Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any House DJ's (or any other genres about) ?

During Lockdown I've been practising mixing House Music and found some great tips by a guy called Phil Harris. If you search for him on YouTube you'll find him but I can't recommend him highly enough as his videos are straight to the point and makes things sound so easy.

I'm hoping to become a House DJ one day and turn it into a career. I know someone quite well and has made a huge success of herself, shes done mixes for radios like Select FM and has done exciting gigs including a groove cruise around the Carribean. Her name is Lizzie Curious if you want to look her up.

Anyway, here's my profile with 4 House Mixes I've recorded.

Is there's any other Charlton fans on here who are into DJing and have recorded any mixes you'd like to share?

I'm also hoping to learn Ableton which I understand most DJ's use. For those who are not familiar with Ableton, it's an advanced music creation software. Once I'm familiar with the software I'll start creating my own songs....I'm hoping to do a Charlton related track eventually :)

Comments

• Options
    @Addickted (left) and me had a decent career back in the day

• Options
    I can do bungalow music.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:
    During Lockdown I've been practising mixing House Music and found some great tips by a guy called Phil Harris. If you search for him on YouTube you'll find him but I can't recommend him highly enough as his videos are straight to the point and makes things sound so easy.

I'm hoping to become a House DJ one day and turn it into a career. I know someone quite well and has made a huge success of herself, shes done mixes for radios like Select FM and has done exciting gigs including a groove cruise around the Carribean. Her name is Lizzie Curious if you want to look her up.

Is there's any other Charlton fans on here who are into DJing and have recorded any mixes you'd like to share?

I'm also hoping to learn Ableton which I understand most DJ's use. For those who are not familiar with Ableton, it's an advanced music creation software. Once I'm familiar with the software I'll start creating my own songs....I'm hoping to do a Charlton related track eventually :)

Will give you a follow on Soundcloud mate!

Few pals of mine have had the same idea in lockdown, but have gone down either the techno or disco route.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    DiscoCAFC said:

Will give you a follow on Soundcloud mate!

Few pals of mine have had the same idea in lockdown, but have gone down either the techno or disco route.

Thanks mate.

Have they recorded any mixes and published them? If so let me know where I can find them.
  • Options
    I reckon a bit of House would’ve gone down well in Crossbars 😲
  • Options
    More into production at the moment using logic Pro x and a tonne of third party plugins. Have DJ'd years ago at ministry of sound and other local places, including a residency in Covent Garden. Would love to play out more at more 'proper' nights rather than the commercial standard type bars/clubs.

I'll get you on soundcloud when I get home. I'm https://soundcloud.com/dave-bond 
  • Options
    SexyDave said:
    More into production at the moment using logic Pro x and a tonne of third party plugins. Have DJ'd years ago at ministry of sound and other local places, including a residency in Covent Garden. Would love to play out more at more 'proper' nights rather than the commercial standard type bars/clubs.

I'll get you on soundcloud when I get home. I'm https://soundcloud.com/dave-bond 
    Please tell me you introduce yourself as "Bond...Dave Bond"  :-)
  • Options
    Bond ....Sexy Bond
  • Options
    SexyDave said:

Says someone who is a 42 carrot plonker and would close on St Valentines days. :)
  • Options
    Back in the day I was a DJ of the "Oops Upside Your Head"/ "Hi Ho Silver Lining" / "New York New York" type. The only "mixing" I used to do was putting the wrong singles in the wrong sleeves but I'm sure this new type of DJing can't be that hard. Can it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SexyDave said:

I don’t use soundcloud. Just seen you’re on Apple Music too. Some epic tracks on there, Powder Train my favourite so far. Thanks for sharing. 
  • Options
    SexyDave said:

Never gets old that one ;-)

• Options
    SexyDave said:

I don’t use soundcloud. Just seen you’re on Apple Music too. Some epic tracks on there, Powder Train my favourite so far. Thanks for sharing. 
    Thank you for taking the time to listen and for your feedback! Yes I have quite a few tracks signed to some small to medium sized labels. I have a remix coming out for a more established artist soon after my remix was selected from a remix competition which I'm excited about!
  • Options
    Used to mix trance back in the day, more of a hobby than anything else. Sold my decks and records a couple of years ago. Still listen to some house now, been playing the new Luttrell album a lot recently which I think is fantastic, his production is top notch. 
    @SexyDave listened to the snippets, definitely a couple of trancey vibes in there! Good luck with the remix release, be interested to hear who it's for. 
    @DiscoCAFC all the best with the mixing career! 

