Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why did you pick Charlton

Comments

• Options
    My father introduced me to Charlton.

At primary school I was a bit of a tart . I went through Man Utd , West Ham , Spurs and Liverpool . I must admit I wasn't impressed the first time he took me to Charlton . I saw us lose 4-0 to the Brian Clough managed Brighton in 1973/74 .

Supporting Charlton grew on me .The next time I remember going was after promotion to the Second Division . It was a big televised game against Sunderland in 1975/76 . Although we lost again 2-1 . I managed to get him to take me again the following month when I saw Charlton win 2-0 against Plymouth Argyle on a Friday night . I always loved the old Valley when floodlit .I particularly remember from that season going with him to a classic game against Fulham complete with Bobby Moore and Alan Mullery when Killer scored a last minute winner to win it 3-2.

It was the next season that I made the transition to becoming a fully fledged Charlton supporter . I concluded that as I never watched Liverpool live so it was illogical to say I supported them . We got season tickets in that season and the 6-2 victory against the FA Cup winners Southampton sealed the deal.

• Options
    Dad was a Charlton supporter, lived close enough to the ground to walk there and back which is exactly what we did one Saturday afternoon in 1968. It was cold, wet, a poor game and we got beat. Did it put me off...........................not a chance here I am 52 years later.  
  • Options
    I was born in Plumstead and got interested in football when I was about eight or nine years old. It was the 70's and I followed Charlton because they were local and Leeds because they were good.

Me and a mate sneaked into The Valley one Saturday, over a concrete wall near the bogs and I was hooked on live football. Obviously couldn't watch Leeds live so gradually lost interest in them.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Got tickets to my first Charlton game in 1994 for free due to tickets that had been given out to my school - As a result a work mate of my Dad's started taking me to a handful of Charlton games... That was combined with the fact that I was doing their summer courses through CACT each year 

Moved to Sheffield aged 5. Dad had been a season ticket holder at The Valley for years until moving North from Welling. 

Wednesday and United reps came round my school when I was aged 6. I joined Young Owls and Junior Blades as my mates did. United sent through some complimentary tickets. I believe dad said enough is enough and he took me.to.my first Charlton hgme at Mansfield Town I. 77-78 season. Won 3-0. Fate sealed.

Took daughter, as a 10 year-old, to 13 away games winning 12, drawing one, in title winning season 2011. Fate sealed. 
  • Options
    Charlton picked me, in my blood my DNA and my bones. (And it was easy to bunk in over the Heights!)
    First game was in 1965, never looked back. Love this club with all my heart.
    Love our fans , our family, our community. 
    Have a clause in my will that i will go into the crematorium in my centenary shirt
    I love your optimism.  If I make 100, I'm going have a centenary shirt too, but I don't think it'll ever happen.
  • Options
    Just finding some of this out and trying to confirm this, but it seems I was shipped out to my uncle and aunts on the day of my fathers death and my uncle was going to Charlton in 1963. I’ve no idea if it’s true 🤷‍♂️ Although Charlton were at home to Chelsea on day he died. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My dad said that when he first became aware of football, Charlton (his local team, he grew up in Blackfen), were one of the best teams in the country, playing in the first division, getting to two consecutive cup finals and winning the second. His dad wasn’t interested in football so my dad went with a school friend and his dad to games, starting in the early 50s. He took me to the Valley aged 5 in 1970.
  • Options
    Got taken to my first match at 3, the old man wasn't taking any chances! 
  • Options
    Brought up in the shaddow of The Valley and all my family are Charlton (brother is Chelsea, but my nephew being brought up Charlton by the looks of it). Said before that I did go Spurs for a couple of seasons from about 12 y/o to maybe 15 y/o, but all the time still going a few Charlton home games over Selhurst and Upton Park.

Now have a dislike for Spurs that is up there with Palace and Arsenal
  • Options
    Great Grandmother started supporting when they first formed and Support has been passed down the family since then.
    Never any thought or chance of supporting anyone else it would not have been tolerated. 
    I
  • Options
    I lived at the top of Church Lane opposite the church,and used to watch my dad join the throng going past up to two hours before kick off,I had little interest,but one day dad said come on,it was a night game I think Preston and we won 2-1 that was it hooked 65 years later still hooked.My dad by the way was a bermondsey boy and had supported Millwall orior to moving to Charlton.After a few valley visits he said,come on lets go see some real football.53 bus to New Cross,Millwall v Southampton div 3 south.0-0 draw not a player under 6ft. ball in the air for 90 minutes,even at my tender age I thought this is crap,but he would not have it.Just could not change clubs,once addicted always addicted.
  • Options
    We lived in Greenwich by Blackwall Lane until I was five.  My brother had been to a few games with an older neighbour who was a fan but I have no recollection of this.  When we moved to New Cross Gate my brother switched to the spanners and he says I then decided to support Charlton just to be awkward.

