Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Shirt Questions

edited September 2020 in General Charlton
Perhaps someone could help answer these questions.

1. The white/away Ribeiro shirt from 92/93/94. It doesn't have the BTV scroll under the badge and has the trim around the neck like the following seasons Viglen shirt. While not ultra rare I'm not 100% sure if it is from 92/93 or 93/94. 

2. Purple/away Le Coq Sportif/Quaser keeper shirt from 97/98. Has Le Coq on the label and Quaser on the front. I have no idea how this came to be.

Comments

• Whatever happened to shirt tails.
  • The Ribero shirt is 93/94
  • Rothko said:
    The Ribero shirt is 93/94
    One of our better away tops.
  • edited August 2020
    JohnnyH2 said:
    The keepers shirt because it has Quaser on it is 97/98. During the season either Quaser went bust or something went wrong with the contract as we were seeing all sorts of kits. For example the home socks changed  about 10 games from end of the season.  We all knew le coq were replacing them and they were providing the kit under Quaser name
    That design was never worn until our first premier league season though when we'd fully transferred from Quaser to Le Coq, so seems strange for one to have been made with Quaser and Viglen logos unless a prototype. Though I posted a photo of prototypes for the '98 home and away shirts and that had the Le Coq logo. 
  • Rothko said:
    Did we have two versions of this shirt that season then?

@Talal has the same shirt, but with Viglen on the front.
  • edited August 2020
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

Viglen became sponsors in the November so the original ones sold in the club shop had no sponsor on them 
  • Talal said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    The keepers shirt because it has Quaser on it is 97/98. During the season either Quaser went bust or something went wrong with the contract as we were seeing all sorts of kits. For example the home socks changed  about 10 games from end of the season.  We all knew le coq were replacing them and they were providing the kit under Quaser name
    That design was never worn until our first premier league season though when we'd fully transferred from Quaser to Le Coq, so seems strange for one to have been made with Quaser and Viglen logos unless a prototype. Though I posted a photo of prototypes for the '98 home and away shirts and that had the Le Coq logo. 
    Your right it is strange. I went with 97/98 due to Quaser and them running out of kit. 
  • edited August 2020
    JohnnyH2 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

Vivien became sponsors in the November so the original ones sold in the club shop had no sponsor on them 
    There are some BTTV shirts with Viglen sponsor as I have one. Mine was advertised as match worn anglo-Italian cup (93-94 season) was this shirt only used in that competition? I can only find one "in game" image online of that shirt with Viglen. 
  • Talal said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

Vivien became sponsors in the November so the original ones sold in the club shop had no sponsor on them 
    There are some BTTV shirts with Viglen sponsor as I have one. Mine was advertised as match worn anglo-Italian cup (93-94 season) was this shirt only used in that competition? I can only find one "in game" image online of that shirt with Viglen. 
    Off the top of my head that white shirt was first worn with Viglen on against Ancona away 9/11/93
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

Off the top of my head that white shirt was first worn with Viglen on against Ancona away 9/11/93
    Mine is the home bttv shirt with Viglen. 
  • So did we wear Le Coq at Wembley because Quaser had gone bust?

also where’s those prototype pics @Talal

• Apologies if the old memory is letting me down here, but - my recollection is that there was no sponsor on the club shirt at the start of the second season at Upton Park which was the back to the Valley season 92-93. The club started that season at Upton Park in the Admiral kit but minus The Woolwich sponsor, and then changed to the BTTV kit on 5/12/92 again with no sponsor, and ended that season with no sponsor. The next season 93-94 started with the Ribero kit (away kit illustrated at the start of the thread) again with no sponsor, but then as stated above during the season a sponsorship deal was achived with Viglen.

As the club had gone so long without a sponsor, for a 2nd tier club, there was a feeling of novelty around at the time that we had a sponsor again and some fans took BTTV strips back into the club shop , after they were no longer available for sale having been replaced, and had the Viglen sponsor added. The club shop at that time allowed old strips to be taken back and transfers added, post purchase and not just at the time of purchase - a policy which changed in later years. This has meant that there are BTTV strips with Viglen on them although it isnt historically correct as Charlton never wore  Viglen on their shirts  in 92-93, and 92-93 was the only season the BTTV shirt was worn. My memory tells me Charlton were knocked out of the anglo-Italian cup in 92-93 whilst still playing at Upton Park (by Portsmouth ?) and never played an Anglo Italian fixture in the BTTV strip as it hadnt yet been introduced.    Did the reserves play  some fixtures in 93-94 in BTTV strips with Viglen on ?  

• And why did the keepers kit from Wembley never see another game? 
  • edited September 2020
    @Dennis_inthelastmin that's very interesting. I wasn't totally convinced that mine was genuine match worn but wanted it because I hadn't seen one with Viglen. Also the sponsor is not a transfer type one but material.
    This is the only photo I could find, the programme date is December 1993.

