Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birmingham v Charlton | Post-match thread | 15/07/2020

Comments

• Options
    As with the Reading game, we did enough against Brum to earn more points than we got. After a nervous first few minutes we grew into the game and certainly had the better of the second half, with two or three great opportunities to seal victory before that late sucker punch. 
    What I would say is that we look better when the play is open and end to end. As soon as we go into our shell and try to see the game out, everyone becomes nervous (much like us watching) and fearful of making a mistake. It has happened so many times this season, partly due to negative substitutes, but also I think due to the mindset of the players, they drop off and invite the pressure.
    Fingers crossed for a Hull v Luton draw now, as that may just be enough to save us.
  • Options
    This result is such a huge blow now needing to beat Wigan is such a huge task. What makes it worse is they have something to play for. sigh sigh supporting Charlton is so hard one crisis to the next.

Thanks Lyle you totally screwed us! 
  • Options
    I knew it. Didn't watch the game but two beeps on the phone in quick succession which woke me could only mean one thing: a late goal followed by the full time whistle. And which team has let in so many late goals this year? When I checked the score the only surprise was we hadn't lost 1-0!

It ain't over yet. Wigan have kept so many clean sheets recently and scored eight on Tuesday. Charlton haven't scored more than one in a game since February. It can only point to a big win for the Addicks.
  • Options
    Gutting but no change. Beat Wigan we stay up, providing Barnsley do no better than draw tomorrow. Even had we won tonight, lose to Wigan Saturday we were in the brown stuff. Mission Wigan, and if the mcgeady that played tonight turns up we have got a chance.
    I know what you are saying but I don’t agree that 49 points wouldn’t stay up. I guarantee you that it will be enough to stay above Barnsley and 2 out of 4 from Hull, Luton, Wigan or Hudds. Mark my words.
  • Options
    mascot88 said:
    I'm having to let it go ... if you get too close, if you get too worked up about it, we could all get sick, it's not good for us, I bet there is a study showing that supporting a shite football team will shorten your life expectancy. 

I'm back to hoping Roland drops dead,so the neck clamp he put on this club years ago may be, finally, wrenched free... 

Bowyer has a specific way of playing that, he feels, is the best way to get points which is 1-0 and with a decent striker that was working, we then live by the seat of our pants, but the players are all tired, that goal was inevitable, I'm angry at myself that I even let a drop o hope fall in when we went 1 up, and it took me a few hours to get over that after the game. 

88% chance of us going down now, and I'll be ****** if I am holding on to any hope as it has hurt me 80% of the time over the years. 

So that's that. 

F***** f****** f*** 

What is the secret to ‘getting over it’? I can’t shake off the anger, even after sleeping (not very well) on it. We all sat there when the extra 7 minutes were announced, all went “What? 7 minutes? No way” and then predicted the inevitable but, even so, it makes it no less hard to take. 

I am now now clinging onto the fact that Wigan recently only drew 0-0 with Barnsley as the last strand of hope that we can get at least one more point. 48 point may very well be enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Woke up early as the result is still bugging me. It is wrong not to say Bowyer isn't an excellent manager as much as it is wrong not to say Powell was for us. Their flaws are something many managers share and something they have in common. Some teams are better at seeing out games than others. Generally we defend ok but I have noticed we are not a team that can sustain backs to the wall defending for too long.

We need respite to set up again. Williams is a great player to help you get that because he draws fouls and having free kicks is your most effective way of resetting and closing a game down. We sit very deep and clear the ball to an opponent who attacks us again and again and that absolutely doesn't suit us.

I know the level is completely different but I have experienced the same situation. If you are leading by an only goal it is incredibly difficult and counter intuitive not to defend it. Your opponents have nothing to lose so they push up and take risks. They are effectively forcing your hand though. You HAVE to think about exploiting those risks at the other end. When you fail to do this, they push up even more and even a pub team could put you under pressure. You only have to look at our results this season to see that this approach has cost us too many points. If we were better at defending in this situation, fair enough. We are relatively good defensively, but have mistakes in us which costs us when the ball keeps coming back.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I would say if we lose our next two games, relegation is 90% likely. If we draw one, 70% and if we win against Wigan 2%. So it really comes down to whether we can beat Wigan. It isn't impossible but if we score first by any means, we know we will do what we did yesterday and so it is hard to make a case for us winning unless the gods are smiling on us big time.