• Options
    One day we will get an epic @DiscoCAFC and @SexyDave collab ;)
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Used to mix trance back in the day, more of a hobby than anything else. Sold my decks and records a couple of years ago. Still listen to some house now, been playing the new Luttrell album a lot recently which I think is fantastic, his production is top notch. 
    @SexyDave listened to the snippets, definitely a couple of trancey vibes in there! Good luck with the remix release, be interested to hear who it's for. 

Thank you also for taking to time to listen to my tracks. Trance was my first big inspiration and my gateway to electronic music. You've probably not heard of him, but the remix is for Adrian Oblanca. He has 11k followers Instagram, 7.5k Facebook... So he's quite established. Has releases on some big techno labels. 
  • Options
    SexyDave said:
    Talal said:

Thank you also for taking to time to listen to my tracks. Trance was my first big inspiration and my gateway to electronic music. You've probably not heard of him, but the remix is for Adrian Oblanca. He has 11k followers Instagram, 7.5k Facebook... So he's quite established. Has releases on some big techno labels. 
    You're right I've not heard of him but that doesn’t mean much. What track of his? I'll take a listen to the original and yours when it's available. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    SexyDave said:
    Talal said:

You're right I've not heard of him but that doesn’t mean much. What track of his? I'll take a listen to the original and yours when it's available. 
    It's not been released yet. They will all be released as an EP on 27th August. Track is called Mid Substance. I'll chuck a link for beatport on here when it's available for pre order, you can get a preview from there :) 
  • Options
    Oi Oi , great hobby to get into m8 I brought my first set of decks in 91 & still have some now.
    With the risk of sounding ancient I would advise to start with vinyl, it’s all very digital now but to learn the craft it’s the best way to start.

i started off back in the early days of rave with hardcore & have gone through most genres of dance & hip hop from gabba to d&b ,house , trance etc but really got into turntablism about 10 years ago & now play all of it together with a background of breakbeat & old skool hip hop after getting fed up of the pigeon holing of styles & genres.

whilst it’s not house I would recommend having a look at (look & listen) to DJ Yoda , Jaguar skills , and even jazzy Jeff (yep that one!) they are real craftsman and show just what you can do with sound & all the equipment available, the old DMC world mixing championship & the more recent red bull freestyle championships on YouTube are essential viewing to see how a DJ should be working , too many DJs (also a great act!) just got in a rut of seamlessly blending one track into the other & became very stale , I’d use as prime examples radio ones old dance line up of Pete tong , judge jules( caught playing pre recorded usb set at live gig)  ,Danny Rampling (legend at one point I know) etc but I think you should be able to hear the mixing and a well executed blatant bashing of the fader beats a mellow blend where you weren’t even aware the track had changed every time .

Scratching is a lost art in house & can add an extra level ,with modern technology you can live sample & manipulate sounds like never before & you can live remix tracks and bring people’s favourites to them in ways they’ve never heard & put a smile on there face with your new take & they will be amazed to know you were doing it with the original.

i could go on & on about it as it’s my life passion (alongside the obvious cafc) & if you wana know anything music or equipment give me a shout .

Like anything you do I’d say do it properly and start with the basics & really learn the craft ,read “last night a DJ saved my life “ as a starting point ,as there’s so much more to it than people think , be original & try different things together outside your comfort zone , there are no two tracks that can’t be mixed together & sound good.

have fun with it & if it bites ya it will consume your life!, I’ll have a listen on sound cloud when the mrs has gone to bed.
    COYR
  • Options
    Oi Oi , great hobby to get into m8 I brought my first set of decks in 91 & still have some now.
    With the risk of sounding ancient I would advise to start with vinyl, it’s all very digital now but to learn the craft it’s the best way to start.

i started off back in the early days of rave with hardcore & have gone through most genres of dance & hip hop from gabba to d&b ,house , trance etc but really got into turntablism about 10 years ago & now play all of it together with a background of breakbeat & old skool hip hop after getting fed up of the pigeon holing of styles & genres.

whilst it’s not house I would recommend having a look at (look & listen) to DJ Yoda , Jaguar skills , and even jazzy Jeff (yep that one!) they are real craftsman and show just what you can do with sound & all the equipment available, the old DMC world mixing championship & the more recent red bull freestyle championships on YouTube are essential viewing to see how a DJ should be working , too many DJs (also a great act!) just got in a rut of seamlessly blending one track into the other & became very stale , I’d use as prime examples radio ones old dance line up of Pete tong , judge jules( caught playing pre recorded usb set at live gig)  ,Danny Rampling (legend at one point I know) etc but I think you should be able to hear the mixing and a well executed blatant bashing of the fader beats a mellow blend where you weren’t even aware the track had changed every time .

