Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Atmosphere at grounds

Comments

• Options
    Was at Uni in the late 1980's in Liverpool.

The Kop was amazing then, and amazing to watch Charlton play there and lose unfortunatley.  Great atmosphere and £3.5 to get in.
    Everton not so good against Charlton, but saw great atmospheres against Villa and Arsenal - we also beat them at Easter in that period.

Wigan - how many have you been to Springfield Park?  Saw Wolves play them there, must have been 400 Wigan and 4000 Wolves fans at that game.

Man Utd singing anti-Fergie songs back then.

• Options
    cafctom said:
    The New Den should be nowhere near the bottom 5. Even if you don’t like their fans, at least you know you will actually get an atmosphere there.

Nothing I’ve experienced has been worse than MK Dons. Though it has been run close by the new Colchester stadium, as well as Wigan 

Fulham is bad, but at least the stadium has a bit of character. 

Best atmosphere I’ve been part of on an away day was Sheffield United in the FA Cup. Obviously not the way we wanted it to be, but that place went absolutely bezerk when their goals went in.

cafctom said:
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    3/ spurs (only been once, was expecting something special. Was disappointed)
    4/ Gillingham 
    5/ Charlton. And not just putting that because we got a mention above. Nicknamed The Valium by our fans. Have sat in the away end on many occasions and barely heard a peep from the home stands, in what is a local derby. Very strange. 

I’ve always thought that millwalls away noise is pretty poor, you make that stupid noise that sounds like a sheep getting stuck on a fence once or twice a game but that’s it.
    Yeah rubbish....

https://youtu.be/TQPSI0fXqcs
    Why are there empty seats in the away end?
    People hanging around the bar and concourses chatting more than likely. Also just standing in aisles. We don’t tend to sit in our allocated seats. We’ve always sold out at your place and do at every London ground we visit. 

As an aside, someone on Millwall online once claimed that Charlton have never sold out the home ends in a London Derby outside the PL, surely that can’t be right? 
    Sadly I think it’s probably true. Can probably count on one hand the amount of non-fiver games we’ve sold out at home in the last 10 years.

Wow, genuinely surprised at that. 

Not sure if the original poster was fishing  for a bite but the amount of fans from other clubs I’ve spoken to who always mention the unique atmosphere at the den. A Leeds mate said they love coming to the Den because of the old school atmosphere (he also described the valley as ‘gods waiting room’). For all our faults, the one thing we’re good at is creating a noise from a relatively small sized crowd. 
    Must have been a wind up, the Dens a decent atmosphere. Been to three non Charlton games there and it was decent everytime. 
    Fair play, honest bloke 
  • Options
    Keep in mind we’ve spent half the time in League One since we came back down from the Premiership. 

Three of the Championship seasons in that time have been relegation seasons, so casual fans aren’t as invested. 

However, whatever people might say about our atmosphere - I do think we’ve done more than any club in the land on the protest front on certain matchdays. So much so that it has made headlines in major news outlets. Can’t say that for many clubs.
  • Options
     addick1956 said:
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 
    5/ Charlton. And not just putting that because we got a mention above. Nicknamed The Valium by our fans. Have sat in the away end on many occasions and barely heard a peep from the home stands, in what is a local derby. Very strange. 

I’ve always thought that millwalls away noise is pretty poor, you make that stupid noise that sounds like a sheep getting stuck on a fence once or twice a game but that’s it.
    Yeah rubbish....

People hanging around the bar and concourses chatting more than likely. Also just standing in aisles. We don’t tend to sit in our allocated seats. We’ve always sold out at your place and do at every London ground we visit. 

As an aside, someone on Millwall online once claimed that Charlton have never sold out the home ends in a London Derby outside the PL, surely that can’t be right? 
    Let’s not forget our stadium holds a lot more then the Den though. 
    Yeah but you’re a lot bigger club than us. Surely you should have at least once sold out a London Derby outside the top flight? 

You’re ground holds 27k, 7/8k more than ours. I reckon even we could have sold out that number over the years on certain occasions, especially v West Ham and palace, and even v yourselves at times. 
    Attendances for Millwall v Charlton are poor from Millwall point if view. Away end sold out and if both tiers were available it would still be the  case. We usually watch your fans fight each other in the Dockers Stand.
    Pretty sure we always sell out v Charlton, home and away. And before you say “that’s because it’s your cup final” we do v palace as well. It’s a local derby. That’s what you’re supposed to do. 

We quite often sell out at home v the likes of QPR and Brentford as well, or at least get close to it. We love a local one at Millwall. Away from home in London we always sell out. I’ve seen us play away in London scores of times and we always sell out. Even at the likes of Leyton Orient and Dagenham. I’ve seen us take 7 odd thousand to palace when they gave us the whole of the Arthur Waite stand and not far off that to Fulham when we had the whole of the away end and also filled the neutral section. 
  • Options
    When it comes to London derbies/big matches, we’ll always sell out an away allocation. 

And I’d back us to be louder than 90% of other away supports in those scenarios too.

The most hardcore of our support take some beating on their day. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The New Den should be nowhere near the bottom 5. Even if you don’t like their fans, at least you know you will actually get an atmosphere there.

