Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan | Sat 18 Jul | 12:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    The bench is so attacking, options are there if we want to go for it. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Expect Williams, McGeady, Aneke all to come on with a big chunk of the game to go. Surprised Aneke isn’t starting, but Williams and McGeady not starting isn’t a surprise to me.

Big impact from those in the second half.
    No excuse that the subs wont be the right ones of each of them come on

Each should have the talent to put their foot on the ball and slow it down for us if we're in a winning position

If not and we're drawing then they've got the ability to change the game in our favour
  • Options
    Weird team. 
    3-5-2 with Forster-Caskey behind the Strikers perhaps

I quite like that team, its unexpected... Has Bowyer spotted something to exploit in the way that Wigan play
    I like us playing 3-5-2 as it frees up Doughty to be more attacking as Naby can cover that side, and Naby can also be the one passing from the back (instead of Pearce and Lockyer just launching it)

A lot of attacking options on the bench, Green, Aneke, Hemed, Mcgeady and Williams
  • Options
    Davison is not dissimilar to Bonne in that he works very hard, and will always have an attempt on goal if the opportunity presents itself.
    It is what it is as Bowyer would say.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I like the team apart from Davison. Would rather Hemed, who hasn't been great but allows Chuks to be an impact sub, or Chuks, from the start. Otherwise there's a lot of quality on the ball in that team which we've desperately lacked. 

Desperately hope Davison proves me wrong, obviously. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Sage said:
    ‘If we want to go for it.‘

Surely when winning is the only option we should be wanting to go for it from minute 1....

Its not a great side but then again I don’t think we have a great option whatever players we pick to go on the pitch. He may as well try something.

See you on the post match thread. This is only going to go one way, so gonna stay away from it, and take a look at the mood post match in a couple of hours.
  • Options
    Has Bowyer and his team seen something in the way Wigan set up, or is this a last roll of the dice? Tbf, the start of the season excluded every time we put out a team I think is strong and should get a result we don't, and it always seems to be the ropey teams on paper capable of a few surprises.
  • Options
    1.0 Charlton 
    Davison comes age
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weird team. 
    3-5-2 with Forster-Caskey behind the Strikers perhaps

I quite like that team, its unexpected... Has Bowyer spotted something to exploit in the way that Wigan play
    I like us playing 3-5-2 as it frees up Doughty to be more attacking as Naby can cover that side, and Naby can also be the one passing from the back (instead of Pearce and Lockyer just launching it)

A lot of attacking options on the bench, Green, Aneke, Hemed, Mcgeady and Williams
    Hopefully we wont need them!! -

Bring on three attackers: Aneke | McGeady | Williams for their experience and strength to hold up the ball and attack Wigan if need be

Then you've got Purrington and Oshilaja who can shore up the defence and add fresh legs if we need to

Easy to say now before a ball has been kicked but the sort of changes I'd like to see are:

Davison > Aneke
    Field > McGeady or Oshilaja
    Forster-Caskey > Williams
    Doughty > Purrington

Bonne > Hemed, if we have to make a third change late on
  • Options
    Maybe. Just maybe, bows has seen something from davison at sparrow lane that has earnt him that starting spot.

Or maybe he is just taking a last ditch gamble because the rest of our strikers are complete chuff.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Davison is not dissimilar to Bonne in that he works very hard, and will always have an attempt on goal if the opportunity presents itself.
    It is what it is as Bowyer would say.
    Davison has a physical side to him that Bonne doesnt... I have no faith in Macca winning a 50/50 header, Josh I do
  • Options
    Who will be taking the short walk of Wigan pier.

Two of Charlton,Wigan,Hull and Luton are not going to be playing in The Championship next season.

Darren Bent the hero 1-0 or Iain Dowie the disillusion 3-2 last game.

All four teams should be up for todays games but two will sink.

As for the results the main one for me is still to come.......EFL THATS THE BIG ONE .

Even when the season has finished the season will not be over.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Surely when winning is the only option we should be wanting to go for it from minute 1....

Its not a great side but then again I don’t think we have a great option whatever players we pick to go on the pitch. He may as well try something.

See you on the post match thread. This is only going to go one way, so gonna stay away from it, and take a look at the mood post match in a couple of hours.
    I don't mind that. If anything the problem we had vs Brum was that we started with the attacking options, but then had few like for like replacements on the bench other than Chuks.
  • Options
    Christ that’s a big call putting a kid up front. Might be inspired
  • Options
    Decent team that. 1-0 win incoming!!! Davison the hero
  • Options
    You never know, Davison may have gone to Bow and said he really wants to play, and Bow would’ve said well show me in training, and he could’ve been doing the business in training, looking sharp.

Big pressure on him, but if he wants it, he can cause then problems. Then we can bring on Aneke in the second half to bully their defenders when they’re getting more tired.

Williams had cramp on Wednesday so should come on second half and we know how good he is at either making things happen, or winning free kicks to slow the game down. 
  • Options
    Baffled at him dropping/resting McGeady, thought he had one of his best games for us the other night.

Also don't see how Davison warrants a start ahead of Aneke. Guess he must feel Aneke is better as an impact sub.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If nothing else it suggests that Bows will make maximum subs again as part of the plan.
    We know we will compete, we just need to try to make chances and be clinical.
    It won't be 0-8, but my head says 0-2.
    I'll go with my heart 1-1
  • Options
    Hardly surprised they're not changing a side that won 8-0!
  • Options
    Hardly surprised they're not changing a side that won 8-0!
    Good to hear... At risk of a bit of over confidence perhaps?
  • Options
    Disappointed to not see Aneke starting as he looked great when he came on midweek; McGeady looked much better midweek and thought he'd retain his starting place
  • Options
    I'm happy with giving Davison a go. He's fresh and he will make a nuisance of himself

You imagine that Wigan won't know that much about him either
  • Options
    Davison has scored more Charlton goals than Hemed.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Rarely go on the post match thread to be honest.

But the point of going for it would be if we are drawing and we want to throw bodies forward and change momentum for us. To have those options on the bench is far better than having defensive players on the bench and needing to freshen it up. 
  • Options
    IF we get ahead, we have to go for a second before we sit off them - we just can't hold onto leads. Pleased we have some attacking outlets to come on if that opportunity presents itself
  • Options
    Interesting how we've gone from playing the diamond at their place to 3-5-2 in this fixture... Lesson learnt from Bowyer in that game perhaps?

Phillips
    Oshilaja | Lockyer | Sarr | Purrington
    Cullen | Pratley | Gallagher
    Williams
    Hemed | Leko

Was the one that lined up at their place
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Good team until the strikers. Should have been Chuks/Hemed imo. But who knows how training is going
    Chuks and Hemed 1 goal all season