Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birmingham v Charlton | Post-match thread | 15/07/2020

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I think Lee is a good manager, but just read his quote from the CAFC website:
    “We can’t see a game out, we don’t manage it well. Other teams they manage the game better going into injury time, they slow things down, they get fouls, they buy fouls, we don’t do that.
    Then why take Jonny Williams off he gets fouled the most and surely could have lasted longer!
    The answer
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/major-injury-setback-as-key-charlton-man-set-to-miss-rest-of-the-season/
  • Options
    9.14 on Thursday and just about stopped seething over last night!

Thing that so frustrates the hell out of me is why the players can't play out injury time without offering the other side chances to score. It just happens so often. (Compare us to Reading on Saturday who scarcely let us in their half during injury time, keeping us penned in our own half as they won a series of throws and free kicks). Just keep the ball, play it into the corner,etc. It surely can't be that hard to do.

Amazingly we still have one last chance to save ourselves. All I know is if we go into injury time 1-0 up in Saturday's game I confidently predict we will let a goal in! 
    We cant see out games because we have no attacking threat, have mostly defensive players on the pitch & are camped in our box. Any clearance or release out is snuffled by their players & hoofed back into our box.

Just for once I like to see the opposite - have more attacking players on the pitch & play the ball to them to run with. Not only does that take you up the pitch but will also  draw fouls (Williams & Doughty) which gives the defence time to regroup & takes the sting out of the opposition. 

If the previous xxx number of attempts have shown that plan A doesnt work then its time for plan B. Might take a brave manager to do it.......but I'd rather be brave & try it than be foolish & carry on the same old same old.

• Options

Apologies for the poor quality gif but hopefully you can just make out Albie once again losing players running into the box.

Two of them stroll past him, one gets the initial shot off and the other ends up scoring. Nabys positioning also leaves a lot to be desired.
    I blame the player nearest to us. Doesnt get back onto the line facing play. Basic defending imo.
  • Options
    Hoof it up tactics don’t help matters when the forwards can’t hold on to the ball giving away possession every time 🤨 We looked better passing the ball around. Alas confidence has drained and looking more like relegation fodder when Lady Luck has had enough and fucked off. 
    At the moment I keep thinking that I don’t care as there’s more to life than football.🌜 But then thinking it through, I do really do care. 🌛Life is more complete when your footie team win.🌝 Maybe a season back in Div III to regroup and get this ownership sorted out might not be a bad outcome 🤔
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    So Golfie, if Williams and Doughty could not continue, as Bowyer has told Crawley, what would your master plan have been last night then. Chucks was already on and Morgan replaced Williams which only left one attack minded player in Davison. And I'm not sure he's in the same league as Doughty or Williams at running with the ball. Believe it or you can only work with the tools at your disposal.
  • Options

Thing that so frustrates the hell out of me is why the players can't play out injury time without offering the other side chances to score. It just happens so often. (Compare us to Reading on Saturday who scarcely let us in their half during injury time, keeping us penned in our own half as they won a series of throws and free kicks). Just keep the ball, play it into the corner,etc. It surely can't be that hard to do.

Amazingly we still have one last chance to save ourselves. All I know is if we go into injury time 1-0 up in Saturday's game I confidently predict we will let a goal in! 
    We cant see out games because we have no attacking threat, have mostly defensive players on the pitch & are camped in our box. Any clearance or release out is snuffled by their players & hoofed back into our box.

Just for once I like to see the opposite - have more attacking players on the pitch & play the ball to them to run with. Not only does that take you up the pitch but will also  draw fouls (Williams & Doughty) which gives the defence time to regroup & takes the sting out of the opposition. 

If the previous xxx number of attempts have shown that plan A doesnt work then its time for plan B. Might take a brave manager to do it.......but I'd rather be brave & try it than be foolish & carry on the same old same old.

have you not read Bowyer's interview or are you just ignoring it?
  • Options
    Sarr and Purrington wanting the ball to come onto their left foot nicely to clear. It just looks like 2 players who have failed to adjust to the speed of the game in crucial moments. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Sarr and Purrington wanting the ball to come onto their left foot nicely to clear. It just looks like 2 players who have failed to adjust to the speed of the game in crucial moments. 
    Its the one problem for substitutes

They might have fresher legs but the players on the pitch have the advantage of knowing the pace of the game etc.

Its why I used to hate judging Grant on the handful of minutes he used to get as feel a player coming on needs time to get up to speed with everyone else 
  • Options

Apologies for the poor quality gif but hopefully you can just make out Albie once again losing players running into the box.

Two of them stroll past him, one gets the initial shot off and the other ends up scoring. Nabys positioning also leaves a lot to be desired.
    I blame the player nearest to us. Doesnt get back onto the line facing play. Basic defending imo.
    purrington
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Neither Sarr nor Purrington were getting near that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

have you not read Bowyer's interview or are you just ignoring it?
    Not read or heard anything he had said. Why should I. Usually just slags off the strikers & comes out with the usual old guff. 

