Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite sports pundits

I'm not sure why but it does seem individual sports have better pundits than team sports - possibly if you've played these sports you've had to think more about the game?

Very impressed by most of the ex players at the World snooker who gave a lot of insight. 

Comments

• Options
    Football - Rio Ferdinand, Gary Nevilie and Ian Wright
    NFL - Tony Romo
    Boxing - Steve Bunce

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Scott Minto, Gary Neville, Don Goodman, Andy Hinchcliffe are my favourites

Ned Boulting (Charlton fan) has gotten better with the cycling since taking over from Liggett and Sherwen on ITV

She's not so much a pundit but special mention to Laura Woods
  • Options
    You mean Don 'I'll tell you what' Goodman.
  • Options
    Surely Souness! GIves an honest opinion without trying to make it all about him (like Roy Keane)
  • Options
    Speech pattern tends to bother me as much as insight. The likes of Goodman and Hinchfliffe have a tendency to try to sound like commentators. They do this thing where every sentence has to sound like a summing up of their opinion, so at the end of each sentence they round off like they've just done a news report. I quite like Danny Murphy for this reason - he just talks like he would if you were anywhere else, like Trevor Brooking used to. Apparently it's really hard to do cos hardly anyone does it. (Neville does to some extent but Sky's forced invention of the Carragher/ Neville cult has made me dislike the pair). 

The worst style is the Mark Bright style of "why didn't he do this, why didn't he do that" in a whiny voice. Steve McManaman is really, really bad at that. 
  • Options
    I must admit, Hope Solo was a breath of fresh air. Calling things as they were.
  • Options
    This has been done umpteen times before.
  • Options

Ned Boulting (Charlton fan) has gotten better with the cycling since taking over from Liggett and Sherwen on ITV

She's not so much a pundit but special mention to Laura Jones
    Never knew Boulting was a Charlton fan. Like him even more. Also like Millar, despite his dodgy history and Gary Imlach despite his dodgy familial connections to Palace.
  • Options
    Barry Jones is a top pundit, not afraid to criticise a home fighter which is something you don’t see often in boxing. 
  • Options
    Stig said:

She's not so much a pundit but special mention to Laura Jones
    Never knew Boulting was a Charlton fan. Like him even more. Also like Millar, despite his dodgy history and Gary Imlach despite his dodgy familial connections to Palace.
    Yeah at least I think he is... He's from Lewisham originally 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Snooker : Alan McManus 
  • Options
    Close thread then?
  • Options
    I really hope you’ve never said the same thing twice.
  • Options
    Lee Dixon is an excellent pundit, and rather underused after ITV lost the Champions League

Ali Maxwell is really good on lower league football too
  • Options
    Snooker : Alan McManus 
    Presenters rather than pundits, but I liked Jason Mohammad, Seema Jaswal and Radzi Chinyanganya.
  • Options
    Michael Atherton on Sky’s cricket coverage is very good, supported by an excellent team of pundits and commentators as well. 
  • Options
    There's an awful lot of Charlton discussions on this site - people seem obssessed by them.
  • Options
    John McEnroe is still the best tennis expert
  • Options
    Saint & Greavsie
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ron Manager. Isn't it? 
  • Options
    John McEnroe is still the best tennis expert
    Always on point - what a contrast to Henman.
  • Options
    Isa Guha 
    Loinacher
    Aggers
    Alex Scott
    Bumble
    Tuffers
    Sharon Davies 

• Options
    Gerard Healy
    Jason Dunstall
  • Options
    No interest in 99% footballers opinions. Would much rather read an article or podcast from a sports journalist. Cricket on the other hand...could listen to Sky Sports or TMS all day
  • Options
    Unless it's Shane Warne who never stops talking.
  • Options
    Mike Carlson
  • Options
    I like David Lloyd (Bumble).....great character who loves a laugh.
  • Options
    most contemporary commentators/pundits talk too much, as if they are paid by the word