Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Atmosphere at grounds

124»

Comments

• Options
    One of the all time "Who can piss higher?" topics on Football social media!
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    The JS stand at The Valley probably gives off the best acoustics in the football league. 50 Burton fans made noise in there.
    It is a very good stand for acoustics - it’s like a massive speaker
    And the wind is usually a westerly which carries the sound to us and makes us seem quiet to anyone in the Jimmy Seed.
    I've heard some great lines as to why our support is sometimes quiet, but this is a belter...
    And it's true. Next time you're at the Valley sit and watch the clouds. I do.....for about 90 minutes.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7223867.stm 
    26,200. Must have of basically been a sell out given we close off some areas?
  • Options
    Take that suckers  :D
  • Options
    Take that suckers  :D
    I'm beginning to agree with you. I've just read a paper on the impact of meteorology on sound waves - the key paragraph is below:-

environmental studies have been undertaken to monitor the propagation of sound in outdoor environments. Major factors influencing outdoor sound propogation are meteorological effects due to wind, temperature, turbulence and humidity, causing refraction, scattering and air absorption of sound waves. The second set of factors influencing urban sound propagation is the urban topology, causing reflection, absorption, and diffraction of sound waves upon interaction with the ground, vegetation, buildings, and other objects. In urban areas, many noise sources are typically shielded by buildings, potentially leading to favourable quiet areas. However, due to meteorological effects, shielded (distant) noise source may propagate over the urban topology and increase noise levels.

Therefore its reasonable to assume that we usually sound a bit quiet because of the prevailing wind, the fact that it's generally warmer in the south than the north (have you ever been to Aberdeen in the winter?), and because the grass is a bit longer near the Covered End.

Doncaster was good though...
  • Options
    Ridiculous to put Millwall in there. Of course they are lively against us, these are their cup finals with guaranteed wins.
    As part of my dads old job he used to get free tickets and was responsible for taking adults with disabilities to the ground.
    To describe it a atmospheric would be a massive overstatement.
    That Millwall plank who has posted on here is just defending his hovelled Den.
  • Options
    Sunderland’s isn’t good at all. Too big 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    PopIcon said:
    Ridiculous to put Millwall in there. Of course they are lively against us, these are their cup finals with guaranteed wins.
    As part of my dads old job he used to get free tickets and was responsible for taking adults with disabilities to the ground.
    Be fair to them.
    They had Harry Kane on loan, this is a proper club we are talking about. 
  • Options
    I always thought it might be better to make north lower (if Greenwich allows) all standing and for some of the upper to relocate there....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back in the PL days going to Newcastle, around the town beforehand there was a real buzz and inside the ground it was noisy to say the least. And, although I’m by no means a Liverpool fan, I have to say Anfield was similar. 

Someone mentioned Maine Road, I was there in 2000 when we were fighting it out at the top of whatever the championship was called that season, Shaun Goater scored and it went mad, the first time I’d seen a surge in a seated area (the old Kippax), they weren’t so happy when Robbo equalised of course.

Upton Park was always atmospheric, even with our small crowds over there. The Old and New Dens were/are bloody loud, no denying that...although 93rd minute winners always get a good reception :-(

Talking of which, a few of us were at Inter Milan during Mourinhos reign when they got a 93rd minute winner against Udinese (a real bogey team for Inter), it was absolutely deafening.

The old covered end was loud when you were in there but the sound seemed to get trapped somehow. 

The best Valley atmospheres I can remember were the two play off semis v Ipswich and Donny. A couple of others stick in the mind like David Whytes last minute winner v Brentford in the cup, thought the roof was going to come off that night.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    PopIcon said:
    I’ve disagreed with @MillwallFan over this but I wouldnt call him a plank, posts are generally unbiased and welcome. 

You cant blame a millwall fan for defending millwall. I’m sure you would defend Charlton if the roles were reversed. 

I’ve only been to the rusty den twice, once for the 4-0 where the atmosphere was good for obvious reasons and once when the beat afc Wimbledon in the cup on a Monday night. The atmosphere was not so good. 

If we ever beat millwall 4-0 (shame you can’t lol your own posts) at home, I’m pretty certain the home ends will be making lots of noise. I’ve never seen the valley rocking for a Monday nights game cup first round tie! 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    PopIcon said:
    I’ve disagreed with @MillwallFan over this but I wouldnt call him a plank, posts are generally unbiased and welcome. 

You cant blame a millwall fan for defending millwall. I’m sure you would defend Charlton if the roles were reversed. 

I’ve only been to the rusty den twice, once for the 4-0 where the atmosphere was good for obvious reasons and once when the beat afc Wimbledon in the cup on a Monday night. The atmosphere was not so good. 

If we ever beat millwall 4-0 (shame you can’t lol your own posts) at home, I’m pretty certain the home ends will be making lots of noise. I’ve never seen the valley rocking for a Monday nights game cup first round tie! 
    LOL'd on your behalf..