Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan | Sat 18 Jul | 12:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/aston-villa-loanee-could-make-charlton-athletic-return/

Andre Green could be back for the the Wigan game - as a player without a club in the current circumstances he really needs to step it up and put himself at the front of the shop window. 
    Would rather Green at LM than Williams. I'd prefer Williams at CAM.

I wouldn't mind a 4-5-1/4-4-1-1

Phillips
    Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Doughty
     Cullen | Field
    McGeady | Williams | Green
    Bonne
    I like that team but want Aneke up top to make life hell for their Centre Backs - Each time he's played his strength has made the opposition look weak
    Yeah maybe when Williams tires, Aneke comes on and we go 2 up top and focus on crossing more.
  • Options
    I did the away game, which I thought was one of the worst performances I had seen from a Charlton team at that time, how mistaken I was. But given that, I do not see this weak squad getting any thing from the game, so will go  Charlton 0  Wigan 4.
  • Options
    anyone reading some of the comments on the forum without knowing who we were playing Saturday might be forgiven for thinking we had Barcelona.

it's Wigan for christ sake - yes they had a good result in the week and are on a half decent run - but they ain't that good*

*I know neither are we before anyone points it out
    Did you go to the away game, that shows how good they are against us.
  • Options
    The last few results have almost done for us but somehow we still have a chance. 
    I cannot see us getting anything at Elland Road so for me this is definitely our last chance of staying up.
    1.1 and hope that other results go our way.

P.S.. 
    Many thanks for doing this again FA much appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MattF said:
    Pratley's confirmed out for the last two games with a hamstring injury 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/major-injury-setback-as-key-charlton-man-set-to-miss-rest-of-the-season/
    So Williams and Doughty werent tactical choices then

Thats awkward judging by the comments about Bowyer taking them off!! 
    Id be interested to know if all these incidents happened within the same phase of play?

Field apparantly come off so Pratley could contain Bellingham yet Bellingham was on the pitch over 15 mins before Field come off. LB decided to make a defensively shape minded sub the same time as 2 'forced' substitutions. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/aston-villa-loanee-could-make-charlton-athletic-return/

Andre Green could be back for the the Wigan game - as a player without a club in the current circumstances he really needs to step it up and put himself at the front of the shop window. 

Phillips
     Cullen | Field
    Bonne

I also prefer Williams at CAM, he's much more effective there instead of winning free kicks on the touchline in our half where we always seem to want to play it backwards.

Wigan seem to like to playing with wingers and one up top, much like your suggested line up. Whoever we play at that LB position will need to keep Jamal Lowe quiet, anyone know his preferred foot?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MattF said:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/major-injury-setback-as-key-charlton-man-set-to-miss-rest-of-the-season/

Field apparantly come off so Pratley could contain Bellingham
    If I was feeling particularly cruel, and if we go down and Bowyer leaves, I might say that this is his epitaph as Charlton manager
  • Options
    I have a funny feeling that we will get a 0-0 draw and Wigan fans will be bemoaning how is that possible after they scored 8 against Hull, but that will turn out to not be enough, because our hoodoo over Leeds will be broken by them and we will miss out by no more than a point? While we succumb to Leeds, Wigan will shock Fulham and Millwall will curse us with a point vs Huddersfield. This is all coming from a general optimist, but I think the last two games’ were the ‘saviours’ for our season and we have doubly blown it. Bad luck in game one, trying to defend a lead for too long in the second and that was pathetic. No reason to blame the players in the second, they tried there best, but flood your team for the last 20 mins with defensive players, what do you think you are going to get - largely defensive ‘bring on the pressure’ play. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    MattF said:

Field apparantly come off so Pratley could contain Bellingham
    If I was feeling particularly cruel, and if we go down and Bowyer leaves, I might say that this is his epitaph as Charlton manager
    No accounting for Pratley's hamstring flying out the back of his leg.
  • Options
    Their,  not there of course for the Grammar-philes  
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MattF said:

Id be interested to know if all these incidents happened within the same phase of play?

