Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Meeting new friends

2»

Comments

• Options
    So purchase the club and build a adult sandpit in the car park.
  • Options
    So purchase the club and build a adult sandpit in the car park.
    You forgot the model railway...
  • Options
    I’d also put a vote forward for the idea of joining a sports/interest group.

I’ve always been lucky in the sense that I’ve always had friends that I keep in contact with - whether it be from school, University, ex-colleagues, Charlton etc.

But a couple of years ago I decided to start playing football again in a league organised to help people get fit - and within weeks it was like I’d made a whole new group of friends. I’d see them once a week to play football but then after time there were a couple of lads who I’d end up just meeting up with from there to go cinema, Nando’s etc.

I was 31 at the time of doing that and am still meeting up with them in the park to this day to have kickabouts!
  • Options
    If you are in a position to - get a dog.   Keeps you fit and they are like a magnet for meeting new people.
  • Options
    Buy a car or motorbike that has a decent active club. 

Say a clapped out Mini. Loads of fb club interaction and loads of chances for drive/ride outs, shows,
    You will have an immediate connection and topic of conversation.

• Options
    As the title says, how do you meet new friends in your 30s?
    Had a few people mention how they meet new friends at work but having been in my current job for less than a year (with most of that being at home), I haven’t had any success in that department. In the past I’ve been to the odd away game by myself but don’t get talking to anyone as I am more of an east stand fan rather than a covered end fan, I’m sure most/all of you understand that reference!
    Making sure it's your first round, come with me to the aways.

We can reminisce about The C/Oakhill!
  • Options
    My wife is a member of a local church and has made some lovely friends.
    Joining a club where like minded people share your interest is a good avenue.
    Does she pray you’ll buy her a drink?
    She almost got a very big drink a few weeks back mate.
    I know mate, all good now?
    Unfortunately yes.
    I will always hate you Otto.
  • Options
    Unfortunately yes.
    A bit harsh. 
    But did make me laugh. 
    A bit?
     :'( 
  • Options
    I consider myself very fortunate when it comes to friends. 
    I have over 200 contacts on my phone. 
    I must know at least 40 or 50 Charlton fan's from way back who I consider my best friends and we still meet up at most Charlton games. 
    Plus as I've lived in the same area for most of my life I have plenty of friends local to where I live. 
    Plus still keep in touch with loads of old workmates from the fire brigade. 
    On top of that I have met at least 50 people from Charlton life. 
    So all in all I concider myself to be very fortunate. 
    We don't.
  • Options
    Unfortunately yes.
    A bit harsh. 
    But did make me laugh. 
    I was banking on inheritance. I always did want his collection of Biggleswade Town beer mats. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My son is 19 and what strikes me is how few of his mates want to go the pub. For me its the best place to get to know when people as they start to relax and unwind after a drink or two. Maybe I'm just very old fashioned.

Going back to the original post from Suttonaddick, have I missed something or is there twitter/facebook thingy where you can arrange meet ups before games? We get to about 10 away games a season and we usually meet up with one or two or more Charlton fans we know in a pub beforehand. I know there is a pre match thread on here as to where people are meeting for drinks before an away match. I'll try and remember to post on there we finally get to an away match.

• Options
    Many years ago I used to browse Netaddicks and post very occasionally. I didn’t know anyone on there. I noticed they were Having a drink up in the Maple Leaf Covent Garden one Thursday night. I braved it and bowled along. And I count some of those that I met on those nights my very good friends to this day. Our little leader being one.

Bout time a market porter evening was organised. One for when we are out of this. Tho we are old now but some youngsters might turn up. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Many years ago I used to browse Netaddicks and post very occasionally. I didn’t know anyone on there. I noticed they were Having a drink up in the Maple Leaf Covent Garden one Thursday night. I braved it and bowled along. And I count some of those that I met on those nights my very good friends to this day. Our little leader being one.

Bout time a market porter evening was organised. One for when we are out of this. Tho we are old now but some youngsters might turn up. 

It’s funny, because it’s true. 
  • Options
    I must know at least 40 or 50 Charlton fan's from way back who I consider my best friends and we still meet up at most Charlton games. 
    Plus as I've lived in the same area for most of my life I have plenty of friends local to where I live. 
    Same here mate, am very lucky to have a lot of friends, a few going back to infant school and one since nursery at 2.

One of the reasons I don't bother with Facebook is that I still regularly see loads of them and not just through football.

Have made a lot more recently since going to watch Welling. Knew one or two over there beforehand but it's amazing how quickly it escalates into a much wider circle by being introduced to more and more people. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Same here mate, am very lucky to have a lot of friends, a few going back to infant school and one since nursery at 2.

One of the reasons I don't bother with Facebook is that I still regularly see loads of them and not just through football.

Have made a lot more recently since going to watch Welling. Knew one or two over there beforehand but it's amazing how quickly it escalates into a much wider circle by being introduced to more and more people. 
    Thanks mate.

*awaits derogatory comment. 
  • Options
    Consider myself lucky to have a fair few friends, although interestingly i don’t really have any friends who also support Charlton. Have family who are, but they’re generally not so keen on longer away games, and going by yourself just isn’t the same. A slight shame i think, perhaps in a parallel universe i would have been to lots more treks by north on an away day seeing us get battered.
  • Options
    Consider myself lucky to have a fair few friends, although interestingly i don’t really have any friends who also support Charlton. Have family who are, but they’re generally not so keen on longer away games, and going by yourself just isn’t the same. A slight shame i think, perhaps in a parallel universe i would have been to lots more treks by north on an away day seeing us get battered.
    Same position although I don't have the luxury of family supporting Charlton. I grew up in the midlands so none of my friends support Charlton and I go to games on my own which is fine but would be great to have a group of Charlton friends to meet up with. 

I can occasionally drag my girlfriend or other football supporting mates to games but dragging them out for a whole day to watch Charlton get battered isn't always the most popular day out
  • Options
    @ElfsborgAddick is always looking for company (When I say company I mean free drinks) on away days.
  • Options
    @ElfsborgAddick is always looking for company (When I say company I mean free drinks) on away days.

People always insist on buying me a drink, it's very hard to say no.
  • Options

People always insist on buying me a drink, it's very hard to say no.
    I’ll make sure I bring enough to fund your drinks as well then haha.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The funny thing is people always think we are joking about elfs
  • Options
    For the older people there are groups called mens sheds all around the country. They are aimed at retired men who have lost social interaction they may once have enjoyed at work due to retirement. You do not need to have a skill or a trade to join because they are mainly about social interaction, they sometimes they get involved in community projects. I visited one in Gosport recently and was amazed at the number of things on offer including woodwork, metalwork, watch making, model making, guitar groups, choir etc. they also arranged visits and holidays to places of interest. The overwhelming feeling though was how friendly and welcoming it was. Not all sheds are as good as Gosport but definitely worth looking into.    
  • Options
    As the title says, how do you meet new friends in your 30s?
    Had a few people mention how they meet new friends at work but having been in my current job for less than a year (with most of that being at home), I haven’t had any success in that department. In the past I’ve been to the odd away game by myself but don’t get talking to anyone as I am more of an east stand fan rather than a covered end fan, I’m sure most/all of you understand that reference!
    I’ll be your friend