Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL deal with Sky Sports to stream all EFL matches

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I had the same, and I appear to have been allocated Burton as my new team. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I think Redmidland said he would be doing live commentaries this season (I hope so), but if not with all the games on stream I probably will not be wanted.
    Are you out of contract, @ross1?

I hope the FL realise what impact the transfer embargo is having on our club at all levels ...
  • Options
    I'm sure a "season ticket" on Valley Pass for those abroad was about £110, with the COVID situation you'd hope clubs will do something like that for all fans next season.
  • Options
    If I had to choose between paying £10per match to view a game on iplayer or by a ST that costs me around £18 per game then I'd chose the ST every time.

I hated watching our last 9 games in iplayer. Admittedly there were no fans & there no atmosphere but the camera work was poor & the buffering made it so we were (at times) a couple of minutes behind play. We had tweets coming through from the official CAFC twitter feed & found out about Birmingham's penalty before their keeper had even taken the goal kick that ultimately led to it.....about 40 secs before.

We had problems with the Leeds game & so just watched Sky Sports for updates & treated it like many away games that we don't go to. 

• Options
    ross1 said:
    I think Redmidland said he would be doing live commentaries this season (I hope so), but if not with all the games on stream I probably will not be wanted.
    I can assure you that you will be needed mate 

will be great to have @Redmidland back but your style is different and will be a good balance ... and we won’t all be watching the streams 

keep it going
  • Options
    There's obviously no right and wrong way here!

But you can understand why Accrington would prefer to go online via a system where people just pay to watch games (like you do on SKY) and don't have to direct their cash at one particular club.

Remember that a lot more people will watch Charlton than Accrington over the course of the season so we would still get significantly more revenue overall. It's just each match that is divided between the two clubs.

Another reason the the IFollow model will not survive is because neutral supporters find it unnerving to make that choice before watching a game. Suppose Manchester City were playing Liverpool in the Champions League final and you fancied paying a tenner to watch. But you have to choose which club gets your money? It just doesn't make sense!
    iFollow isnt designed for the neutral supporters though is it?

First and foremost its a platform thats designed so people like OzAddick and SDAddick can see Charlton games from abroad with the club they support getting a little bit more revenue

Its not even designed for me and you (apart from midweek fixtures), it just so happens the VPN technology is there for us to bypass it - Its evolved a little bit what with COVID but imagine when we eventually return to normal, iFollow will return to being what it was when it was originally introduced
    I think it's too late to go back the old "normal".  Football needs to face up to the Internet!

It reminds me of the eighties when professional football was dying and live television was seen as the final evil that would kill the game for good. Nobody could conceive that people would pay £10 per month to watch football on TV.

Thirty years later and football in the UK is (nearly) a trillion pound TV industry but with live attendances at all levels higher than they ever have been!

For me it's simple! Show ALL games live on the Internet for about the same as it costs to actually go to the match. (Say £15 - £20 for a Charlton game in League 1)

I'd still attend as many games as I could but I'd probably watch (and pay for) 46 games every year.  I know it feels like a lot to pay £20 to watch Charlton on TV. But really? Every other Saturday when I can't make a game I sit pressing F5 on my computer or listening to some radio commentary. Why wouldn't I pay the price of a pizza and a beer to actually see what's going on? 

Completely agree with that

My biggest gripe with iFollow isnt the fact it exists but the desire for games to be cheaper on there, when for me it should remain @ £10 for now with matchday tickets themselves lowered.

Of course if people want iFollow games to be £5 then a matchday ticket should also be drastically reduced 
  • Options
    ^^^^^
    Ditto, morts.

Did you ignore it like me ?

Yes
  • Options
    £10 makes sense to push fans to attend rather than watch online.

£5 and they'll more likely sit at home watching it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    £10 makes sense to push fans to attend rather than watch online.

£5 and they'll more likely sit at home watching it.
    VPN it is then 😀
  • Options
    Yes, I had the same, and I appear to have been allocated Burton as my new team. 
    Yes, I was allocated Burton. I just emailed back and asked them to cancel that also.
  • Options
    £10 a game works fine for me. I no longer have a season ticket, so if I go to a home game the cost of a ticket, or two if my wife comes, plus the cost of travel/refreshments is probably ~£70.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    ross1 said:

will be great to have @Redmidland back but your style is different and will be a good balance ... and we won’t all be watching the streams 

keep it going
    Hi @stonemuse and @ross1, due to the bloody Covid-19 situation my Mon-Fri job for the rest of the year from September is changing to include Saturdays and also working later hours (its so students at the Uni get 6 day and 18 hours a day coverage for their 'staggered' lessons), hence my plans to be able to get back to the match threads (as my international travel had been stopped) have been scuppered by this new working arrangement, so I'll not be able to get back as soon as I'd hoped. Anyway @ross1 you've been doing a cracking job, its not for me to come and take it off you. When things change at work again perhaps we can agree, if you want to, to do a joint match thread?
  • Options
    There's obviously no right and wrong way here!