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    I feel gutted.

The only good thing is we didn't lose 2-1 because I could see that happening. Those below us now need a WIN to overtake us assuming we get no more points which is entirely possible although I hope we might scrap another draw against Wigan and not get too hammered at Leeds.

Glad I voted Phillips Player of the Year. 

Bowyer has worked an absolute miracle to keep us out of the bottom 3 all season, bar that one potentially crucial week, with just 2 games to go.

Our luck must turn and we get something out of one of these two remaining games.

Sorry about the 'stream of consciousness' incoherence but despite being inured to disappointment from 57 years of Charlton I'm feeling it more than normal tonight. 
    We are of exactly the same vintage  in terms of supporting the club and I am feeling much the same this morning.

Even if relegation is avoided, any close season is going to be consumed by ownership shenanigans without much prospect of assembling a squad strong enough to avoid another season of struggle on the pitch, and that will apply equally if relegated.

God, it’s hard supporting this club.
  • Options
    Tough night but in typical Charlton fashion I think we'll go out and win on Saturday
    91st minute, Hemed deflects off his backside, Charlton win 1-0 
    91st minute?  Too risky.  Average injury time must be 4 minutes, that leaves plenty of time for a gut wrenching equaliser. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    We gave Birmingham energy, with the subs in the 77th minute. We retreated and suddenly Birmingham were dangerous again. At a time when we needed to make sure the next Dortmund wonder kid didn't get the ball we put the reversing lights on.

We were never going to hold out for 20 minutes. ( Including added time)

The Brentford and Leeds victories were freak results at the Valley, and football folk knew they were the best 2 teams that would come to the cafc all season. Having the Alamo as your blueprint for success was always going to end in tears. 

Disappointed with Lee Bowyer's comments after the match. He has had to try to run a football club with a civil war going on off the pitch. For his sake if it can't be resolved very soon he has to accept a new challenge at another Championship club where he can continue his management career.

All the football fans I spoke to who have coached and managed ( 4 including me !)
    thought the subs in the 77th minute were wrong and gave the initiative to Birmingham. We all thought so at the time, not 20 minutes later in retrospect.

Ok, if it's Jackson as manager in League 1, with Davidson, Morgan etc in front of 7 or 8k ( if Covid allows ?) then so be it.

If we are still in the Championship then we may be in for a record low return unless the shocking Nimer/Southall/Duchatelet era at Cafc isn't resolved before the 2020/21 season gets going.

I refuse to blame the players that are still giving everything despite CAFC being a laughing stock off the pitch. Southall makes Duchatelet seem like a nice guy.

• Options
    It should be a good game Saturday where Wigan and us both have to win...

More so for Wigan as a point might be enough for us... But that is a big ask really. 

The key though after last night is how we will line up and what formation we go for?

Haven’t got a scooby any more...but I do know this.... we've been punching above our weight for sooooo long that eventually the towel gets thrown in.

Its nobodys fault except the owners... All of them past and present. 

I just hope that LB can get every player to run themselves into the ground on Saturday.... One last final round where maybe a wild haymaker strikes the opposition on the chin and you pull off a victory.....sorry for boxing analogies but my dad was a boxer and this seemed apt.. 

COYR.... One last go... please for all us. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

An absolute sickener – but we did not deserve to win. Brum had 24 shots to our seven. Phillips made excellent saves, best of all diving to his right to parry a fierce low shot through a crowd.

We had 60 per cent of the possession – most of it ineffective. Pissing about on the halfway line, putting team-mates under pressure with hospital balls. One of our perennial problems is strikers like statues – no movement to make space or invite passes from midfield. And when Hemed and Bonne do eventually get possession, they haven’t the skill or cunning to threaten the goal.

Doughty accelerates and leaves the defender for dead – and two minutes later makes a basic mistake, leaving us exposed. Chuks did well as sub, driving at the defence. Our central defenders were resolute as usual: Lockyer made vital last-ditch tackles.

