Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite sports pundits

2»

Comments

• Options
    To be honest, most Cricket commentators are interesting. Maybe the format of the game helps.
  • Options
    most contemporary commentators/pundits talk too much, as if they are paid by the word
    Unlike the master.

Commentator says 'Richie Benaud has joined us in the commentary box'.

20 minutes pass and then Richie says 'morning everyone'.
  • Options
    None of them, I record all the sport I watch meaning I can fast forward and cut through the waffle pre match, half time and full time. 
  • Options
    The big change for me with TV cricket was when C4 took over and introduced Simon Hughes as the analyst. The first time when someone actually spent time explaining and demonstrating what away swing, seam position, leg spin etc actually meant

Technology has really helped my understanding of the game. Being able to see a graphic showing where Abbas has been pitching the ball or the degrees of movement or bounce in a Chris Woakes over really help put over the quality of the bowling in a match
  • Options
    Mark Steel on John Arlott...

For a while he was on television, and seemed to work on the basis that as you could see what was happening there was no point in him saying anything at all. Once, when a player was bowled, the batsman walked off the pitch, was replaced by a new batsman, and Arlott said nothing. He said such nothing I was convinced the set had broken and started haranguing my mum to call the repair man and tell him the sound had gone. Then, as the new batsman was about to receive his first ball, came a barely audible gruff sound – ‘That’s bowled him’.
  • Options
    Is anybody able to example a personal realisation brought to mind by a pundit that they couldn't have worked out for themselves?
  • Options
    I'm always grateful when a game is 1-0 and they say the next goal is important as it could be 2-0 or 1-1.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Is anybody able to example a personal realisation brought to mind by a pundit that they couldn't have worked out for themselves?
    Happens every time I watch cycling I reckon. In fact any sport that’s more complicated than it seems. 
  • Options
    OK JS here is the challenge. Can you name the person and what they said to cause the scales to fall from your eyes in cycling or elsewhere? 
  • Options
    None of them, I record all the sport I watch meaning I can fast forward and cut through the waffle pre match, half time and full time. 
    Thats no fun
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    Scott Minto, Gary Neville, Don Goodman, Andy Hinchcliffe are my favourites

Ned Boulting (Charlton fan) has gotten better with the cycling since taking over from Liggett and Sherwen on ITV

She's not so much a pundit but special mention to Laura Jones
    Never knew Boulting was a Charlton fan. Like him even more. Also like Millar, despite his dodgy history and Gary Imlach despite his dodgy familial connections to Palace.
    I'm also hoping this is true as he's one of my favourite, possibly favourite, commentator/presenter. Think him and Millar work really, really well together. Can't wait for this year's TDF. 
  • Options
    The commentary by Ian Smith and Nasser Hussain at the finale of the one day World Cup final last year was brilliant. Smith is very good.
  • Options
    The commentary by Ian Smith and Nasser Hussain at the finale of the one day World Cup final last year was brilliant. Smith is very good.
    I think there is a difference between commentary and punditry, and a significant difference between what happens on the television set compared to the wireless.
  • Options
    There is also a big difference between a commentator and a summariser.
    They often work in pairs....one commentating on the live action itself whilst the other summarises what has just taken place.
    Andy Townsend was a very good summariser but not so good when he commentated.
  • Options
    I love  listening to Bumble. Before he retired I used to enjoy Henry Blofeld, another bus passes down the Harleyford Road.