Nothing I’ve experienced has been worse than MK Dons. Though it has been run close by the new Colchester stadium, as well as Wigan 

Fulham is bad, but at least the stadium has a bit of character. 

Best atmosphere I’ve been part of on an away day was Sheffield United in the FA Cup. Obviously not the way we wanted it to be, but that place went absolutely bezerk when their goals went in.

cafctom said:
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

Sadly I think it’s probably true. Can probably count on one hand the amount of non-fiver games we’ve sold out at home in the last 10 years.

Wow, genuinely surprised at that. 

Not sure if the original poster was fishing  for a bite but the amount of fans from other clubs I’ve spoken to who always mention the unique atmosphere at the den. A Leeds mate said they love coming to the Den because of the old school atmosphere (he also described the valley as ‘gods waiting room’). For all our faults, the one thing we’re good at is creating a noise from a relatively small sized crowd. 
    Must have been a wind up, the Dens a decent atmosphere. Been to three non Charlton games there and it was decent everytime. 
    Fair play, honest bloke 
    Maybe too honest, not sure I should have admitted to going to 3 Millwall games! 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    When it comes to London derbies/big matches, we’ll always sell out an away allocation. 

And I’d back us to be louder than 90% of other away supports in those scenarios too.

The most hardcore of our support take some beating on their day. 
    What makes you think that? Have you seen many other clubs away fans in those scenarios? 

This season just gone I remember you was really loud on a couple of occasions early on in the game but after that I wouldn’t say you was that loud to be honest. 
    Not a dig, just an observation. 

Leeds was the best who came to us last season and always make plenty of noise. That marching on together, got to hand it to them, great chant and gets bloody loud when they all do it. Our games v them always have a derby feel to them. Even though it’s not a derby. The atmosphere is always immense from both sides. 

• Options
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

Yeah but you’re a lot bigger club than us. Surely you should have at least once sold out a London Derby outside the top flight? 

You’re ground holds 27k, 7/8k more than ours. I reckon even we could have sold out that number over the years on certain occasions, especially v West Ham and palace, and even v yourselves at times. 
    Lol, nice try. Never sold out the home ends against a London club outside the top flight?

You do know our ground used to hold 75k, right?

Or if you're talking about only more recently then that's basically just our games against you and Palace then, because surely you're not counting the likes of Orient, Fulham and  Brentford?

• Options
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

I could also put a you tube video of our support at home Making lots of noise, which you claim to be poor. I could also put a video up of your support in silence, you could probably do the same for us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

No. That’s not right. Over the last 20 years we’ve had lots of London derbies against Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham all in the premier league. How’s millwalls premier league London Derby sell out record?
  • Options
    Sheffield United has a similar vibe to the Valley. I see our atmosphere as a rocket. Bloody hard to start but if you manage it, take a step back. Sorry for how this sounds but Newcastle may have an atmosphere but it is full of Geordies so doesn't count.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    For me, Newcastle at the old St James' Park was consistently the best. Fearsome place, especially when you had a tiny away following in the corner and next to you, you had that pitch-length terrace down one side, in front of the main stand. That was a wall of noise when they attacked down that flank.

The best ever for me was Manchester City away in 1985, when we lost 5-1 in front of 47,000. People packed into every nook and cranny and you couldn't hear yourself think under that big Kippax roof, as all those goals flew in!

But any of the old grounds with a big crowd were good. Liverpool, Everton, Sheff Wed, Manchester Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham were always good. Of the smaller grounds Derby County at The Baseball Ground, Millwall at the Old Den and Leicester City at Filbert Street were up there for me. 

I don't really get anything like the same feeling with all-seater stadia, although the Doncaster play-off semi at The Valley was an exception. That's the best atmosphere I've experienced at the all-seater Valley. 
    I can't believe any atmosphere could have beaten that 1985 match. I've never experienced anything like it, proper ground with all fans more than up for the occasion. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I remember Alex Ferguson on The Premier League Years talking about how good the atmosphere at The Valley was, and how hard we were to contain when the crowd got going. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

Lol, nice try. Never sold out the home ends against a London club outside the top flight?

Or if you're talking about only more recently then that's basically just our games against you and Palace then, because surely you're not counting the likes of Orient, Fulham and  Brentford?

I wasn’t trying anything. As I said in my original post, it didn’t sound true. But I think the ‘fact’ I heard (whether it’s true or not I don’t know) was meant for the all seater era. Did we have ‘sell outs’ as such when your ground held 75k? People used to just turn up on the day and the club would shit the gates when they thought it was full. 

• Options
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

I could also put a you tube video of our support at home Making lots of noise, which you claim to be poor. I could also put a video up of your support in silence, you could probably do the same for us. 
    But that wasnt the reason I posted that clip. I posted that clip in response to your post about us only Ever singing one song at Charlton. The clip I shared had us singing 3 different songs in the space of a couple of minutes. Not including a short burst of the sheep noise you say we make lol 
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

No. That’s not right. Over the last 20 years we’ve had lots of London derbies against Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham all in the premier league. How’s millwalls premier league London Derby sell out record?
    Our away crowds v other London clubs in the top flight? Pretty good actually. Sold them all out. Or was that the usual dig about us never playing in the top flight since it’s been called the PL, that Charlton fans always seem to churn out? Football didn’t start in 1992 you know that don’t you? 