McGeady is bang ordinary at best. Cullen made errors: causing the penalty was the worst of several. Crowley and Gardner bossed the game in Brum’s favour.

Brum, Boro and Stoke seem to be safe. Will we avoid the drop? By one point, one place...? 

Doughty was really dangerous in attacking areas, but struggled a bit defensively. I don't get why he cannot just start at left midfield, his actual position and play a LB (Purrington) at LB
    He's a left back by trade.
     Agree that he should play left mid as far up as poss. Why not?! Hes so dangerous. He made that easy for bonne. 
    Id have Purri behind him. Then can double up if need to defensive but also have a threat. Ditto with matthews and oshi. 

I cant believe that we didnt try and get it to hemeds head once! Surely thats what he is known for? 
  • Options
    To pissed off to post after the game. Just gutted we still haven’t got the mentality to see a game out.  It’s done now and all about Saturday.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    From memory, I know we had games in hand after Chris Powell was sacked at HT in the Sheffield United cup game but didn't we rely on a small group of players to get us through the 3 games a week till the end of season ?  Probably the highlight of Diego Poyet's short career so far when his fetch and carry style was so effective under Riga the first time round.

We either have too many players who can't play 90 minutes or Bowyers thinks they can't play longer. Williams drawing fouls from Sunderland was the catalyst for our win at Wembley. I would have made sure he went the distance for the full 90 last night.

Whether you are a manager in the competitive youth leagues or the Premier the buck stops with the Manager. And those of us who have had moaning parents know it's no easier in park football ! 
    And that was after winning a semi final when I made no subs which is unheard of in youth football. Only the parents of the 4 subs complained who didn't get on ! 
  • Options
    I actually thought that was our worst performance since lockdown. We gave the ball away a lot and looked much less assured at the back than we have, against a very poor Birmingham side. Should still have won and Bowyer despite being a hero is well worthy of criticism now for failing to learn about these ridiculously defensive attempts to hold out games, only last week we got stitched up by it, we should have left one of doughty and Williams on to stretch them.

that said, we’ve played okay in every game- we were very unfortunate to lose all 3 before last night. I’m furious and gutted and feel like I’ve been going through 24/7 torture for 4 months, butttt

We can do this. Need to pick ourselves up and need Cullen back to form as he was not himself yesterday and that has a huge effect, but we can do. If we could manage a point against Wigan that alone will give us a good chance, anything more than from the last 2 games combined and we’ll definitely survive. 
  • Options
     I think we possibly played his potential new club tonight.... 
    No shit... It's been all over the news this week.
  • Options
    Not sure I understand the desperation to play Doughty at LW. Last night was about as attacking a side as Bowyer could put out. Doughty playing as a wing back got forward plenty, his heat map shows he spent most of his time in the opposition half. Williams naturally cuts inside a lot so that usually will give more space for Doughty to run in to.

I do wonder sometimes if people have watched football before. 
  • Options
    Not sure about the abuse Bowyer is getting. We have a weak squad that’s best ability is defending, we’ve looked pretty solid since the break. We are barely league one quality going forward. We quite easily could have been 2 up but missed a couple of sitters. Personally I think we tried to defend the lead a bit early but we are a bottom 3 side scrapping to be 4th from bottom and Bowyer makes the call which if it comes off, he’s a hero. Not sure Williams was going to help us with the inevitable Birmingham onslaught. It’s disappointing but we aren’t doomed yet and the state of the clubs ownership is more worrying for me.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Bottom line is, we just aren't good enough to compete in the Championship. The team is weaker overall than last season's League One promotion team. When we needed strengthening in January we were instead depleted further, with Conor being pulled out of the ESI mad-house.

This is Charlton, so you never know. We might go and beat in-form Wigan, or go spoil Leeds' promotion party, but with such a powder puff attack it feels very unlikely.

I fear that relegation beckons and although that hurts, to be brutally honest I don't care about that half as much as I do about FINALLY getting decent owners. If we're in League One next season with the current charlatans still hanging on for their grubby payday I don't think the Valley will be seeing much of yours truly for a while.
    Agree with all of that.