But you can understand why Accrington would prefer to go online via a system where people just pay to watch games (like you do on SKY) and don't have to direct their cash at one particular club.

Remember that a lot more people will watch Charlton than Accrington over the course of the season so we would still get significantly more revenue overall. It's just each match that is divided between the two clubs.

Another reason the the IFollow model will not survive is because neutral supporters find it unnerving to make that choice before watching a game. Suppose Manchester City were playing Liverpool in the Champions League final and you fancied paying a tenner to watch. But you have to choose which club gets your money? It just doesn't make sense!
    iFollow isnt designed for the neutral supporters though is it?

First and foremost its a platform thats designed so people like OzAddick and SDAddick can see Charlton games from abroad with the club they support getting a little bit more revenue

Its not even designed for me and you (apart from midweek fixtures), it just so happens the VPN technology is there for us to bypass it - Its evolved a little bit what with COVID but imagine when we eventually return to normal, iFollow will return to being what it was when it was originally introduced
    I think it's too late to go back the old "normal".  Football needs to face up to the Internet!

It reminds me of the eighties when professional football was dying and live television was seen as the final evil that would kill the game for good. Nobody could conceive that people would pay £10 per month to watch football on TV.

Thirty years later and football in the UK is (nearly) a trillion pound TV industry but with live attendances at all levels higher than they ever have been!

For me it's simple! Show ALL games live on the Internet for about the same as it costs to actually go to the match. (Say £15 - £20 for a Charlton game in League 1)

I'd still attend as many games as I could but I'd probably watch (and pay for) 46 games every year.  I know it feels like a lot to pay £20 to watch Charlton on TV. But really? Every other Saturday when I can't make a game I sit pressing F5 on my computer or listening to some radio commentary. Why wouldn't I pay the price of a pizza and a beer to actually see what's going on? 

Yup, I could see myself doing that too. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Will Snoop Dog still be part of the coverage? 
    Nope, Go Compare! 😉
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Sensible decision to allow some form of income.
    Read the article. In the Championship the clubs can keep their own income. In Leagues 1 & 2 it will be shared out. So we get fucked again because only 1 man & his dog will watch Accrington v Wimbledon & poor Accrington need the money so let's rip off rich old Charlton when they play Pompey.

I really hate the lower leagues.
    I read this post without reading who the poster was, I worked out who! 

Correct though! What next, sharing our season ticket money with Accrington, maybe we can give them some of our sponsorship money.
  • Options
    Trust the EFL to come up with a complicated system to deal with something oh so simple. Accrington will probably sell more tickets than they have ever done in their history because they will be selling many more away than usual and keeping the money.
    Costs will go down as policing costs will go as will steward costing. Pitch advertising could actually increase with the stands able to show huge posters.
    The article says about £10. Clubs will come up with all sorts of prices and season ticket prices are different.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I got this a couple of weeks back by email 

Dear oohaahmortimer,

Our records show that you have accounts with the following clubs:

AFC Wimbledon,Bradford City,Bristol Rovers,Burton Albion,Coventry City,Doncaster Rovers,Fleetwood Town,Luton Town,Northampton Town,Oxford United,Peterborough United,Plymouth Argyle,Portsmouth,Rotherham United,Shrewsbury Town,Walsall,Wycombe Wanderers

From the 25th August 2020, a change in policy will be implemented that means an email address can no longer be associated with more than one club’s iFollow (or club own-branded) service.

As a result, you will only have access from this period onwards to the following club with your current log-in details:

AFC Wimbledon

Should you wish to access content on a different club's iFollow service, you will need to do so with an alternative email address.

If you have any queries regarding your account then please contact ifollow@efl.com.

FAQs

Q: I have a Season Pass with more than one of the clubs listed above, what will happen to those accounts?
    A: You will only be charged for the club that is listed as being the club you will still be able to access.

Q: I have a Monthly Pass with more than one of the clubs listed above, what will happen to those accounts?
    A: Your Monthly Pass for the club(s) you no longer have access to will cease working on August 25th and you will not be charged for those clubs again. The club which you still have access to will continue to be charged monthly.

EFL Digital
    This is probably left over from our League One days when it took CAFC a couple of season to sign up to the iFollow streaming. To be able to watch the games, we all had to sign up for match passes for the team we were playing against on that Saturday. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    stonemuse said:
    ross1 said:

keep it going
    Hi @stonemuse and @ross1, due to the bloody Covid-19 situation my Mon-Fri job for the rest of the year from September is changing to include Saturdays and also working later hours (its so students at the Uni get 6 day and 18 hours a day coverage for their 'staggered' lessons), hence my plans to be able to get back to the match threads (as my international travel had been stopped) have been scuppered by this new working arrangement, so I'll not be able to get back as soon as I'd hoped. Anyway @ross1 you've been doing a cracking job, its not for me to come and take it off you. When things change at work again perhaps we can agree, if you want to, to do a joint match thread?
    Trust me Redmidland, I look forward to your commentaries, always enjoyed them, thank you for the complement
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    The EFL kindly gave me Blackpool. They must have me down as a protester!
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Sensible decision to allow some form of income.
    Read the article. In the Championship the clubs can keep their own income. In Leagues 1 & 2 it will be shared out. So we get fucked again because only 1 man & his dog will watch Accrington v Wimbledon & poor Accrington need the money so let's rip off rich old Charlton when they play Pompey.

