Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boris Johnson announces football fans should be allowed back into stadiums by October

Comments

• Options
    msomerton said:
    This will have dire consequences, as seen in the USA already, A problem for sport will also be the local lock downs when viral out breaks occur in a town or city, How do you get the season done when games will be postponed at the last moment and players of a team in such a place will not be allowed to travel.
    I imagine the teams will travel, just not 100'000s of fans 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    This will have dire consequences, as seen in the USA already, A problem for sport will also be the local lock downs when viral out breaks occur in a town or city, How do you get the season done when games will be postponed at the last moment and players of a team in such a place will not be allowed to travel.
    Was thinking that whilst reading Vallance comments if social distancing and these methods are going to be a long time what guarantees does anyone has. 

Could book to go Stoke away and game gets cancelled due to local lockdowns, or track and trace means have to isolate at home. (Getting to an away game next season looks unrealistic but point stands)

Zero confidence in buying anything which has specific time and date on anything.

• Options
    Think it's extremely unlikely there'll be away fans in any ground for the foreseeable future (at least not an away end) 
  • Options
    As well as fans not travelling. I was pointing out if social distancing relaxed then players and their families will be coming into contact with people on a regular basis. So would be part of a local no travel ban in the case of a local viral outbreak. Unless players are kept in a bio safe bubble from now on.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

At a news conference at Downing Street, the prime minister said the plan "remains conditional" on continued progress in controlling the virus and preventing a second wave of infections that could overwhelm the NHS.

"It is my strong and sincere hope that we will be able to review the outstanding restrictions and allow a more significant return to normality from November at the earliest - possibly in time for Christmas," he said.

• Options
    It is ok as an aspiration, but we have to see how things pan out and shouldn't be getting our hopes up. I would be surprised if large crowds will be possible this year.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Was thinking that whilst reading Vallance comments if social distancing and these methods are going to be a long time what guarantees does anyone has. 

Could book to go Stoke away and game gets cancelled due to local lockdowns, or track and trace means have to isolate at home. (Getting to an away game next season looks unrealistic but point stands)

Zero confidence in buying anything which has specific time and date on anything.

I wouldn't worry about going to away games any time soon, I'd presume its home Fans only for the foreseeable future. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:

Who will you be watching play Stoke? B)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I suppose if you didn't allow away fans, you could potentially socially distance at the Valley with a crowd of 5k or just ST holders. But there would still be an issue about fans using transport, congregating and getting in and out of the stadium. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Initially grounds will only be allowed to have reduced capacities, and then extended over periods of time.  I am certain this will be the case.
    However, it will be almost impossible to retain social distancing.  I do not know what the answers are, it is all very difficult.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How will they decide which fans get to attend?

Admittedly won't be an issue for us if we're in league one with a third full stadium, but what will they do at premier league grounds where almost the entire home support have season tickets?

Do a lottery for who gets to attend?
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with what the government has said on this. It's entirely sensible to PLAN for a return to some sort of normality in October

What's the alternative, saying grounds will be closed for the next 12 months, irrespective of the level of infection in the country?
    Keeping the grounds closed but then suddenly opening them at a week's notice?

If/when we get a second wave or a localised resurgence then act on it then. 

And the US situation isn't comparable anyway, as many states came out of the initial lockdown WAY earlier than we did, before the virus was under control.
    A post that is far too sensible.
  • Options
    I think the planning is wise from the perspective of the authorities and clubs. What it is important to be aware of is the chances of this happening are slim realistically and I am not so sure it is good to raise expectations. Having said that, there are more important things. We know very large gatherings are significant risks sadly.
  • Options
    I think the planning is wise from the perspective of the authorities and clubs. What it is important to be aware of is the chances of this happening are slim realistically and I am not so sure it is good to raise expectations. Having said that, there are more important things. We know very large gatherings are significant risks sadly.
    But you can phase in crowds, which is what might happen. 27000 in the Valley is an awful lot more dangerous than say 5000, spread across all 4 stands. If we're back in the Checkatrade (or whatever it's called) next season I imagine getting in won't be a problem...

By then schools are meant to be back, so it would seem bizarre if children can go to school, holidaymakers can fly to Benidorm, we can drop until we drop in Bluewater, but nobody can watch live sport.

Tough choices for the big PL clubs if they have to operate at 1/4 capacity say -  Arsenal have 46000 ST holders at the moment - but while I would be annoyed if I was one of the ones missing out, overall it's better to have some spectators there than none.
  • Options
    I'm 99% certain grounds will open as planned, just need varney to get the keys now and il buy for whenever we are allowed in. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Am I the only one on here that if the game was on at the at the Valley today, would have no reservations about going regardless of the number of people attending or the seating arrangements?
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Am I the only one on here that if the game was on at the at the Valley today, would have no reservations about going, regardless of the number of people attending or the seating arrangements?
    Me too 
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Am I the only one on here that if the game was on at the at the Valley today, would have no reservations about going, regardless of the number of people attending or the seating arrangements?
    I'd consider it, though would wear a mask. If anything I'd be more concerned with the long public transport journey I normally take, so might drive

The East and West stands are fairly sedate, it's not as if it's all limbs when we score!
  • Options
    It’s how concourses operate, the enclosed ones are going to be problematic, especially in the winter 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    It’s how concourses operate, the enclosed ones are going to be problematic, especially in the winter 
    Agreed. The East and JS are good in that respect
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Am I the only one on here that if the game was on at the at the Valley today, would have no reservations about going regardless of the number of people attending or the seating arrangements?
    I'm pretty sure that there would be thousands who'd go, but that is precisely the problem. In a pandemic situation the health of others that needs to be considered, not just your own. I don't blame you or any other football fan for wanting to go, but I do expect a government that puts the well being of its citizens above all else, incumbent in that I expect the Prime Minister to lead us in a cautionary manner.  Some hope, eh?
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Million percent. Booked up to go Copenhagen in September to watch England in nations league on the off chances match is going ahead.
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Me as well.
  • Options
    Who cares what that tosspot says anyway. He hasn't a clue about anything or anyone. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Redskin said:
    Me as well.
    No, you're not the only one but ssssshhhhh, you're not allowed to make your own decisions anymore.
  • Options
    When is a man allowed to have a game of Wiff Waff?
  • Options
    On the pitch and it feels as though Managers / Players are completely ignoring the rules about coming into contact where necessary now

Watching the highlights on Quest last night and you had players going full celebration style when scoring (we were no different with our second goal), which is fair enough at times as emotions in football can make you forget everything in the moment

But then after the Luton / Hull game you had the Management, staff, players all shaking hands with each other

Has all that been relaxed that I don't know about? 
  • Options
    not read all the thread but told it will be a 15000 capacity at the valley, season ticket holders only and no away fans so i dont think anybody need worry about not getting in