Scratching is a lost art in house & can add an extra level ,with modern technology you can live sample & manipulate sounds like never before & you can live remix tracks and bring people’s favourites to them in ways they’ve never heard & put a smile on there face with your new take & they will be amazed to know you were doing it with the original.

i could go on & on about it as it’s my life passion (alongside the obvious cafc) & if you wana know anything music or equipment give me a shout .

Like anything you do I’d say do it properly and start with the basics & really learn the craft ,read “last night a DJ saved my life “ as a starting point ,as there’s so much more to it than people think , be original & try different things together outside your comfort zone , there are no two tracks that can’t be mixed together & sound good.

have fun with it & if it bites ya it will consume your life!, I’ll have a listen on sound cloud when the mrs has gone to bed.
    COYR
    Coincidently i bought my 1st decks in 91, but was only 15 at the time and they were a cheap version of Technics that i bought in New Cross. Took me a while to save up for some 1210s but i did it. Mainly mixed hardcore and drum n bass, a little bit of jungle,happy hardcore and trance but fell out of it when the garage scene started getting violent.
    Played on a few pirate stations back in the day and was pretty good at setting up equipment by the time i was 18 ,was always having to rush out at night getting calls that the DTI were on to us lol but i always found a new roof to set up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

COYR
    Coincidently i bought my 1st decks in 91, but was only 15 at the time and they were a cheap version of Technics that i bought in New Cross. Took me a while to save up for some 1210s but i did it. Mainly mixed hardcore and drum n bass, a little bit of jungle,happy hardcore and trance but fell out of it when the garage scene started getting violent.
    Played on a few pirate stations back in the day and was pretty good at setting up equipment by the time i was 18 ,was always having to rush out at night getting calls that the DTI were on to us lol but i always found a new roof to set up.
    I was 15 in 91 too & also started with 1210 copies & pirate stations lol good times.
    know what u mean with things turning violent & it put me off going out to drum & bass nights , I used to b Kent bound but loved it at the lazerdrome in rye lane Peckham & labyrinth dalston lane hackney but it all got so moody so I found myself more at techno & house nights because of the vibe rather than the music, old hardcore is coming back now & it’s great I’m almost back in fashion!
  • Options
    We probably bumped into each other and had a hug lol i grew up in Peckham. Was a regular at Lazerdrome. Also went to Dalston a lot and the island at Ilford. Bugsbys way had some great rave ups too back in the day.
    I was in a shoe shop today, think it was Office, and they were playing a breakbeat song with a sample from an old 1996 tune i knew. I was a fool and asked the girl at the counter whats this thats playing. No idea she said and that was that 
  • Options
    We probably bumped into each other and had a hug lol i grew up in Peckham. Was a regular at Lazerdrome. Also went to Dalston a lot and the island at Ilford. Bugsbys way had some great rave ups too back in the day.
    I was in a shoe shop today, think it was Office, and they were playing a breakbeat song with a sample from an old 1996 tune i knew. I was a fool and asked the girl at the counter whats this thats playing. No idea she said and that was that 
    Should of really confused her & asked her to rewind the tape a bit
  • Options
    Been DJ’ing since 1993 and have played at Ministry of Sound, Pacha, Heaven and all over the west end and beyond. Was also lucky enough to play Bestival in 2010 and also did a summer season in Turkey and some club nights in the states.

Also did many gigs with Lizzie Curious (referring to the original poster haha)

All I would say is find your sound...dont just play the 10 biggest house sounds of the month from Traxsource or whatever, everyone does that.

I’ve always lent towards the more soulful vocal funky stuff which has served me well as promoters know what they are getting from me and they can leave the peak time stuff to the others.

Happy to help with any questions etc you may have and good luck with it....best feeling in the world having the dance floor in the palm of your hand!

• Options
    Looks like we r getting towards a complete charlton lineup ! If only we had something to celebrate, might need a benefit gig soon though
  • Options
    I do beat box

• Options
    Good mixes mate. That's my gym choons sorted for the week!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Good mixes mate. That's my gym choons sorted for the week!
    Try some Gabba for your workout!!

I do beat box

I absolutely love a good beat boxer.

ur not Michael Winslow are you (police academy)
  • Options
    @Ketman takes some beating as a house DJ 

Treat your ears and listen to his show on Friday evenings 

https://www.academy-of-sound.co.uk/