Although judging by the amount of your fans who have bombed out since you dropped out of the top flight it would seem that being in the glitzy PL is all they really cared about. (I mean the Fairweathers you bussed in from the Home Counties when I say that, not the genuine hardcore Charlton support). 
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

And also, I said ‘outside the PL’. I heard the valley, since being all seater I think, has never sold out a London Derby OUTSIDE the PL. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

I wasn’t trying anything. As I said in my original post, it didn’t sound true. But I think the ‘fact’ I heard (whether it’s true or not I don’t know) was meant for the all seater era. Did we have ‘sell outs’ as such when your ground held 75k? People used to just turn up on the day and the club would shit the gates when they thought it was full. 

Hence why your known as the scum...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could be wrong but I seem to recall the atmosphere at St James Park in the 92/93 season being electric. It was a midweek game and Keegan’s Toon Army were heading for promotion. Goals from Nelse and Carlo secured us a draw but IIRC we were getting battered but managed to secure a point. 

Filbert Street was a favourite ground for me when it came to atmosphere, hemmed in at the side, close to the pitch and their more vocal fans situated in the corner behind the goal. Proper ground.

Loathe to admit it but Elland Road is pretty impressive when it’s rocking. During our PL stint I sat in the home end and found it both exhilarating and a little bit scary. I sat on my hands when Alex Dyer scored our consolation in a 3-1 defeat.
  • Options
    nowadays unfortunately, the atmosphere depends on who has the best sound engineers and P A system
  • Options
    Dont think any of the new/refurbished stadiums compare with the old as regards atmosphere(possible exeption of Anfield).West Ham at Upton Park,Sunderland At Roker Park,very noisy,The old Den in the 60s was a bit hairy.
    You now have the singers and chanters usually compacted in one area,leaving much of the rest of the stadia pretty sedate.(I.E. East and West Stand).
    Have fond memories of doing the rounds in my teens,and attending games at all the other London clubs when you could just turn up,Atmosphere at some of the big games,Chelsea-Leeds,Spurs -Arsenal was really electric.
  • Options
    Dont think any of the new/refurbished stadiums compare with the old as regards atmosphere(possible exeption of Anfield).West Ham at Upton Park,Sunderland At Roker Park,very noisy,The old Den in the 60s was a bit hairy.
    You now have the singers and chanters usually compacted in one area,leaving much of the rest of the stadia pretty sedate.(I.E. East and West Stand).
    Have fond memories of doing the rounds in my teens,and attending games at all the other London clubs when you could just turn up,Atmosphere at some of the big games,Chelsea-Leeds,Spurs -Arsenal was really electric.
    We’re lucky in that we don’t have one particular part of the ground that sings. When the atmosphere gets going all three stands pitch in. In fact, behind the goal, which is usually the traditional singing stand at most grounds is probably our quietest part of the ground. 
  • Options
    The old den had a far better atmosphere than the new den.
    Leeds fans whenever they come are consistently the most vocal.
    I'm afraid that for all their victories and numbers Millwall have been no better than average at the Valley.
    As for away fans saying we are quiet at the Valley it is a lot about acoustics and architecture as to how the sound carries.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Chunes said:
    I remember Alex Ferguson on The Premier League Years talking about how good the atmosphere at The Valley was, and how hard we were to contain when the crowd got going. 
    I'm glad you remember it as a few seem to have forgotten.
  • Options
    https://fanbanter.co.uk/average-away-attendance-for-every-championship-club-in-the-2019-20-season/
    Took 12th most in average away attendance, surprised Millwall was so low in 21st
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The old den had a far better atmosphere than the new den.
    Leeds fans whenever they come are consistently the most vocal.
    I'm afraid that for all their victories and numbers Millwall have been no better than average at the Valley.
    As for away fans saying we are quiet at the Valley it is a lot about acoustics and architecture as to how the sound carries.
    Yep - old Den was very intimidating to go to, but the atmosphere was good - it was the journey to and from the ground which I found the most daunting - I don’t scare easy, but it was certainly a case of head down and get away as quickly and ‘undiscovered’ as possible

Have always enjoyed atmosphere at Sunderland (especially Roker Park) and also Leeds
  • Options
    We’re lucky in that we don’t have one particular part of the ground that sings. When the atmosphere gets going all three stands pitch in. In fact, behind the goal, which is usually the traditional singing stand at most grounds is probably our quietest part of the ground. 
    That’s what I was alluding two in my post above. The location of the vocal elements is key.Fully appreciate all sides can produce it at Millwall but it doesn’t change the fact that in the away end you rarely hear your opposite end, only the two sides. Hence us having only one vocal star and it being up the other end leads itself to a completely different experience as an away fan.

OT is largely dead when you’re in the away end but there are thousands singing away in the Stratford end but the noise does not travel.