Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birmingham v Charlton | Post-match thread | 15/07/2020

Comments

• Options
    Said this on the post match thread last week and it’s happened again. It’s cost us the 3 points once more.
    JoshAddick said:
    I love Bonne for his effort but how many times have we found ourself saying ‘he should have scored’ after a game? Too many for a professional striker in the Championship 

It's not his fucking fault. He scored one & the keeper saved the 2nd.

Blame anyone blame Bowyer.
    He’s a striker, he’s supposed to score. If he misses a chance from 2 yards out it’s his fault.
    But isnt it the job of the opposition Goalkeeper to stop him?

If the roles are reversed and its Hogan v Phillips then we'd all be saying that Phillips has to try and save it
    Of course you expect the keeper to try to save it. But if Phillips does save that shot from Hogan (in roles reserved) it’s an amazing stop, because the forward is rightfully the favourite from 2 yards out. 

Anyway, doesn’t matter. Onto Saturday.
  • Options
    Hogan actually missed an open goal from the penalty rebound. Really should have scored. 
  • Options
    The only thing I can think of to write is Arrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!!

I feel better now.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    You have to learn to manage the team to see games out.

If Bowyer had stuck with the 11 for the entire game, we'd have been tired but I believe we'd have seen it out.

At least take off the strugglers for hungry young quick players.
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking that if Barnsley lose tomorrow & we beat Wigan, we’re safe no matter what?

Even if there’s a winner with Luton & Hull on Saturday, we beat Wigan & their 12 point deduction puts them down 
    We beat Wigan, they can’t catch us. If Hull Luton has a winner, the loser can’t catch us. And even if Barnsley get 7 points from Leeds Forest and Brentford, they can’t catch us.
    This makes me feel kinda good but now I feel even more sick about Saturday.
  • Options
    HandG said:
    Put any manager in charge of those players and I reckon most would've gone defensive at the end, but as has been said, switching 3 at once seemed odd.

Thought McGeady was terrific at times. 

Far from over this. 

Keep the faith everyone. 
    Agree on McGeady - he is getting better by the game. The way he pulled one ball out of the sky in the first half was absolute class. He deserved a goal for his performance.
    That was the best touch by any Charlton player all season. It was perfect.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm going to stick £20 on a Leeds win just to ensure we win.
    Leeds will still beat us with the champions trophy on the shelf, a team full of hungover players and with one eye on a summer break 
  • Options
    Bowyers getting the pelters but it's JJ that looks after the defence.

(Puts on tin hat and runs for cover!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still in our own hands as unlikely as it looks

We never do things the easy way, and we always seem to get results when we least expect them. 

Being reasonable never write this charlton team off. 

I would not bet against us on the final day of the season beating Leeds

You just never know. 
    I would. 
  • Options
    HandG said:
    Refuse to post as I was raging after FT. 

Time to reflect. 

I think we're down. Them last 5 minutes were huge. I can't see us getting anything against Wigan or Leeds I think they must be the top 2 inform teams. 

Hate seeing Lee getting the blame. The amount of crap he has had to deal with is like no other. Has done wonders for us to be in the position we are. 
    That was 2 poor teams out there. I don't think we can moan to much about relegation we just haven't  been good enough. 

Win lose or draw
    Prem champ  league 1 or  2 

I will always be Charlton. 
    Are we that poor though? Are Phillips, Matthews, Doughty, Lockyer, Field, Cullen, Williams and McGeady not good standard Championship players? I appreciate that we are toothless up front but I still don’t think we’re as bad as people make out...
    Phillips - yes, Matthews - on his day, Doughty - maybe, ideally in a stronger squad where he can learn, Lockyer - wouldn't say good standard for champ yet, Field - maybe, when fully fit, but we haven't had him fully fit, Cullen - yes, Williams - maybe when fully fit, in a better side, McGeady - no, maybe 3 years ago.

There are a few players whose game would be elevated with better players around them, but we just lack the quality of player that other teams have. Not having a go, they have made up for the gap with effort and being organised, but we just couldn't suffer the loss of Gallagher, Leko and Taylor for large parts of the season, without feeling that effect.
  • Options

We've scored 4 goals in 10 games...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    LouisMend said:
    You have to learn to manage the team to see games out.

If Bowyer had stuck with the 11 for the entire game, we'd have been tired but I believe we'd have seen it out.

At least take off the strugglers for hungry young quick players.
    What hungry young quick players?
  • Options
    Fuck. Remember when we were 2nd in the championship?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @Scoham
    Whatever we can pull out the hat!
  • Options

We've scored 4 goals in 10 games...
     That"d be 12 points if we could keep the sheets clean.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Caretaker manager for Brum: "Most shots and most shots on target since October", what does that tell you?
    It tells you that they were in & around our penalty area.....which they couldn't do if we had the ball in their half. 

We didnt win the game because we took off the 3 players that were running at them &  causing them problems (Dougherty, Williams & McGeady). Don't tell me that a professional footballer who has had 2 months off & been playing 30-45 mins every 3 or 4 days for less than a month cant play 80 or 90 mins for ONE match. If they cant then they should hang up their boots. Can't remember what match it was the other day but both teams were unchanged from the match before. 

I'm not one for quotes & the "definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over....blah blah blah" is a bit tweet......but fucking hell. If you cant see that we have thrown away point after point this season by taking off attackers & bringing on defenders then you shouldnt be in management. Bowyer needs to take responsibility & not throw Bonne under the bus again or moan at the officials like k  previous games. This one is all on him. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    ct_addick said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Matt southall
    tahnoon niminer 
    esi 
    lyle Taylor 

too many c***s spoil the broth 
    Yeh and all three have three things in common  Greed and Zero integrity are two of them 👎👎
    What about RD as well 
    Correct 
    with Zero Integrity to boot.

Only the Charlton Faithful and Lee Bowyer have supported this Club.
    and if a Miracle keeps us up, and the Tossers in the EFL pull their finger out and approve our takeover 
    then we all could see better Days.
    i cannot see much investment or anything positive back in League 1 👎👎
  • Options
    If we beat Wigan we stay up.

That's a very big "if" given that we are playing a side that has won 9 of their last 12 and who scored twice as many goals in their last match as we have in our last 10 games put together! 
  • Options

That's a very big "if" given that we are playing a side that has won 9 of their last 12 and who scored twice as many goals in their last match as we have in our last 10 games put together! 
    Stranger things have happened in football
  • Options
    Many posters are saying that we now need a miracle.

Well the fact we still have a chance on Saturday to get out of this mess is a bloody miracle....stranger things have happened and maybe Wigan will crumple under the pressure... Maybe not... But we should look forward to it and put tonight to bed.
    We go again! 
    As disappointed as I was an hour ago, Saturday is our Wembley final all over again. 

A single game to be in the Championship. Winner takes all. We aren't favourites but who cares. 
  • Options

True... But they didn't get one shot on target against Barnsley... Anything is possible but I agree it will be tough. 
  • Options

Stranger things have happened in football
    They have indeed - its just a shame that we have become reliant on "stranger things"