Field apparantly come off so Pratley could contain Bellingham yet Bellingham was on the pitch over 15 mins before Field come off. LB decided to make a defensively shape minded sub the same time as 2 'forced' substitutions. 
    Not trying to make excuses but I do wonder if the five subs yet only at three times doesnt help

Of course its the same for all teams yet wonder at times if three changes would have been enough last night to deal with Birmingham

Instead Bowyer has been making the decision to use all five because if it gets to the point where you've made all three stoppages and then have a player running on fumes then there is nothing that can be done about it

Its a new concept to an extent for all Premier League / Championship Managers and is probably creating a whole new tactical aspect to the game that they're having to adjust to

As I mentioned on another thread, substitutes themselves surely have to get used to the speed of the game and how its being played (It cant be as easy just sitting there watching to get a feel for the game) - Changing five players though and your effectively changing half the team that is on the pitch which is creating the risks that we're seeing, whilst the five changes will allow Bowyer to keep players fresher (The inability to rotate earlier in the season must play on his mind) but it does seem to be doing too much

Then again it would be a brave man to stick to just three subs when you do have options on the bench as if you lose still the question will be: "Well why didnt Bowyer make all the changes available to him"
  • Options
    MattF said:

Not trying to make excuses but I do wonder if the five subs yet only at three times doesnt help

Of course its the same for all teams yet wonder at times if three changes would have been enough last night to deal with Birmingham

Instead Bowyer has been making the decision to use all five because if it gets to the point where you've made all three stoppages and then have a player running on fumes then there is nothing that can be done about it

Its a new concept to an extent for all Premier League / Championship Managers and is probably creating a whole new tactical aspect to the game that they're having to adjust to
    I agree the last two seemed to be made out of choice rather than need, despite Bowyer's comments.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    I did the away game, which I thought was one of the worst performances I had seen from a Charlton team at that time, how mistaken I was. But given that, I do not see this weak squad getting any thing from the game, so will go  Charlton 0  Wigan 4.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49698060

I'd forgotten how poor we were in that match, I went up for that game confident that we would beat a struggling Wigan, instead we were awful. A full strength squad too, other than Taylor
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49698060

I'd forgotten how poor we were in that match, I went up for that game confident that we would beat a struggling Wigan, instead we were awful. A full strength squad too, other than Taylor
    They effectively did us with two set pieces, otherwise they were pretty ordinary themselves

Really wasnt the best game at the start
  • Options
    If Doughty isn't able to start, I'd be tempted to bring Sarr in to play 3 at the back and play JFC at left wing back
    With Field not starting many games on the trot I wonder if we'll see Forster-Caskey starting in the Midfield ahead of him 
  • Options
    more attacking 3-4-3 for me
    Phillips
    Lockyer  Pearce  Sarr
    Matthews  Cullen  Field  Purrington
    Williams  Bonne  Doughty

Need some good players to enter fray late in game, Aneke, Mcgeady, maybe Hemed.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:

Phillips
     Cullen | Field
    Bonne
    I like that team, not sure about Bonne/Aneke. Aneke offers more from what i have seen, but Bonne has that knack of scoring. So perhaps start Bonne and bring on Aneke, or the other way round i dont know lol Good team though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-0 defeat . We will go to Leeds needing a result 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    msomerton said:
    anyone reading some of the comments on the forum without knowing who we were playing Saturday might be forgiven for thinking we had Barcelona.

it's Wigan for christ sake - yes they had a good result in the week and are on a half decent run - but they ain't that good*

*I know neither are we before anyone points it out
    Did you go to the away game, that shows how good they are against us.
    I went to the away game and we weren't up to our early season form for
    sure. We got done at two set pieces by their central defender Dunkley, apart from that I can't recall us being overwhelmed more a case of us being masters of our own destiny. Here's what Bowyer said after the game on 21 September;
    Charlton Athletic manager Lee Bowyer:

"That's the worst we've played since I've been in charge - certainly the first 45 minutes anyway. We were so bad, we couldn't put three passes together.

"We normally pride ourselves on our set-pieces, but their centre-half scores a volley from inside the six-yard box, which shouldn't be possible.

"Then he has a free header from inside the six-yard box, which shouldn't be possible.

"Even after that we created enough chances to have got something from the game."

• Options
    If Doughty isn't able to start, I'd be tempted to bring Sarr in to play 3 at the back and play JFC at left wing back
    With Field not starting many games on the trot I wonder if we'll see Forster-Caskey starting in the Midfield ahead of him 
    I hope not. Surely now is the time to play your best players from the start. 
  • Options
    If this is as much a foregone conclusion as most on here think then double your beer money to drown your sorrows by lumping on them at evens
  • Options
    If this is as much a foregone conclusion as most on here think then double your beer money to drown your sorrows by lumping on them at evens
    I'd do that just to jynx them so we get something out of the game, in an ideal world. Although i do sometimes think like that obviously it makes no difference just softens the blow. 
  • Options
    10-0 Charlton and the players do a lap of honour at the end.
  • Options
    10-0 Charlton and the players do a lap of honour at the end.
    We need a Love button  <3
  • Options
    Winner takes all in this one. We don't usually do well against Wigan.