Would be good to know why he didnt haul off Cullen at half time seeing as he gave away the ball for their pen......or is that only reserved for OUR youngsters.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Never the two on the lines fault. Is that Lockyer with a weird double stretch? Terrible body shape and anticipation.

It seems to me that Morgan gets a call from Pearce/Sarr as they are waiting for the two Birmingham players to attack the space they are zonally marking. Albies even puts his right arm out to show both CB's where the forwards are going.
  • Options
    Anyway, slow motion doesn't do the speed and agility of the B'ham attack in the 93rd minute of the game. That would have caused havoc and a goal against most teams in the world! ;) 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    So Golfie, if Williams and Doughty could not continue, as Bowyer has told Crawley, what would your master plan have been last night then. Chucks was already on and Morgan replaced Williams which only left one attack minded player in Davison. And I'm not sure he's in the same league as Doughty or Williams at running with the ball. Believe it or you can only work with the tools at your disposal.
    I would have probably brought on Davison......or or least moved a couple of  the others further up the pitch. 

I'm not convinced that ALL 3 of the attacking players that were subbed couldn't have stayed on for a bit longer. I realise Doughty got a knock but he didn't look injured (I know I know) and the other 2 weren't "out on their feet". Funny how it's always the attacking players that can't last more than 70 mins but the defenders who get elbowed & bloodied stay on all game  🤔

• Options
    Pretty irrelevant now, but wasn't particularly impressed with Bellingham trying to get Phillips sent off by jumping into him lomg after the ball had been caught, bit lucky Pearce was there to pull Bellingham away.
  • Options
    And anyone moaning at Bonne for "missing" that 2nd chance had better watch the highlights of the Burnley match last night. Chris Wood (full international) missed from 3 yards out with no goalkeeper - heads it wide. Bonnes shot was saved.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Thanks for the response Golfie but when you're in a hole with a shovel I was always told to stop digging 😉
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Watching at pace, Pearce should be blasting that up field... or out for a corner.

https://youtu.be/Fiq2G2VLjH4
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Leuth said:
    Neither Sarr nor Purrington were getting near that
    Purrington might have if he'd been right footed. He certainly would have done if he'd got back quicker. 

Anyway, it was a bit of a freak goal. Pratley doing his hamstring at precisely the wrong moment, the cross narrowly eluding the outstretched legs of two of our defenders, the parry from Phillips falling kindly for Jutkiewicz , who then scuffs his 'shot' which somehow bounces over Phillips and eludes Purrington, who's trying to run round it so he can clear it with his left peg. Instead of which, he falls over.
    And reading Bowyer's interview with Cawley, the seeds of our downfall were sown with players' injuries and frailties necessitating the introduction of all of the wrong players at the wrong time, and not necessarily in the right order.
    You couldn't make it up.

Good thing is, I'm pretty sure we'll beat Wigan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    We made two big defensive mistakes in 100 odd minutes. Cullen for the penalty and nearly every defender could've done better with their body shape  for the goal including Dillon who had been excellent up until that spill. No way is a main striker, Morgan's man. 

We have conceded 5 goals in 7 games since the Mini season began and yet typical CL members are determine to name their scapegoat after the late equaliser. 

Yet a few of us (with one obvious exception) ask questions of a professional football manager in a respectful way and point out how strange the 79 minute, 3 subs were.

I would like to ask Williams and Doughty if they could have played on for a while longer,
    If they concur with the manager then I guess we accept that and realize we have the most brittle team in the championship.

Ps. Hull conceded 5 goals in 22 minutes against Wigan !!!

• Options
    Bellingham's last game?, off to Germany today for a £27m transfer
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Pratley injured,  another one of our rare players who has scored for us since the return 
    he’ll be a big miss   , He’s a warrior , maybe open up the way for some flair and creativity who knows the binary bores will kill you by torture one way or another 
  • Options
    Field is just as much a warrior and a far better player. The only way we miss out is that Field doesn't have the same aerial threat at set-pieces
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Field is just as much a warrior and a far better player. The only way we miss out is that Field doesn't have the same aerial threat at set-pieces
    All the more reason to include your hero The Nabster in Saturday's starting line up 😉.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    One day we’ll get 90+ Out of him 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Bellingham's last game?, off to Germany today for a £27m transfer

Why didn't he go yesterday to my favourite German team, Borussia Dortmund.
    Is the fenster öffnen ?
  • Options
    All irrelevant now but looking at that, I don't see it as pen. That's a shot from their striker which has gone wide so no foul even if Phillips catches him on the follow-through.
  • Options
    Field has looked good since I criticised him the other week. Not taking any credit for it :)
  • Options
    Field is an excellent defensive player, but contributes nothing further up the pitch, whereas Pratley is a bit more box to box