I really hate the lower leagues.
    Not sure it says how the money will actually be shared out.

In normal times a club gets to keep all the income from home matches even if there is a high proportion of away supporters in the ground.

But with IFollow the away supporters pay directly to their own club. 

It's quite possible that when Accrington play Charlton at home, there are 1000 Accrington supporters and 10,000 Charlton supporters watching on IFollow because you no longer have to travel to see an away game. 
    It seems unfair that Accrington receive only a tenth of the gate for a match played at their own ground.

Would it be better to split the gate money in this situation?

But isn't it easy to split the money based on those that access the game via each club's service?
  • Options

Dear oohaahmortimer,

AFC Wimbledon,Bradford City,Bristol Rovers,Burton Albion,Coventry City,Doncaster Rovers,Fleetwood Town,Luton Town,Northampton Town,Oxford United,Peterborough United,Plymouth Argyle,Portsmouth,Rotherham United,Shrewsbury Town,Walsall,Wycombe Wanderers

From the 25th August 2020, a change in policy will be implemented that means an email address can no longer be associated with more than one club’s iFollow (or club own-branded) service.

As a result, you will only have access from this period onwards to the following club with your current log-in details:

AFC Wimbledon

Should you wish to access content on a different club's iFollow service, you will need to do so with an alternative email address.

If you have any queries regarding your account then please contact ifollow@efl.com.

FAQs

Q: I have a Season Pass with more than one of the clubs listed above, what will happen to those accounts?
    A: You will only be charged for the club that is listed as being the club you will still be able to access.

Q: I have a Monthly Pass with more than one of the clubs listed above, what will happen to those accounts?
    A: Your Monthly Pass for the club(s) you no longer have access to will cease working on August 25th and you will not be charged for those clubs again. The club which you still have access to will continue to be charged monthly.

EFL Digital
    This is probably left over from our League One days when it took CAFC a couple of season to sign up to the iFollow streaming. To be able to watch the games, we all had to sign up for match passes for the team we were playing against on that Saturday. 
    Personally , I tried to spend as little money as possible on the club under Roland so went through other clubs I follow than ours 
  • Options
    Is it alphabetical who people have been given ?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    stonemuse said:
    ross1 said:

keep it going
    Trust me Redmidland, I look forward to your commentaries, always enjoyed them, thank you for the complement
    Lol, @Redmidland back doing the match day chat just reminded me when I was first invited to his house a 3 hour drive from London. I turned up with Bailey who was about a year old, invited to meet Mrs Red who was going to help me with some tracking training. Formality of meeting Angie for the first time was completed as we chatted over a coffee,  Angie asked if I was ready to leave for the tracking field. Redmidland then pipes up and says “ I’ll see you both later, I’m off upstairs to do the match commentary” and pissed off upstairs. Anyone that knows me will tell you, l don’t do meeting people very well and although I’d only met Red twice? I’d met Angie for as long as it took to drink a coffee and felt very awkward, 10 yrs later she’s a great lady and I love her dearly and she’s still helping me with my dogs and Red is still a w***** 😉
  • Options

Dear oohaahmortimer,

AFC Wimbledon

FAQs

EFL Digital
    I thought it best to get all club accounts deleted so that I can start afresh once the new setup is known.  I emailed EFL this morning and requested confirmation be sent to me, which I have already received.  EFL/iFollow efficient for once !

• Options

EFL: All Championship, League One and League Two games made available to view

All English Football League games will be available to watch from home while matches continue to be played behind closed doors or at limited capacity.

A "flexible framework" has been agreed with Sky Sports to allow all games not televised live to be streamed online.

The EFL says it is a "temporary measure" that will be "subject to regular review" from early October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53918064

• Options
    I've got the e-mail from the EFL as well - apparently I can now only log in to watch Burton games on IFollow!

Can someone advise, please? If our early season games are going to be shown live, presumably we watch through  Valley Pass (as at the end of last year) and not IFollow? 
  • Options
    I've got the e-mail from the EFL as well - apparently I can now only log in to watch Burton games on IFollow!

Can someone advise, please? If our early season games are going to be shown live, presumably we watch through  Valley Pass (as at the end of last year) and not IFollow? 
    Yeah your ValleyPass iFollow account should be uneffected

These accounts will be when Charlton didnt use iFollow so we had to sign up to the actual service through other clubs 
  • Options

Yeah your ValleyPass iFollow account should be uneffected

These accounts will be when Charlton didnt use iFollow so we had to sign up to the actual service through other clubs 
    Yes, I think that will be the case. I am hoping when we fully emerge from COVID and the ELF deal with Sky to show all matches lapses, that Charlton do sign up to iFollow. Otherwise it is going to be harder to view those away games on a wet Tuesday night when you are only allowed to sign up to iFollow with one club.