Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best And Worst Loan Players

124»

Comments

• Options
    Another crap loan from more recent times which I’m surprised nobody has mentioned - Sullay Kaikai  :s
  • Options
    Trying to make a team of loanees, discounting those who then signed permanently for us and only including those that I've seen. Really struggling for decent strikers so just one up top in a 4231! Nathan Byrne was the best RB I could think of

.................Carson
    Byrne...Costa...Bielik...Dasilva
    ........Song.......Coquelin
    Gallagher.....Smertin.......Bulot
    ........Lita/Sordell/Jason Lee/Mavididi/Obika/Makienok etc

Horrendous strikers.  I quite liked Obika the first time around but the others were awful 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Another crap loan from more recent times which I’m surprised nobody has mentioned - Sullay Kaikai  :s
    Already on my list... God awful player!!

Should be a rule that we dont loan anyone from Greenhouse FC anymore - David Whyte must have the last decent one from them? 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Trying to make a team of loanees, discounting those who then signed permanently for us and only including those that I've seen. Really struggling for decent strikers so just one up top in a 4231! Nathan Byrne was the best RB I could think of

.................Carson

Horrendous strikers.  I quite liked Obika the first time around but the others were awful 
    How was Jason Lee awful? Made a great impact - winner v Palace works in my favour!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

.................Carson

How was Jason Lee awful? Made a great impact - winner v Palace works in my favour!
    Likewise has Paul Kitson had a mention yet?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Simon Webster started on loan for us, looked a bit shaky in his first appearence but went on to be a real hero. Someone else picked out Alan McDonald and Jorge Costa, two guys who slotted straight in and did superb.

On the downside......I still don't think I've ever seen a professional anywhere as poor  as Thuram, the moment I saw him I knew the club was in dire straits. As Alan Hansen was fond of saying, shocking.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Jorge Costa by a distance. 
    Honourable mention for Alan McDonald who we tried to sign. Doubt many of you remember him. Also Kernaghan from Middlesborough. 
    Wasn't Lennie Lawrence negotiating with Boro about signing Kernaghan on a perm & he so impressed the Boro board that they offered him their managers job which he accepted so we lost our manager & a decent player. I wonder what happened next ?

As I read through the pages I saw this has been mentioned, sorry !
  • Options
    Alan Kernigan was a good loan signing
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

.................Carson

Yes - apologies for that.  That was in THE Patterson save game too 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Honourable mention for Alan McDonald who we tried to sign. Doubt many of you remember him. Also Kernaghan from Middlesborough. 
    Wasn't Lennie Lawrence negotiating with Boro about signing Kernaghan on a perm & he so impressed the Boro board that they offered him their managers job which he accepted so we lost our manager & a decent player. I wonder what happened next ?

Colin Walsh was on loan at Middlesborough (swap with Kernaghan), so the deal got our best player back, and allowed Curbishley to become manager. It all worked out quite well...

edit; think I may have wooshed myself
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Niemi was just unfortunate we had Kiely at the time.

Edit, having said that I don't recall him ever making the bench but I could be wrong. 
    I dont remember Niemi ever signing for us. I thought curbishley lost patience and signed kiely instead so niemi went to Southampton. 
  • Options
    Alan Kernigan was a good loan signing
    Fantastic player
  • Options
    Thuram and Rhys Williams stand out as particularly bad. Watching Thuram warm up at the Valley was comical.

Song Coquelin and Carson were all good loans.
  • Options
    drewman said:
    Talal said:
    Niemi was just unfortunate we had Kiely at the time.

Edit, having said that I don't recall him ever making the bench but I could be wrong. 
    I dont remember Niemi ever signing for us. I thought curbishley lost patience and signed kiely instead so niemi went to Southampton. 
    Pretty sure he was here on loan but I'll see if there's anything in a programme.
  • Options
    Yeah I did have a look a Wiki, not the most reliable of sources but it's usually right about this sort of thing. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Yeah I did have a look a Wiki, not the most reliable of sources but it's usually right about this sort of thing. 
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/1410766.stm

Charlton manager Alan Curbishley watched the former Rangers keeper in action towards the end of last season and Niemi also spent a period on loan at The Valley.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Charlton manager Alan Curbishley watched the former Rangers keeper in action towards the end of last season and Niemi also spent a period on loan at The Valley.
    IIRC he was signed on loan and the intention was that he played at Grimsby but his wife was about to give birth so he ended his loan early and didn't play. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Talal said:

IIRC he was signed on loan and the intention was that he played at Grimsby but his wife was about to give birth so he ended his loan early and didn't play. 
    Yeah if you go on the Soccerbase page for Antti it shows he was only ever with us for a month in November '99
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scott Carson was our POTY.

Thuram was not the best keeper we have had.
  • Options
    Astrit Ajdarevic was decent.

...well, for the first 30 mins anyway.
  • Options

AA had a good left foot, right foot and was decent in the air, so far so good. Not sure he could last 30 minutes though ! 
  • Options

AA had a good left foot, right foot and was decent in the air, so far so good. Not sure he could last 30 minutes though ! 
    I hate to imagine what he would have been like after lockdown...
  • Options

I hate to imagine what he would have been like after lockdown...
    Less Asterix Ajdarevic and more Obelix Ajdarevic. 
  • Options

Colin Walsh was on loan at Middlesborough (swap with Kernaghan), so the deal got our best player back, and allowed Curbishley to become manager. It all worked out quite well...

edit; think I may have wooshed myself
    Haha well it wasn't really a whoosh though I was of course well aware of what happened but as you were so eager to admit you might have been I'm happy to award you a charltonbob whoosh :-)