I actually have no memory of deciding to support Charlton but I do remember waking up early on Sunday mornings at around the age of seven or eight to get the papers that had been delivered through the door and return to bed to devour the results and the one I looked for first was Charlton.
  • Options
    First went to  Charlton in 1953 just loved the ground and the journey from east London, played football for the supporters club and have great memories.
  • Options
    It took a long time for me. My Mum used to go with her Dad as they lived in Charlton, and one of my regrets is I never talked to her about it. 
    If you'd asked me who I supported when I was a kid I'd have said Man U, but I never went to a live game and drifted away from being interested in football. I had several near misses when mates got into Millwall but by then I had other interests that kept me busy. 
    Fast forward to the 2000s, and I was working with a Charlton season ticket holder and we'd talk about games. I'd go camping with mates two of whom were Charlton fans. And I found myself looking out for results. My son started pushing me to take him to a game when he was about 6, so I finally did in the Chris Powell season. I used to badger my dad and he never took me to a game and I didn't want to make the same mistake. He was bored by it but we tried a couple more times and my daughter (then aged 11) tagged along. He lost interest but she and I were hooked. We celebrated at Wembley a few days after her 18th birthday. She came down with me to the £1 protest last weekend. I can honestly say we have 4 generations of fans, but there was a gap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I tried everything as a kid not to support Charlton because my waste of space Dad did, but I just couldn't get away from them. I'd read their match reports in the local free papers, and then you had Kid for a Quid deals, and eventually pals at school talking about them, it just seemed inevitable that it was going to happen so I gave in. 

It has given me some of the best days I could ask for, and I've managed to get my Son to follow the trend so I'm not alone in suffering!!! 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Because as a toddler I wanted to keep a roof over my head.

In all seriousness, both sides of my family are Charlton, and in 1910 my great-great-grandad was appointed club secretary, so I've never had any other choice.
  • Options
    My Dad (RIP) took me to my first game on my 6th birthday (some present !). Won 2-0 against Hereford, in fact we won almost every home game that season. Naively thought that Charlton were an unbeatable force..
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Dad came over from Bantry Bay in early 50’s, lived in digs, met my mum ... married, rented a couple of rooms in Victoria Way Charlton ... I came along a couple of years later ... taken to the Valley before my 5th birthday ... no money in the family so didn’t go often ... moved to Cherry Orchard Estate Charlton when I was 10 ... met a few kids my age also into Charlton ... within a couple of years we were all going without our parents to the open South terrace ... loved watching the Covered End from afar ... by the next season, we were there 😀
    Do you visit your Dads homeplace?
    Call in for a cuppa if you do, we’re in Baltimore, not that far away 👍🏼
  • Options
    4th generation Addick who was taken to see my first game at 3. No other option from then on but always get the impression my Mum would have written me out of the will if I had decided to support anyone else
  • Options
    Born in Floyd Road, backing on to the ground, both parents Charlton supporters, how did I ever have a chance
  • Options
    Grew up in Maidstone, so my first live football was watching the proper MUFC. Remember a pre-season friendly at Dartford against Charlton where both sets of fans were singing about having no home. Followed Maidstone through their brief (3 year) Football League journey including Lincoln away as well as many others. When it all went tits up for Maidstone, an offer to all supporters was to watch Charlton at Upton Park, decent seats, coach from the town, plus a programme for a fiver. The offer continued for a few games and that's when I knew that red was the new black and amber. I've been to see Maidstone in their new stadium, but didn't feel right. COYA 
  • Options
    Charlton were always the local (league) side, so even though I didn't support them as a child - for some bizarre reason when very young I supported Newcastle, maybe I liked the stripes! -  I'd been to the odd game at The Valley and was aware of the goings on from the local paper, such as the Nelson/Bailey managerial issue or the Hales/Flanagan fight and fallout, and they were always "up there". Not being that involved though, the significance of the move to Selhurst in 1985 didn't really hit home at the time for me, indeed the promotion under Lennie would have meant more.

The game which fully converted me was the Leeds playoff match in 1987, listening to that on the radio while revising for my A levels was the tipping point...