, 12 games, that he went back to a future at Arsenal, and ended up at Barcelona. 
  • Options
    T said:
    Alan Kerneghan on loan from Boro like a defensive rock in the Lennie Lawrence era.  Talk of him signing permanently then Lennie got made the Boro manager and Kerneghan got recalled and made captain up there. 
    at least we got Walsh back - I think it worked out well for both..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McDonald 
    Kernaghan
    Whyte C
    Whyte D
    Sullivan (loan?)
    Buyens
    Bulot
    Coquelin 
    Bielik
    Cullen
    Gallagher

You could probably make that into a bit of a team. 

• Options
    Talal said:
    Amen
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Niemi was just unfortunate we had Kiely at the time.

Edit, having said that I don't recall him ever making the bench but I could be wrong. 
    He was an unused sub at grimsby because Deano was away with Ireland.  That was the only game I missed that season. Still bitter. 
    Knowledge!

Out of interest, who played in goal that day? I’m struggling to come up with anyone. Peterson maybe?
    Ilic. 
    That’s it- I’ve lost all respect for Curbs’ judgement now!
  • Options
    As for the worst loanees, you could probably put together a team of dregs just from the rubbish that Duchatelet foist upon us early on in his dictatorship. The worst two are surely Yohann Thuram-Ulien and Rhys Williams.  It's such a shame they had had to come near our club, but it's heartening to see that they've both found their level. Thuram is now the reserve keeper for a French second division outfit, whilst Williams' latest team was recently relegated from the Saudi league. I wonder how quick Mowgli is to take the credit for those two?
  • Options
    Trying to make a team of loanees, discounting those who then signed permanently for us and only including those that I've seen. Really struggling for decent strikers so just one up top in a 4231! Nathan Byrne was the best RB I could think of

.................Carson
    Byrne...Costa...Bielik...Dasilva
    ........Song.......Coquelin
    Gallagher.....Smertin.......Bulot
    ........Lita/Sordell/Jason Lee/Mavididi/Obika/Makienok etc

• Options
    I thought Loic Nego a loan player, but when I checked he got a 3 1/2 year deal, yet we gave Taylor 1 year with an option for a further season. 

• Options
    Best: Scott Carson | Alex Song | Zhi Zheng | Josh Cullen | Krystian Bielik | Yoni Buyens | Conor Gallagher | Sam Field | Nathan Byrne | Jay Dasilva | Francis Coquelin

Worst: Matt Smith | David Davis | Joe Dodoo | Sullay Kaikai | Conor McAleny | Anil Koc | Marcus Tudgay | Davide Petrucci | Yohann Thuram | Eggert Jonsson | Abdul Razak | Franck Nouble | Gary Borrowdale | Danny Butterfield | Danny Mills | Rhys Williams

I honestly believe that from our first season in the Championship (after being relegated from the Premier League) until the season when Chris Powell came in, all our loan players were just awful, plain awful that made fans wince whenever we signed a loan player because we instantly knew they were going to be a crock of shite - Under Roland and the network we actually got some good loans in like Buyens and Bulot but under Robinson (less so) and Bowyer the use of the loan market really has been used to our benefit, similar to a way that got Huddersfield promoted to the Premier League where you're not just filling the loan slots for the sake of it but because the players can make an actual difference

There are a good few players I've left out like Tresor Kandol | Akpo Sodje etc. because I dont think they were poor loans, yet just poor players in general

Same with the likes of Stephy Mavididi or Zyro, neither were bad loan signings as both made contributions when they were here... They just weren't outstanding either
    No Jorge Costa?
    I left some off as they'd been mentioned, although I also included some who'd been mentioned

But yeah he's definitely one of the best if not the best one - Used to love it when he had to run desperately back after a corner
    Never really looked hurried, he had positional sense like no other defender I have ever seen. Solid as a rock and led the defence like a warrior.
    How we missed him when he left.☹️
  • Options
    No mention of Tom Hovi yet. The Hovis of this world probably didn't deserve to earn a crust from football.
    Cue 10 pages of bread puns
  • Options
    Tom Soares was a bit rubbish, seem to remember him being unfit. Same with Lee Cook, though he was better second time round
  • Options
    I thought Miloš Veljković look very good for the 4 or 5 games he played before that shoulder injury.