Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL statement: ongoing disciplinary proceedings

124»

Comments

• Options
    So are the EFL going to use Wigan's appeal as the excuse to kick the penalty into next season? I can see it being in every parties interest (other than Wigan's relegation rivals obviously) to drag things out for as long as possible.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    That EFL statement is so very disheartening.  From it's poor choice of words, the obvious disdain they hold for us mere "stakeholders" through to the description of the actual process.

They say they announce the charges but they really shouldn't:  just the end result.

Here's why.  When I did investigations for the FSA (as it was then called) unless there were extenuating circumstances there would not even be an announcement that an investigation was on-going.  The reason for this was simple:  any information that started the investigation, however plausible it sounded, could have been false and malicious.  The mere fact that an investigation was underway could have been enough to have killed off a business or severely damaged it and that would have been unfair on the business owners, customers and all its employees.

The same applies to a football club.  But the EFL proudly announces that it is investigating a club!  The result:  "stakeholders" won't buy season tickets; sponsors will walk; players will not consider joining; current players will not want to stay;  etc, etc.   Yet if the EFL investigation comes to naught, all that damage is done for no reason.  It is an outrage.  They really are utterly useless. 
    Your spot on.  Its partly our fault as fans though isn't it?

Everyone demanding the EFL "do something", then jumping up and down when the something that's done isn't what they wanted?

The Wigan situation crystallises this perfectly.  Are Wigan in administration? Yes therefore they should get -12 points.  You could argue that for it to be a meaningful penalty if they stay up by 13 points they should start next season on minus 12 else there is no "punishment".

At the same time who is it punishing? Not the "owner" as he has done a bunk.  So it becomes punative against the fans, players and staff.  Not to mention local business etc etc.

Do I think the EFL are very good, no they obviously aren't.  But it's not as clear cut as that.  A lot of the time they are dammed if they do and if they don't. 
  • Options
    So basically we win Wednesday we ain't safe all depends how the efl are feeling and what they want it to be. Sounds dodgy to me. 
    How do you draw that conclusion? 

We win Wednesday and we're safe regardless. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafcfan said:
    That EFL statement is so very disheartening.  From it's poor choice of words, the obvious disdain they hold for us mere "stakeholders" through to the description of the actual process.

They say they announce the charges but they really shouldn't:  just the end result.

Here's why.  When I did investigations for the FSA (as it was then called) unless there were extenuating circumstances there would not even be an announcement that an investigation was on-going.  The reason for this was simple:  any information that started the investigation, however plausible it sounded, could have been false and malicious.  The mere fact that an investigation was underway could have been enough to have killed off a business or severely damaged it and that would have been unfair on the business owners, customers and all its employees.

The same applies to a football club.  But the EFL proudly announces that it is investigating a club!  The result:  "stakeholders" won't buy season tickets; sponsors will walk; players will not consider joining; current players will not want to stay;  etc, etc.   Yet if the EFL investigation comes to naught, all that damage is done for no reason.  It is an outrage.  They really are utterly useless. 
    Your spot on.  Its partly our fault as fans though isn't it?

Everyone demanding the EFL "do something", then jumping up and down when the something that's done isn't what they wanted?

The Wigan situation crystallises this perfectly.  Are Wigan in administration? Yes therefore they should get -12 points.  You could argue that for it to be a meaningful penalty if they stay up by 13 points they should start next season on minus 12 else there is no "punishment".

At the same time who is it punishing? Not the "owner" as he has done a bunk.  So it becomes punative against the fans, players and staff.  Not to mention local business etc etc.

Do I think the EFL are very good, no they obviously aren't.  But it's not as clear cut as that.  A lot of the time they are dammed if they do and if they don't. 
    I don't think you can argue that. Wigan are trying to stay up despite a big handicap. Should they have been deducted the points next season, they could still stay up or make the play offs. If you are going to deduct points and not automatically relegate, there will be an opportunity to escape. They have been punished but can escape. If the punishment of a 12 point deduction was made after they were 13 points clear, they clearly would not have been punished but this is not the case here.

As for Wednesday and Derby, both are ongoing cases. So by the EFL statement, their punishments could still affect the relegation outcome whenever they are known. You would also expect that their deductions (if found guilty) will be applied next season, if they do not relegate them this season.
  • Options
    Anyway, when we're 5-0 up on Wednesday, we won't have to worry about what punishments Wigan and the Massives get
  • Options
    I'd settle for 3 nil.
  • Options
    The EFL is a joke as is football.
  • Options
    Hope the MP's who have been vocal on this bat one back the EFL's way after their ridiculous statement
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    according to a statement read on talkSPORT, the Wigan situation will be resolved 'after Wednesday's games' .. Unquote
    Some people take this to mean Wednesday evening's football fixtures.

What the Football League really means by "Wednesday's games" is actually the stalling, filibustering, and general twattishness of the Massives' appeals, counter-appeals etc. by which time we could be part-way through the 2027/28 season.
  • Options
    Good artical here that kind of explains the situation, I am sure there will be more twists along the way but reading it we might not know come August?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53484188
  • Options
    I reckon the EFL concluded all their verdicts on punishment and locked the results in a safe two weeks ago.  The safe will be opened by a smiley celebrity in a glitzy ceremony on prime time TV. 

First up Leeds United.  You thought you were going up?  Wronnnng! you've been a bit racist this year... haven't you?

Rejoin us after the break for news on Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County, Wigan Athletic and Charlton Athletic. Lots of other surprises including the chance to win a family season ticket at Carlisle United! 
    "Lee Bowyer, I'm sorry you got the answer wrong, and you lose all your points. Lets see what you could have won, Bully's Special Prize... a Range Rover!"
  • Options
    Punishments should be a deterrant,if clubs get away with cheating,more will say,lets have a go every other bastard has got away with it,you will have the final nail in the coffin for any club silly enough to play by the rules.Can these dopes at EFL not see this.
  • Options

Peterborough United can confirm it has been charged by the EFL for breaching regulations 2.5 & 2.6 of the Owners and Directors’ Test Submission,  in respect of the appointment of David Paton to the role of Chief Executive Officer at the Club in January 2022.

Mr Paton has been suspended from his role as Chief Executive Officer, pending the conclusion of an EFL investigation into these matters. The Club has co-operated fully with the EFL in its investigation.  None of the owners of the Club, have been charged with any breaches.

Whilst the EFL investigation remains on-going Leighton Mitchell has been appointed as Interim Chief Executive Officer of the Club.

https://www.theposh.com/news/official-club-statement-1

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/september/efl-statement-peterborough-united/