• edited September 2020
    Rothko said:
    So did we wear Le Coq at Wembley because Quaser had gone bust?

also where’s those prototype pics @Talal

I think that was more showcasing the new kit on the last day and especially in a final. 

• Rothko said:

And why did the keepers kit from Wembley never see another game? 
    It looked a bit rushed, the badge had the shield around which followed the Quaser design of that season. I guess they just wanted a more solid design for the new season. Wonder if Sasa has the shirt, would be worth a fortune. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

If you bought the shirt without Viglen on it you could take it down and get it printed on for free after they became sponsor.

Think the first match of the Viglen deal was on TV which was a total rarity then. 
  • Pulled out that programme v Portsmouth from 12/12/93 - the programme states re the photo "Colin Walsh - the man who scored that goal against Portsmouth a year ago" - I think that photo on the cover of that programme is from a reserve game at Park View Road. It certainly isnt a photo from the game on 5/12/92 given the Viglen logo on the shirt.  I had it in my mind that the season after BTTV the club did use the  BTTV shirts in reserve games, with the Viglen logo, I reckon this photo is evidence of that.  The Viglen deal was only a month old when this Portsmouth game was played on 12/12/93
  • edited August 2020
    Pulled out that programme v Portsmouth from 12/12/93 - the programme states re the photo "Colin Walsh - the man who scored that goal against Portsmouth a year ago" - I think that photo on the cover of that programme is from a reserve game at Park View Road. It certainly isnt a photo from the game on 5/12/92 given the Viglen logo on the shirt.  I had it in my mind that the season after BTTV the club did use the  BTTV shirts in reserve games, with the Viglen logo, I reckon this photo is evidence of that.  The Viglen deal was only a month old when this Portsmouth game was played on 12/12/93
    Again very interesting and helpful thanks. So looks like my shirt is a reserve issue one then given the material sponsor (plus number on back). 
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

If you bought the shirt without Viglen on it you could take it down and get it printed on for free after they became sponsor.

Think the first match of the Viglen deal was on TV which was a total rarity then. 
    Think it was Luton away?
  • se9addick said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

Think it was Luton away?
    It was indeed Luton away. I recall that when  the players appeared with Viglen on the shirts it came as a surprise to those of us there as there hadn't been an announcement of a new sponsor.
  • Talal said:
    Rothko said:

And why did the keepers kit from Wembley never see another game? 
    It looked a bit rushed, the badge had the shield around which followed the Quaser design of that season. I guess they just wanted a more solid design for the new season. Wonder if Sasa has the shirt, would be worth a fortune. 
    I asked Sasa about that shirt and if the museum could loan it off of him. His reply was, "Its in a lock up and I will try and find it when I am back in London"  
  • Such a small window of time that the photo of Colin Walsh could have been taken in has made me look again . If Charlton did use the BTTV shirts in season 93-94 with the Viglen logo in a first team game it could only have been at the Anglo-Italian home game on 16/11/93 v Ascoli  in which Colin Walsh did play- a 3-0 defeat which was at the Valley.    That photo can only be from this game, or a reserve game - its 50/50 
  • Such a small window of time that the photo of Colin Walsh could have been taken in has made me look again . If Charlton did use the BTTV shirts in season 93-94 with the Viglen logo in a first team game it could only have been at the Anglo-Italian home game on 16/11/93 v Ascoli  in which Colin Walsh did play- a 3-0 defeat which was at the Valley.    That photo can only be from this game, or a reserve game - its 50/50 
    It was the Ascoli game the shirt was described as being match worn.
  • Talal said:
    Such a small window of time that the photo of Colin Walsh could have been taken in has made me look again . If Charlton did use the BTTV shirts in season 93-94 with the Viglen logo in a first team game it could only have been at the Anglo-Italian home game on 16/11/93 v Ascoli  in which Colin Walsh did play- a 3-0 defeat which was at the Valley.    That photo can only be from this game, or a reserve game - its 50/50 
    It was the Ascoli game the shirt was described as being match worn.
    That shirt was worn for Ascoli and Pisa home games
  • se9addick said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

No idea if the club charged for the sponsors to be added to an already purchased shirt. In those days the club shop even used to charge for use of debit cards so it's possible you were charged again
  • Really enjoyed this thread and looking back at what was a great time - prior to and just after the return to the Valley - the sense of building something from scratch with no real money for the second tier, the sense of connection with the club and players giving their all and really overachieving - a real sense of pride and purpose existed.  The supporters club satellite branches started to take off around this time too.
    The Leeds cup tie in January 1993 really illustrated the point -  a fantastic draw at Elland Road and to have a big big Prem team (at that time) at The Valley for the replay so soon after returning to the Valley was brilliant. 
  • Worth noting that the Viglen sponsor was a light blue on the away shirt during one of the Anglo Italian Cup away games